Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor in Spirit????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Discussion Poor in Spirit????

    I was reading the Beatitudes and started wondering about the first one. So, I thought I’d ask here:

    What is meant by “poor in spirit”? How does one become “poor in spirit”?

    Mat 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    Last edited by Frecs; Mar 15th 2011, 06:18 PM. Reason: forgot to include verse
    My Blog
    Pentecostal Distinctives
    Easter minus the Bunny, Eggs, and Chocolate
    Pentecost: the Forgotten Holy Day
    Pentecostal Emotionalism or Worship?
    Baptism in the Holy Spirit
    Christians and Vegetarianism/Veganism

  • #2
    Re: Poor in Spirit????

    I always equated it with humility. Not completely sure, though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Poor in Spirit????

      I think it may be a contrast with the spiritually proud, the beatitudes seems to be filled with the idea of contrasts.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Poor in Spirit????

        I think it has to do with humility like what rolltide21 said, Like those who aren't full of pride , I'm not sure though
        Every temptation is of the devil, and every sin leads to death.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Poor in Spirit????

          Matthew 5:3 Amplified says it this way:
          Blessed (happy, to be envied, and spiritually prosperous--with life-joy and satisfaction in God's favor and salvation, regardless of their outward conditions) are the poor in spirit (the humble, who rate themselves insignificant), for theirs is the kingdom of heaven!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Poor in Spirit????

            The poor in spirit are those who have deeply and overwhelmingly become aware of their great need for God. They have a revelation of their spiritual poverty (i.e. lack of God in their lives at the depths He wishes to give it to us). Theirs is the Kingdom, because their sense of need will drive them to ask, seek, knock and so receive, find and have the doors opened. It's not something you "become". It's something you realize you are, and it's this realization that drives you to Him.

            Because the Kingdom of God isn't food or drink, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Poor in Spirit????

              Originally posted by Frecs View Post
              I was reading the Beatitudes and started wondering about the first one. So, I thought I’d ask here:

              What is meant by “poor in spirit”? How does one become “poor in spirit”?

              Mat 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
              Oppression, persecution, captivity, which btw Israel was. This is not about becoming humble so God will fill you. He is not repeating himself with verse 5 with a verse in between 3 and 5! This is about the kingdom coming with Jesus. With Him is the Spirit of Promise and liberty. After all, it's why He came.

              Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
              Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

              Matthew 5:3 is usually and wrongfully used to promote exactly what Colossians 2 speaks against concerning humility. In Christianity, we do not become poor in spirit! That is antithesis to the gospel. Jesus said that to those that were not under grace.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Poor in Spirit????

                Originally posted by Ezer Kenegdo View Post
                Oppression, persecution, captivity, which btw Israel was. This is not about becoming humble so God will fill you. He is not repeating himself with verse 5 with a verse in between 3 and 5! This is about the kingdom coming with Jesus. With Him is the Spirit of Promise and liberty. After all, it's why He came.

                Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
                Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

                Matthew 5:3 is usually and wrongfully used to promote exactly what Colossians 2 speaks against concerning humility. In Christianity, we do not become poor in spirit! That is antithesis to the gospel. Jesus said that to those that were not under grace.
                So, you are saying that in order to be in a position to receive salvation/grace, one must already be "poor in spirit"? It is what brings us to Christ?
                My Blog
                Pentecostal Distinctives
                Easter minus the Bunny, Eggs, and Chocolate
                Pentecost: the Forgotten Holy Day
                Pentecostal Emotionalism or Worship?
                Baptism in the Holy Spirit
                Christians and Vegetarianism/Veganism

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Poor in Spirit????

                  Originally posted by Frecs View Post
                  So, you are saying that in order to be in a position to receive salvation/grace, one must already be "poor in spirit"? It is what brings us to Christ?
                  Yes. One has to have a revelation of Jesus Christ as the only way to God---as Saviour. One has to have an understanding of one's extreme poverty of spirit and one's complete and utter separation from God because of sin.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Poor in Spirit????

                    Originally posted by Frecs View Post
                    So, you are saying that in order to be in a position to receive salvation/grace, one must already be "poor in spirit"? It is what brings us to Christ?
                    Not at all. Salvation and grace is received continually as one believes. Verses 3-9 are describing the character, condition, and reward of the righteous (verse 10-12).

                    2Ti 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

                    Jesus us not talking about how to be saved. He's talking about the effects of persecution on the righteousness and their reward. Look at who he is talking to. As if to say, ok, you (multitude Mat 4:25) want to follow me, here's what to expect. Persecution, not fame (Mat 4:24). They may be poor in spirit and mourn for a time because of the persecution but the kingdom both now and future is theirs. Poor in spirit doesn't mean they do not have the Spirit. The severe persecution those that heard Jesus say this went through and remains to this day naturally produces affliction and distress. Still the Lord is with them.

                    The theme of righteousness continues. How to treat your brother continues. To forgive continues. God taking care of the physical needs of His children continues. A description of the strait gate continues. What we do not find here is a way to 'receive salvation and grace' that has not already been received and will continue to be received by those that are being saved and strengthened by His might. There is no need for a revelation of ones spiritual condition being taught in these chapters. Those to whom the kingdom applies are righteous. He said it is theirs!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Poor in Spirit????

                      Compare with Luke's account, for clues.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X