the story of when Jesus was twelve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the story of when Jesus was twelve

I wanted to share here some notes of mine on Luke 2:41-52.

1. This story occurs during Passover (v. 41). Jesus was crucified during Passover.
    2. His parents were unaware that He had stayed behind (v. 43). The married couple returning to Emmaus were unaware that He walked with them (24:16).
    3. They lost the young Jesus for three days (v. 46). Jesus was buried for three days.
    4. His parents did not find Him in the caravan (v. 45). His disciples did not find His body in the tomb (24:3).
    5. They were anxiously looking for Him (v. 48). The disciples had been anxious about what He as the Messiah might accomplish (24:21).
    6. His parents questioned Him about His reasons for staying behind (v. 48). Cleopas questioned Him about not knowing the sad things that had taken place (24:18)
    7. Jesus rebuked His parents for not knowing that, now being considered a man, He would begin His mission (v. 49). Jesus rebuked the married couple for not knowing the mission of the Messiah (24:26).
    8. They found Him discussing Scripture (vv. 46-47). He opened up the Scriptures to the two disciples (24:27).
    9. He amazed everyone who heard Him (v. 47). Their hearts burned within them as He spoke (24:32).
    10. His parents did not understand His words (v. 50). The married couple did not understand the prophets (24:25).
    11. He went with them to their house in Nazareth (v. 51). He went with them to their house in their village (24:28-29).
    12. Mary treasured these things in her heart (v. 51). Their hearts burned within them anew (24:32).

There may very well be more parallels than just these twelve, but these stand out the clearest to me. What does this all say to you? One initial thought I had was that it caused me to wonder how much of the story of when Jesus was twelve (only found in Luke) might have been embellished, so to speak, or even formulated by tradition, that it might better mirror the crucifixion and resurrection of the Messiah (found throughout the NT by several authors). I would think this would be practiced for more than rhetorical reasons. What might some of these reasons be, if you think there's anything to that thought? Or, if you disagree, what are your reasons against such a thing occurring?

Happy to share. - astro
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Re: the story of when Jesus was twelve

What a _________________

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by amazzin; Mar 18th 2011, 08:05 PM. Reason: not speaking english
    If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Comment

Who determined that the two disciples on the road to Emmaus were a married couple?

For the cause of Christ
      Roger

Comment

13. Jesus submitted to his parents and returned home with them.
        Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Nice observation. I believe it's proof that the Holy Spirit wrote the bible. There's lots of parallels like that in the bible. Like Able was a shepherd, and David, and Jesus is the good shepherd.

Comment

Originally posted by nzyr View Post
            Nice observation. I believe it's proof that the Holy Spirit wrote the bible. There's lots of parallels like that in the bible. Like Able was a shepherd, and David, and Jesus is the good shepherd.
            Or consistancy.
            Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

After 3 days they found out the child Jesus was asking questions.... It was forbidden in Mosaic law for the priests to minister before they were 30 years old. That is why Jesus did not make statements as a boy, he asked questions. Jesus asked questions to those walking to Emaus too.

Num 4:3 From thirty years old and upward even until fifty years old, all that enter into the host, to do the work in the tabernacle of the congregation.

Num 4:23 From thirty years old and upward until fifty years old shalt thou number them; all that enter in to perform the service, to do the work in the tabernacle of the congregation.

Num 4:30 From thirty years old and upward even unto fifty years old shalt thou number them, every one that entereth into the service, to do the work of the tabernacle of the congregation.

Num 4:35 From thirty years old and upward even unto fifty years old, every one that entereth into the service, for the work in the tabernacle of the congregation:

Num 4:39 From thirty years old and upward even unto fifty years old, every one that entereth into the service, for the work in the tabernacle of the congregation,

Num 4:43 From thirty years old and upward even unto fifty years old, every one that entereth into the service, for the work in the tabernacle of the congregation,

Num 4:47 From thirty years old and upward even unto fifty years old, every one that came to do the service of the ministry, and the service of the burden in the tabernacle of the congregation.

Shalom

Comment

Originally posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
                I wanted to share here some notes of mine on Luke 2:41-52.

1. This story occurs during Passover (v. 41). Jesus was crucified during Passover.
                2. His parents were unaware that He had stayed behind (v. 43). The married couple returning to Emmaus were unaware that He walked with them (24:16).
                3. They lost the young Jesus for three days (v. 46). Jesus was buried for three days.
                4. His parents did not find Him in the caravan (v. 45). His disciples did not find His body in the tomb (24:3).
                5. They were anxiously looking for Him (v. 48). The disciples had been anxious about what He as the Messiah might accomplish (24:21).
                6. His parents questioned Him about His reasons for staying behind (v. 48). Cleopas questioned Him about not knowing the sad things that had taken place (24:18)
                7. Jesus rebuked His parents for not knowing that, now being considered a man, He would begin His mission (v. 49). Jesus rebuked the married couple for not knowing the mission of the Messiah (24:26).
                8. They found Him discussing Scripture (vv. 46-47). He opened up the Scriptures to the two disciples (24:27).
                9. He amazed everyone who heard Him (v. 47). Their hearts burned within them as He spoke (24:32).
                10. His parents did not understand His words (v. 50). The married couple did not understand the prophets (24:25).
                11. He went with them to their house in Nazareth (v. 51). He went with them to their house in their village (24:28-29).
                12. Mary treasured these things in her heart (v. 51). Their hearts burned within them anew (24:32).

There may very well be more parallels than just these twelve, but these stand out the clearest to me. What does this all say to you? One initial thought I had was that it caused me to wonder how much of the story of when Jesus was twelve (only found in Luke) might have been embellished, so to speak, or even formulated by tradition, that it might better mirror the crucifixion and resurrection of the Messiah (found throughout the NT by several authors). I would think this would be practiced for more than rhetorical reasons. What might some of these reasons be, if you think there's anything to that thought? Or, if you disagree, what are your reasons against such a thing occurring?

Happy to share. - astro
                Thanks Astrongerthanhe,

I am sure there are many more, happy hunting.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Comment

Thank you for all your comments, but I was more wondering if you guys had anything to say about my thought that perhaps the story of when Jesus was twelve might have been formulated by tradition in order to mirror the account of the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. Is it possible that this occurred? If so, to what purpose? Thanks!

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Comment

...perhaps the story of when Jesus was twelve might have been formulated by tradition in order to mirror the account of the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. Is it possible that this occurred?
                    I do not consider the Bible the work of cunning men.

Shalom

Comment

You misunderstood my suggestion. We know that Luke got much of his information from interviewing people (1:1-4), and so I was wondering if this story, for example, had over time taken on certain characteristics of the account of the crucifixion and resurrection. For example, did the young Jesus really get lost for *three* days? This is more what I'm talking about.

Comment

You misunderstood my suggestion. We know that Luke got much of his information from interviewing people (1:1-4), and so I was wondering if this story, for example, had over time taken on certain characteristics of the account of the crucifixion and resurrection. For example, did the young Jesus really get lost for *three* days? This is more what I'm talking about.
                        I was rather stunned by the initial reaction to your OP, but now I think you will hear a chorus of boos.

Personally, I'm very open to your suggestion.
                        sigpic

Comment

I personally don't think the story took on any characteristics but rather a representaion of those exact events. This is why Gods wword is so vibrant and exciting to go through because His fingerprints are everywhere, only He could put together a collection of writings over several thousand years from at least 40 authors and call it His word. I don't think God would tell anything through His Word that wasn't true just by his very nature with the exception of Parables which are understood to be storys to illistrate a point. we are talking about the life of His Son, would God allow parts of His life to take on false accounts just to link to two events. He is God, he could easily just plan the events.
                          E ku'u lesu, ku'u Ho'ola
                          'O'oe ke ala,
                          A me ka 'oia'i'o
                          A me Keolamauloa
                          'Amene

My Jesus, My savior. You are the way, the truth and the everlasting life. Amen

Comment

Thank you for all your comments, but I was more wondering if you guys had anything to say about my thought that perhaps the story of when Jesus was twelve might have been formulated by tradition in order to mirror the account of the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. Is it possible that this occurred? If so, to what purpose? Thanks!
                            I read your list of comparisons and didn't find them to be parallel.

Comment

astrongerthanhe:

While I appreciate what you are saying, I would have to respectfully agree with Phish and Servant89 on this one. I see it as much more likely that God superintended/orchestrated/engineered the circumstances of the life of His Son so that every aspect of it had deep spiritual significance, rather than human authors adding on false/untrue traditions to make His life fit some sort of pattern. Luke was divinely inspired to write what he did, so he didn't need to lie/make things up in order for the stories he wrote to fit some sort of arbitrary and/or predetermined pattern he decided on himself ahead of time before he started writing. Besides, if he did add things/traditions/lies to the stories to make them fit some sort of pattern, and it was found out later that he did so, that would discredit both himself as a historian and his message as an evangelist. That's how I see it, anyways. God bless, and have a great night in the Lord!

Yours in Christ,

Benjamin
                              "Mark the blameless man, and behold the upright; for the man of peace will have a posterity." Psalms 37:37, NASB

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." Matthew 5:9, NASB

"The only people who do not see Christ and his teachings as nonviolent are Christians."
                              Mohandas K. Gandhi

"Fighting to preserve peace is like [expletive deleted] to preserve virginity." Dr. Stanley Hauerwas, Gilbert T. Rowe Professor of Theological Ethics, Duke University Divinity School

Comment

Working...
                              X