Was Jesus Really Tempted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Was Jesus Really Tempted?

1. Jesus knew he had to go to the cross [Matthew 26:39].
    2. Jesus did not want to go to the cross [Matthew 26:39].
    3. Jesus did not want the Father's will fulfilled [Matthew 26:39].
    4. Jesus in this way desired sin but rejected that desire and submitted himself to the cross in obedience [James 1:14-15; Matthew 26:42; Hebrews 4:15; Philippians 2:8]

Do you think this is wrong? If so, please explain.

Re: Was Jesus Really Tempted?

Originally posted by elicohen View Post
    1. Jesus knew he had to go to the cross [Matthew 26:39].
    True.

Only if He didn't have to, but if He had to He wanted to. And He had to because that's what the Father sent Him to do.

Why did you say this? He told the Father "nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.". That means He did want the Father's will to be fulfilled and not His own (from His human standpoint).

4. Jesus in this way desired sin but rejected that desire and submitted himself to the cross in obedience [James 1:14-15; Matthew 26:42; Hebrews 4:15; Philippians 2:8]

Yes, that is wrong. He desired to avoid going through what He had to go through only if that was possible ("if it be possible, let this cup pass from me"), but what He wanted above everything else was to do the Father's will. Since it was the Father's will for Him to die for the sins of the world then that's what He wanted to do because He wanted to do whatever the Father wanted Him to do.

Comment

If Jesus could not be tempted, then the Bible is a lie.

Comment

Jesus was tempted.

Hebrews 2.18: For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
        To This Day

Comment

A more crucial question is, "Was Jesus able to sin?" If he wasn't, then the temptations were nothing more than charades.

Comment

It wouldn't be a temptation if sin wasn't a possibility.
            This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by WSGAC View Post
              A more crucial question is, "Was Jesus able to sin?" If he wasn't, then the temptations were nothing more than charades.
              Heb 4:15 says He was tempted in all points like as we. To understand how Jesus Godly nature was able to be submitted to His earthly nature has been the subject of much meditation for many years. Jesus became a man to suffer all the testing and temptation that men can be subjected to. Through His perfect obedience He became our Saviour.

Could He sin? Yes. Did He sin? No. Jesus was fully man and fully God.

For the cause of Christ
              Roger

Comment

Originally posted by elicohen View Post

False and False

John 12:23-28 23 Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.

“Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!”

Jesus never tried to get out of going to the cross. That was His very purpose!

Matthew 26:38 My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death

This was before He began His prayer. Notice that He was already "to the point of death". His prayer wasn't to escape the cross, but rather that He not die before getting there.

Matthew 26:41 The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak Jesus is reaffirming that He WANTS to make it to the cross, but he is weak. He wanted Peter, James, and John to pray with Him for strength to make it all the way to the cross.

Luke tells us that after His first prayer:
                Luke 22:43-44 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

Jesus didn't die in the garden because the Father listened to His prayer and sent Him an angel to give Him the strength to fufill His purpose.
                You were made to think. It will do you good to think; to develop your powers by study. God designed that religion should require thought, intense thought, and should thoroughly develop our powers of thought.

Charles G Finney

http://holyrokker.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by holyrokker View Post
                  False and False

John 12:23-28 23 Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.

“Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!”

This was before He began His prayer. Notice that He was already "to the point of death". His prayer wasn't to escape the cross, but rather that He not die before getting there.

Matthew 26:41 The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak Jesus is reaffirming that He WANTS to make it to the cross, but he is weak. He wanted Peter, James, and John to pray with Him for strength to make it all the way to the cross.

Luke 22:43-44 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

Jesus didn't die in the garden because the Father listened to His prayer and sent Him an angel to give Him the strength to fufill His purpose.
                  I would like to add. Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.As in the Luke passage and
                  Heb. 5:7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;

Comment

Originally posted by notuptome View Post
                    Heb 4:15 says He was tempted in all points like as we. To understand how Jesus Godly nature was able to be submitted to His earthly nature has been the subject of much meditation for many years. Jesus became a man to suffer all the testing and temptation that men can be subjected to. Through His perfect obedience He became our Saviour.

Could He sin? Yes. Did He sin? No. Jesus was fully man and fully God.

For the cause of Christ
                    Roger
                    Jesus could not sin because the Scriptures required him to die without spot.

Comment

Isn't the Greek word for "tempted" the same as "tested"?
                      analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Comment

This is very interesting. God was tempted/tested?

Comment

Originally posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
                          Isn't the Greek word for "tempted" the same as "tested"?
                          Yes.

tempted (peirazomemos) 1)test or 2)tempt

Comes from peirao, to try or to attempt something, and
                          means to probe -- looking for data, probing for
                          information, gathering facts
                          1)test -- friendly coach, probing the defensive lines to
                          find weaknesses that need to be shored up.
                          2)tempt -- enemy probing defenses to destroy (Satan,
                          for instance) looking for a point of weakness or vulnerablity.

James uses the same word to mean two different things as in James 1:13

Notice the change in meaning.

Let no one say when he is tested, "I am being seduced by God . . ."

Comment

Originally posted by holyrokker View Post
                            False and False

If Jesus' prayer was for God to save him from death, then why did he conclude that he had to drink of the cup since there was no other way but for him to drink of it. Jesus was trying to get out of going to the cross [who wouldn't] but rejected that desire and went to the cross. That's victory over temptation: obedience.

Comment

Originally posted by John146 View Post
                              True.

Only if He didn't have to, but if He had to He wanted to. And He had to because that's what the Father sent Him to do.

Why did you say this? He told the Father "nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.". That means He did want the Father's will to be fulfilled and not His own (from His human standpoint).

Yes, that is wrong. He desired to avoid going through what He had to go through only if that was possible ("if it be possible, let this cup pass from me"), but what He wanted above everything else was to do the Father's will. Since it was the Father's will for Him to die for the sins of the world then that's what He wanted to do because He wanted to do whatever the Father wanted Him to do.
                              Since we agree that Jesus knew he had to go to the cross [point 1] then we must conclude he didn't really believe it was possible to save him from the cross. So why did he ask what he asked? To illustrate the flesh vs. obedient conflict he overcame by going to the cross. The flesh is truly weak...and thank God he rejected its desires.

Comment

Working...
                              X