Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saved By His Life???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Saved By His Life???

    In Romans 5:10, Paul writes,

    "For if, while we were Godís enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"

    How can we be saved through his life when we are always told it is by his death that we are saved?

  • #2
    Re: Saved By His Life???

    Through baptism. Remember Jesus was ressurected after he died.


    Originally posted by WSGAC View Post
    In Romans 5:10, Paul writes,

    "For if, while we were Godís enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"

    How can we be saved through his life when we are always told it is by his death that we are saved?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Saved By His Life???

      Originally posted by chad View Post
      Through baptism. Remember Jesus was ressurected after he died.

      What about his earthly life? Does that play any role in my salvation?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Saved By His Life???

        Originally posted by WSGAC View Post
        What about his earthly life? Does that play any role in my salvation?
        His earthly life is an example of how to live, as Christ lived!
        Slug1--out

        ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Saved By His Life???

          Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
          His earthly life is an example of how to live, as Christ lived!
          So it's just an example of how to live, and has no salvific role in our redemption?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Saved By His Life???

            Originally posted by WSGAC View Post
            In Romans 5:10, Paul writes,

            "For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"

            How can we be saved through his life when we are always told it is by his death that we are saved?
            Jesus died for our sins and rose again having victory over death! When we trust in Christ we too have victory! We have eternal life in Him.
            1 Corinthians 15:3-4-"For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;And that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the scriptures:"
            John 20:31-"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His name."
            .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

            ........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
            .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a



            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Saved By His Life???

              Originally posted by WSGAC View Post
              So it's just an example of how to live, and has no salvific role in our redemption?
              The foundation for salvation IS through Christ. Once we believe and accept Him as our Savior we have to know how to live... He set this through example and teaching. Otherwise, we'd believe, accept Him and then say... what now? We don't have to ask, "what now"... we just have to... do.
              Slug1--out

              ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Saved By His Life???

                I think Paul is right! We are reconciled to God through the death of his Son.
                We are saved by the life of Jesus.

                His death is what reconciles us to God! His life, and the way he lived, is what saves us!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Saved By His Life???

                  Originally posted by WSGAC View Post
                  I think Paul is right! We are reconciled to God through the death of his Son.
                  We are saved by the life of Jesus.

                  His death is what reconciles us to God! His life, and the way he lived, is what saves us!
                  While His earthly ministry built the foundation, His death and resurrection completed that foundation when He covered it in His blood.
                  Slug1--out

                  ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Saved By His Life???

                    I also think that if we actually began living the same kind of life he lived...the spiritual life...then the same power and life which was in him would come to us!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Saved By His Life???

                      Christ's death is vital to our salvation since without it we would all still be dead in our sins. But as that verse is saying, his resurrection is also very important to our salvation. Paul brings up the resurrection a lot, and for good reason.

                      Romans 6:8 - Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.
                      9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him.
                      10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

                      1 Cor 15:14 - And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.
                      15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised.
                      16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either.
                      17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins.
                      18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost.
                      19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
                      20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.
                      21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man.
                      22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.


                      In resurrecting from the dead, Christ officially defeated death, which paves the way for believers to have new life in Him. Sure his death is technically what saves us, but ultimately it's kind of pointless if he hadn't risen from the dead. His resurrection defeated death and 'sealed the deal' for us so to speak.
                      Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
                      ~Philippians 4:6-7

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Saved By His Life???

                        Originally posted by WSGAC View Post
                        I also think that if we actually began living the same kind of life he lived...the spiritual life...then the same power and life which was in him would come to us!
                        Hooah... but then when you begin to experience God's power manifest through you... then you have to deal with all the Christians who say that God don't manifest in power any more.
                        Slug1--out

                        ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Saved By His Life???

                          Originally posted by WSGAC View Post
                          In Romans 5:10, Paul writes,

                          "For if, while we were Godís enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"

                          How can we be saved through his life when we are always told it is by his death that we are saved?
                          Here is something to consider as we ponder Paul's intent. In the Greek, the phrase "his life" is literally "the life of him", which places "him" in the genetive. What this means to us is that the genetive case can connote one of many different ideas depending on the context. The gentive can indicate possession, which is why the translators have rendered "the life of him" as "his life." In their opinion, Paul is talking about the life that belongs to Jesus, i.e. his very own existence. However, there are other options to consider.

                          For instance, Paul may have intended to indicate, not Jesus' very own existence, (his life) but the existence God intends to give those who are Jesus' followers. If this was his intent, then he would be saying that we are being saved by the continued existence that God is able to give to us. He brought about reconciliation with us by putting his son's own existence into jeopardy. And the question is, if God was willing to put the existence of his own son into jeopardy for us, what is to stop him from giving us the blessing of continued existence?

                          I believe the translators were thinking that Paul was making a contrast between the death of Jesus, or "his death" and the life of Jesus or "his life". But verse 8 talks about what God is doing. It is God who demonstrates his love toward us, making God the subject of the discourse. So when Paul says that we will be saved by "his life" it is certainly possible that we are being saved, not by the continued existence of Jesus (which is true, Jesus was resurrected), but by the existence that God grants to those of whom he has poured out his spirit within their hearts.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Saved By His Life???

                            Originally posted by Slina View Post
                            Christ's death is vital to our salvation since without it we would all still be dead in our sins. But as that verse is saying, his resurrection is also very important to our salvation. Paul brings up the resurrection a lot, and for good reason.

                            Romans 6:8 - Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.
                            9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him.
                            10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

                            1 Cor 15:14 - And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.
                            15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised.
                            16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either.
                            17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins.
                            18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost.
                            19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
                            20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.
                            21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man.
                            22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

                            In resurrecting from the dead, Christ officially defeated death, which paves the way for believers to have new life in Him. Sure his death is technically what saves us, but ultimately it's kind of pointless if he hadn't risen from the dead. His resurrection defeated death and 'sealed the deal' for us so to speak.
                            I think Paul was also talking about the kind of life Jesus lived...a kind of life that cannot be extinguished, not even by death.
                            If Jesus is "the Way", then his life must also be "the way" we are to follow. It's in the following that the new life, the divine life, the life from above, comes!
                            It's the way Jesus lived that paved the way for us to eternal life. His death reconciles us to God, His life saves us. When we walk into our salvation, the new
                            life comes to us!

                            Not walking into your salvation would be the same as if the Israelites decided to stay put Eypty on the evening God saved them from death, via the blood of the lamb.
                            Staying in Egypt would have blocked them from receiving the new life. The reconciling death of Jesus is part of salvation. His sanctifying life is the other part.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Saved By His Life???

                              Originally posted by Slina View Post
                              Christ's death is vital to our salvation since without it we would all still be dead in our sins. But as that verse is saying, his resurrection is also very important to our salvation. Paul brings up the resurrection a lot, and for good reason.

                              Romans 6:8 - Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.
                              9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him.
                              10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

                              1 Cor 15:14 - And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.
                              15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised.
                              16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either.
                              17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins.
                              18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost.
                              19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
                              20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.
                              21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man.
                              22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.


                              In resurrecting from the dead, Christ officially defeated death, which paves the way for believers to have new life in Him. Sure his death is technically what saves us, but ultimately it's kind of pointless if he hadn't risen from the dead. His resurrection defeated death and 'sealed the deal' for us so to speak.
                              This is a good point and all of what you say is true. But I wonder if this is the point Paul was making in 5:10, or if he was making another, also true, point.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X