More than one gospel???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than one gospel???

I was discussing the gospel with a certain brother the other day, and he really floored me. He stated that there are actually three DIFFERENT gospels in the NT.

He stated that the gospel of the kingdom preached by Christ and the apostles is not for Gentiles but only for the Jews. That now there is a gospel of grace given exclusively by Paul. It is only he we must heed. And there will be another gospel to be preached before the end. He told to look for it in Revelations.

When I tried reasoning with him out of the OT he said we cannot use the OT because that was for the Jews too.

So we must ignore Christ's teachings, and the OT prophets. WOW! Where do people get this stuff?

Has anyone heard something similar? This guy is in a mainstream denom.

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

sigpic
    מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
    התהלכו באור

Re: More than one gospel???

Mar 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;

Mar 8:35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

Maybe they had a typo in their bible, or just read it too fast... It does not in fact say for the " gospels' " sake, but rather for the "gospel's" sake.

How can we be redeemed by the blood of Christ when in fact we are following another Gospel? It makes no sense whatsoever.
    That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Earnestly contending for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints

Comment

Scripture is clear and in agreement with "Highlander" "There can be only one"

1 Tim 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

Gal 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Gal 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Gal 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Firstfruits

Comment

Originally posted by episkopos View Post
        I was discussing the gospel with a certain brother the other day, and he really floored me. He stated that there are actually three DIFFERENT gospels in the NT.

He stated that the gospel of the kingdom preached by Christ and the apostles is not for Gentiles but only for the Jews. That now there is a gospel of grace given exclusively by Paul. It is only he we must heed. And there will be another gospel to be preached before the end. He told to look for it in Revelations.

When I tried reasoning with him out of the OT he said we cannot use the OT because that was for the Jews too.

So we must ignore Christ's teachings, and the OT prophets. WOW! Where do people get this stuff?

There is only one Gospel. It goes under different names according to what is emphasized. In Revelation it is referred to as the "Everlasting Gospel". Paul calls it, in one place, "my Gospel". Yet it is the same thing. I have actual heard preachers take each of these passages and whittled separate "Gospels" out of it! Of course, these are the same ones that teach of so many different crowns for believers (soul-winners crown, overcomer's crown, etc.).

I really believe that a lot of the misunderstanding of biblical doctrine comes from not taking into consideration biblical idiom and background.

Tom Riggle
        http://asterisktom.xanga.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
          Scripture is clear and in agreement with "Highlander" "There can be only one"

1 Tim 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

Gal 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Gal 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Gal 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Firstfruits
          Very nice... I would say you hit it right on
          That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Earnestly contending for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints

Comment

When Jesus came preaching "the kingdom of God is at hand", which kingdom do you suppose he meant? What did Mary, and Zacharias, and Elizabeth understand in Gabriel's announcement?

Comment

Originally posted by Neanias View Post
              Very nice... I would say you hit it right on
              Thank you Neanias,

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Comment

He is splitting up
                • the kingdom of heaven
                • the kingdom of God
                • this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached -Mat 24:14

It's nothing new and does no harm to split up (not to divide but to make a disctinction)
                • the kingdom of heaven -- this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached
                • the kingdom of God

The reason "the kingdom of heaven" and "this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached" is considered gospel is because it is the coming of Messiah to rule and reign and restore the kingdom to Israel. Israel is still anticipating this glorious event because it has not come. These are not the kingdom of God which is now in you and upon you in measure and will come in fullness of power at His return. I have no clue why your friend said to look in Revelation for three. However the everlasting gospel and the kingdoms of this earth becoming the kingdoms of Christ are there.

There's only one gospel and that is to believe on Jesus Christ. This is done in both cases above. The remnant of Israel will turn to Jesus Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by BroRog View Post
                  When Jesus came preaching "the kingdom of God is at hand", which kingdom do you suppose he meant? What did Mary, and Zacharias, and Elizabeth understand in Gabriel's announcement?
                  First point- The kingdom of God is already a spiritual reality...and always has been.

Second point- Jesus preached that heavenly reality.

Third point- Jesus invited the Jews first to partake of that kingdom.

Fourth point- After a portion of the Jews came into the kingdom, the nations were also invited in. God has no favourites. He is not prejudiced or bigoted in any way. He wishes to destroy the possibiblity of men to aggrandize themselves through personal favouritism. This fact has not dawned on many as of yet!!!!

Israel according to the flesh cannot boast of their carnal circumcision. All must humble themselves and receive the circumcision made without hands. No one can boast of a noble birth. We are to be born from above by the will of God and not men.

We Gentiles who come afterward cannot boast of being preferred to the Jews as they were called first. We enter into THEIR commonwealth. We are the newbies!

So no man has grounds for boasting!

Israel are they who overcome through the Lord. Whether Jew or Gentile...we are all men....it matters not.

The spiritual reality takes precedence over what goes on in the temporal world. "Thy will be done on earth as (it already is) in heaven."

We are to be CONFORMED to Christ and His kingdom. If we are not thus conformed we will be rejected as many of Israel have been rejected. There is no favouritism with God.

sigpic
                  מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
                  התהלכו באור

Comment

Israel is one entity both Jew and Gentile. First the natural (as a symbol) and then the spiritual (as a sign).

This has been the plan of God from the very beginning. Notice in Genesis 35 (and please pay attention)

Gen 35:10 And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel. 11And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins;

In Hebrew it says

goy vekehal goyim

This means that Israel is a nation AND a congregation (the word kehal can mean church or congregation) of Gentiles.

sigpic
                    מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
                    התהלכו באור

Comment

Originally posted by dagar View Post
                      He is splitting up
                      • the kingdom of heaven
                      • the kingdom of God
                      • this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached -Mat 24:14

It's nothing new and does no harm to split up (not to divide but to make a disctinction)
                      • the kingdom of heaven -- this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached
                      • the kingdom of God

The reason "the kingdom of heaven" and "this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached" is considered gospel is because it is the coming of Messiah to rule and reign and restore the kingdom to Israel. Israel is still anticipating this glorious event because it has not come. These are not the kingdom of God which is now in you and upon you in measure and will come in fullness of power at His return. I have no clue why your friend said to look in Revelation for three. However the everlasting gospel and the kingdoms of this earth becoming the kingdoms of Christ are there.

There's only one gospel and that is to believe on Jesus Christ. This is done in both cases above. The remnant of Israel will turn to Jesus Christ.
                      I appreciate your answer Dagar.

The gospel is the good news of the redemption of mankind from the power of darkness into the light. It is the freedom from captivity into the glorious liberty that we were created in originally.

Belief is beside the point. One must enter into the divine reality as one believes the gospel. If I say I believe it...there is no power. But if enter in by faith I am there. In other words there is a spiritual reality we need to live from, not just believe in.

A person can believe there is a place called Mongolia. But there are those people we call Mongolians...because they live there! If I wish to become a Mongolian, I will sell all I have and MOVE THERE.

So for us the promised land is a spiritual place we are to live from not just believe in.

Jesus said...Abide in ME.

He is our nation.

The kingdom that is of Christ and in Christ will come upon the earth to displace the temporal reality for all men at the same time.

In the meantime we are invited to enter into the kingdom reality through faith. Do we believe we can walk in the power of the resurrection? If we do, we will seek for this new land with all we have. If we treat the gospel superficially, we will give lip service and say we believe. But we have done nothing in reality. We are making believe. There is no divine power in us.

The reason why men make false distictions about the kingdom is that they have not seen the kingdom. One must be born again from above to see it and perceive it. One becomes a Christian in reality when one LIVES in Christ. We then become a sign to the world.

This is the only option we have to enter the kingdom in this age. Call it the kingdom of God or the kingdom of heaven...call it being IN Christ. Where He is we will also be.

There is One God, one kingdom, and one glorious gospel that provides the power to enter into the presence of God.

sigpic
                      מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
                      התהלכו באור

Comment

1Co 4:20 For the kingdom of God does not consist in talk but in power.

Comment

To those who say that Paul preached a gospel of grace and not the gospel of the kingdom, Paul writes...

Acts 28:28 “Therefore I want you to know that God’s salvation has been sent to the Gentiles, and they will listen!” [29] [b]
                          30 For two whole years Paul stayed there in his own rented house and welcomed all who came to see him.
                          31 He proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ—with all boldness and without hindrance!

sigpic
                          מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
                          התהלכו באור

Comment

I appreciate your answer Dagar.

The gospel is the good news of the redemption of mankind from the power of darkness into the light.
                            Gospel is a word just like any other word is a word and it means good message or tidings. To Israel the coming of Messiah to restore the kingdom to Israel is a good message or tidings.

Comment

Originally posted by dagar View Post
                              Gospel is a word just like any other word is a word and it means good message or tidings. To Israel the coming of Messiah to restore the kingdom to Israel is a good message or tidings.
                              What is the message of the gospel of Christ?

Mk 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;

Rom 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Rom 15:19 Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

Firstfruits

Comment

Working...
                              X