God loves a cheerful giver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion God loves a cheerful giver

So, I know that God loves a cheerful giver, but what about when we don't feel cheerful in our giving? Does that mean we shouldn't give or should we still give and hope that cheerful giver feeling comes later?

I don't want this to be a tithing thread at all. I just need some Biblical insight into how to cheerfully give when I feel like being selfish.
    Mommy to Brooke, Braden and Bristol

I'd do it just to do it. I know that doesn't sound Biblical for an answer but I went through a few days where I didn't feel like praying. About day 2 I mentioned it to my wife and she said basically, "Well, that's what the enemy wants... defy him and just pray"

So I thought about it and forced myself to pray periodically throughout the day... it was like a weight had been lifted cause I went against what was not from God and my flesh, gave in to it.

It's like taking something for granted and then when it's gone you think about it... then when you have it again, ya wish it never stopped.

Hope this helps.
    Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

I agree with Slug, sometimes we just have to obey and pray. But......

God wants us to live His commands, not just do them. He wants our obedience to come from our hearts, not our heads. Why? Because He wants us to be free from the burden of His instructions, and living His ways does exactly that.

However...there's always a kicker. God knows each of us better than we know ourselves, and for us to embrace in our hearts God's way, He needs to help us purge out the world's ways, as the two cannot share the same domain.

It is written God hates an evil eye. An evil eye is basically greed, a terrible result of being self-serving.

My personal experience is that lots of prayer and relationship with our Master, Jesus concerning helping me with unbelief (in that some how obeying God will cause me hardship or bring me to failure) has been answered faithfully. The answers haven't come to me like a feather on a cloud, but rather in extremely difficult circumstances that showed me where my faith limits are. God shows me exactly what I need to surrender in order for Him to make room in my heart for Him to lay down His command on my heart. I tell you the truth, God can do anything in you no matter how spiritually dull you feel, and I am witness to that.

So I think the best thing to do is just be honest with God. For example, if you don't want to forgive someone, confess it to God. If you feel uneasy about tithing for any reason, tell God you feel selfish. He's your Father and He wants to help you with these things. He knows your heart, but this is how He shows you your heart through His eyes. He will do this in you. It probably won't be immediate, or profound. It probably will be over a span of time that God deems necessary to prepare you so you know He will be with you when you squash that stronghold that has you bound up and enslaved. And be prepared, but not afraid of His refining fire. Once through, you will be blessed in ways you never imagined.

Praying for you.
      Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

You can do it just to do it, I suppose. But I see no reward in giving uncheerfully.
        Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by JerAyala View Post
          You can do it just to do it, I suppose. But I see no reward in giving uncheerfully.
          But there is a reward. There is something to say for obedience in that you do it just because you trust God and for no other reason.

It shows God a first step that you are willing put your trust in Him. God says obedience is a pleasing aroma, and if He says that, we'd better believe it.

The real reward is that He will help you put it on your heart. And that is the true reward, in that you are free from the burden of doing it.
          Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Flybaby, another thought... when a person is going through the absolute worse trial they've ever experienced at that present point in their life... PRAISE GOD in that storm.

I guess be like Job and stick it out and be the better and greatly blessed person on the other side.

I think your situation falls in this boat...
            Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
              But there is a reward. There is something to say for obedience in that you do it just because you trust God and for no other reason.

It shows God a first step that you are willing put your trust in Him. God says obedience is a pleasing aroma, and if He says that, we'd better believe it.

The real reward is that He will help you put it on your heart. And that is the true reward, in that you are free from the burden of doing it.

The Lord is looking at our heart. If we give grudgingly, you think the Lord is looking fondly upon that?

Comment

Keeping in mind how Job actually got out of his particular boat....

Job 42:10 The LORD restored the fortunes of Job when he prayed for his friends, and the LORD increased all that Job had twofold.

Comment

The Lord is looking at our heart. If we give grudgingly, you think the Lord is looking fondly upon that?
                  Well, disobedience certainly doesn't cause Him to look fondly on us.

The LORD knows our hearts already. If blind trust in Him opens a way for Him to work in us, it's a good thing, don't you think?

Comment

Keeping in mind how Job actually got out of his particular boat....

Job 42:10 The LORD restored the fortunes of Job when he prayed for his friends, and the LORD increased all that Job had twofold.
                    AMEN, just stick it out and don't give in to the "attack". Defy the selfishness and give.

I feel lazy and I'm not gonna go to church... NO, go anyway.

I feel selfish and won't give an offering... NO, give anyway.

I feel sad so I'm not gonna smile and say Hi to my friend... NO, smile and talk anyway.

Just don't give into the attack, cause that's all it is... our enemies attempt to steal blessings. Just defy him and do what God wants.
                    Slug1--out

Comment

Well, disobedience certainly doesn't cause Him to look fondly on us.

The LORD knows our hearts already. If blind trust in Him opens a way for Him to work in us, it's a good thing, don't you think?

If my selfishness prevents me from giving cheerfully, then I pray for the Lord to work on my heart on the spot. I gift given out of insincerity is a gift I wouldn't want in the first place.

To act in obedience to God is to completely forsake yourself. So if selfishness grips you...then you are not acting in obedience, regardless of your attempted works.

Comment

To act in obedience to God is to completely forsake yourself. So if selfishness grips you...then you are not acting in obedience, regardless of your attempted works.
                        Sanctification is a process, not an instant magic wand thing. I don't presume I or any human would know how God chooses to change the hearts of each of His children. I do know that God tells us to obey Him in actions. I don't see the caveat "if you feel like it" anywhere in those Scriptures. Jesus can't free me from a burden unless it is a burden.

Can you please provide Scripture that supports your interpretation? Thank you.

Comment

Romans 8:5-8

"For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to Godís law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God."

If your mind is on yourself, you cannot please the Lord. You can give, but of what worth is it, if you dwell on yourself?

Comment

How can one's mind be set on themself if they are obedient to God out of trust? Do you think Abraham was self absorbed when he obeyed God out of blind trust? I'm sure he didn't 'feel good' and have a cheerful heart about offering up his son. Do ya think perhaps God wants to test us to show us where we can conform to His image?

So, where does it say disobedience to God is pleasing to Him if it doesn't 'feel right' to you? Can you please provide that Scripture? Unless I am mis-reading you, that's basically what you are assertiing.

Comment

*sigh*

I'll put this another way. If you don't agree with me, that's fine...Take what you want from what I'm saying and leave the rest. I don't enjoy arguing.

You ask your son to go and help his sister because she is having trouble. Your son scowls and stomps away. "FINE, but only cuz you say so!" Are you just gonna smile and say, "Well at least he's doing what I told him to."? Errr...no. In fact, I would hazard a guess in saying you'd probably be rather disappointed in your son and his attitude. Such an attitude left unchecked, does not simply go away over time, through repeated requests. How are attitudes changed and children made into morally compitent people? Through discipline and humbling. Such is the same with God, isn't it? He asks us to help others...but even if we do what he says, how happy can He be with us if we're stomping our feet the whole way, only truly concerned with ourselves?

Comment

Working...
                              X