"WHIPPING" passages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "WHIPPING" passages

I often marvel at the way folks use Scripture. One of the things that miff me the most is the "catch-all" passages that folks throw out to others. Let me give an example of what I am talking of.

In Thes. it reads "avoid the appearance of evil" therefore _______________________

I've often had that tossed around and one instance was when we took Jennifer in many years ago. Still hear it to this day from some because she still lives with us. When Jennifer moved in with us and began traveling with us folks had a problem with us taking her in. After all... she was an attractive young lady and I the older man! There were times we were alone in the house and even though you aren't doing nothing... the appearance is there that sin is taking place!

Funny thing though. All the sinners we knew thought what we did a very kind and generous thing. The only folk it "appeared" evil to was church folk who had to avoid a lot of other passages in Scripture to draw this conclusion. I used to tell them... the only one that it would "appear evil" to was someone with a perverted mind and that would shut them up... but that's a simple example of how folks trash Scripture for their own little reasons.

I can think of others too but want to see what some of y'alls experiences are in this... maybe even some that you've used as well.

Thinking of like "your body is the temple" which is a trump card that can be used for many things... from tat's to smoking etc... anything you don't like but it isn't covered explicitly in Scripture.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Re: "WHIPPING" passages

Ah, this is a fine example of a difference between the image of religion and the image of Christ.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
      Ah, this is a fine example of a difference between the image of religion and the image of Christ.
      Sure it is... part of what convinces me that a lot of folks really don't even know the God they say they serve. Not all mind you... don't want to broadbrush it but I think safe to say a bunch.

Visit our new website
      ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
      "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Wow..that is just sad.... I didn't know you went through that..I am so sorry...
        "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
          Sure it is... part of what convinces me that a lot of folks really don't even know the God they say they serve. Not all mind you... don't want to broadbrush it but I think safe to say a bunch.
          Well, I'm not one to boast too much about that. I'm quite sure God has a lot of work to do in me to get me to spit out all the bones, which can be excruciating at times. But I trust He will because He promised to.

I think you're right. There is evidence that much of the church today is conforming to the world in many ways. Yet there remains a remnant of true believers, although the winnowing fork properly belongs in the hands of Jesus. I think that's a Biblically sound statement.
          Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
            Wow..that is just sad.... I didn't know you went through that..I am so sorry...
            Blah... just an example. I've been in and around the church long enough to not be shocked and awed by it.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Romans 12:2 (KJV) ~ And be not conformed to this world...

Used most frequently on a highly selective basis to disapprove of instruments, contemporary songs, styles of dress, etc.
              For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.

This seems to be a pretty handy catch-all to say that drinking alcohol is bad because some are alcholics, that smoking is bad because some find it distressing, indeed that just about anything is bad if anyone anywhere might find it offensive. But naturally whoever is wielding the verse in this manner doesn't consider the things they do that might cause offense, if it is thoroughly sought.
                24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
                I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
                I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
                1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

I Corinthians 3:19-21
                  19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness”[a]; 20 and again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.”[b] 21
                  During any discussions of some scientific issues, when someone gets uncomfortable this one invariably is quoted.
                  Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
                  Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                    Way, way too many in the Church are clueless as to what Life in the Spirit actually means.

Comment

My favorite is, "We all have our cross to bear" - usually said about ones relatives.

It makes me NUTS. They aren't crosses - they are blessings.

Arrgghhhh.
                      I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                      - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Well, I get tired of hearing, "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

I get weary of it because most always, it is slapped at us because the person does not want to admit they are into gross sin and act like we are not supposed to even warn them. They usually cannot tell you where that verse is found and they definitely have not read past that verse, #1 in the chapter where it is found.
                        My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

God could not be a loving God and send anybody to hell for eternity. You just got to do your best and hope for fair treatment.

For the cause of Christ
                          Roger

Comment

People like to point fingers bro. I’ve gotten called out on my tattoos by many church-folk. I got them before I was saved and now they just serve as reminders of the things I’ve been forgiven (nope, I was never into dragons, I was into satan). Sometimes it doesn’t matter how much scripture I know or how I relate with people, my physical appearance “reflects an unsaved condition”. You learn to take it in stride, as I’m sure you have.
                            Psalm 19:14
                            Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teddyv View Post
                              I Corinthians 3:19-21

During any discussions of some scientific issues, when someone gets uncomfortable this one invariably is quoted.
                              Yeah, if science had any sense of stablility, it would help.

Comment

Working...
                              X