For Discussion: Genesis 1 & 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Discussion: Genesis 1 & 2

Briefly, here's how I read Genesis 1:1~5 based on my biblical understanding ....

Genesis 1:1 is just a preface -The Story of the "Beginning"
    Genesis 1:2 narrates us the condition of the deep (dark -null & void) before the world was.
    Genesis 1:3 documents us the bringing forth of the Light before anything is made; before the world was.
    Genesis 1:4 the division / separation of Light from darkness - the first work of old.
    Genesis 1:5 The evening & the morning, the first day.

Notice that our first firmament of heaven is made only on the 2nd day (Genesis 1:6-8) and the actual making of our world (earth) started only on the 3rd day (Genesis 1:9-10) not Genesis 1:1, am I correct?

Any other thought of the matter is welcome.

God Bless

Re: Forf Discussion: Genesis 1 & 2

Genesis 1:1-2 describe the condition of the EARTH, being formless and void in the dark, covered in water, with the Spirit of God hovering over it, before God said "enough of this, LIGHTS!"

Comment

Was it really...God? Or some being with a super-secret name?

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post

Comment

Why are you trying to trash my post? Are you affraid that I might expose the looniness of your Jewish doctrinal faith? You're off the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Piilars View Post
            Why are you trying to trash my post? Are you affraid that I might expose the looniness of your Jewish doctrinal faith? You're off the topic.
            I think he's pointing out the inconsistency between your other thread and this one.

Comment

Dear 4Piilars,
              Thanks for your previous replies; but I'm rather bothered by this last one (#5 on this thread):

I understand that people on your threads may be cracking jokes in ways that could seem upsetting. (However, you've done a bit to generate that response, by sometimes seeming to speak as if you know it all and we're all benighted ignoramuses.) I'm sorry about that.

However, though I sympathize with your frustration in this situation (though not with your theology), I think it is inappropriate to make remarks like that. It comes close to being a personal attack, and close to being a hostile-to-Jews remark, and neither is particularly acceptable. The board is strongly and unashamedly Christian, but Fenris, who is Jewish, is a friend of us all -- we try to convert him, and he knows that -- and no one here is really open to your making remarks like that, which are rude toward him on account of his faith.

I'm not complaining, here, or putting you down: I myself make unwise comments when I get frustated, which happens quite a lot. Still, I think you might wish to reconsider whether the way you just expressed yourself to Fenris really represents you and your views in the way you'd like them to appear to others, or the way you really want to be. You can go back and edit your post ...

In friendship,
              SK

Comment

Originally posted by Scruffy Kid View Post
                -- we try to convert him, and he knows that --
                Wait, you are?

That explains a lot.

Comment

See, now they let the secret out of the bag!!!!!!!

OK, what's Plan "B"?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                    See, now they let the secret out of the bag!!!!!!!

OK, what's Plan "B"?
                    Dunno, convince me of the general looniness of my Jewish doctrinal faith?

Comment

Dunno, convince me of the general looniness of my Jewish doctrinal faith?
                      Look, we got Christian loons, you got Joooooo loons. Let's try to keep each respective loon in its place.

I got "Plan B". Pastrami at Katz'...

Comment

There are numerous worlds made during the creation process, but there are several reasons why I believe that the word used in Gen. 1:1 (KJV) specifically.... is Heaven and not Heavens (plural). God first Created (ex-nihilo) the materials or matters needed to form / fashioned our heavens and earth for inhabitation, thereof. In the context of the text, I see the narrative as saying:

In the beginning God Created the heaven (Air) and the Earth (Ground). And the Earth (Ground) was without form, (Dust) and void; (Empty) and darkness was upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The 3 elements necessary for all physical form are shown... Air, Dust, and Water. Everything which is physical is composed of these 3 elements. The text is correct in showing that the water was not directly created, or spoken into being, because it consists of elements of the Air or Atmosphere. Water is Hydrogen and Oxygen and came from the Atmosphere and is not shown as a separate creation.

This is correct in today's scientific knowledge, but IF the Bible were written by Ancient men, Moses would not have known this. He would have written that in the beginning God created the Air, Dust, and Water, but since God Himself is the Author, He correctly shows that the Atmosphere and Ground were created, and the Water was not a separate creation but instead, came from the Atmosphere.

But that's just my humble biblical opinion.

God Bless

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                          I got "Plan B". Pastrami at Katz'...
                          Drop me a line when you're in New York.

Comment

There are numerous worlds made during the creation process, but there are several reasons why I believe that the word used in Gen. 1:1 (KJV) specifically.... is Heaven and not Heavens (plural). God first Created (ex-nihilo) the materials or matters needed to form / fashioned our heavens and earth for inhabitation, thereof. In the context of the text, I see the narrative as saying:

In the beginning God Created the heaven (Air) and the Earth (Ground). And the Earth (Ground) was without form, (Dust) and void; (Empty) and darkness was upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The 3 elements necessary for all physical form are shown... Air, Dust, and Water. Everything which is physical is composed of these 3 elements. The text is correct in showing that the water was not directly created, or spoken into being, because it consists of elements of the Air or Atmosphere. Water is Hydrogen and Oxygen and came from the Atmosphere and is not shown as a separate creation.

This is correct in today's scientific knowledge, but IF the Bible were written by Ancient men, Moses would not have known this. He would have written that in the beginning God created the Air, Dust, and Water, but since God Himself is the Author, He correctly shows that the Atmosphere and Ground were created, and the Water was not a separate creation but instead, came from the Atmosphere.

But that's just my humble biblical opinion.

God Bless
                            I find that all to be speculative at best, contrary to the text, and not supported by science, either. I could just as easily speculate that water was created (since it is as least mentioned in the text), and that the atmosphere was created from the hydrogen and oxygen in the water.

Comment

Anyways the bible isn't to teach us science, which we can figure out on our own.

Comment

Working...
                              X