Geneologies in Matthew/ Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geneologies in Matthew/ Chronicles

I am posting this to help another member, who can remain nameless, or post below. They what to know why the Geneologies don't match. Thank you.

BIG SofTy The forum's Servant of Truth.
    1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Matthew follows Jesus' Kingly (Solomon) lineage (through Joseph son of Jacob);

Luke follows Jesus' Priestly Messianic (Nathan instead of Solomon) lineage(through Mary, daughter of Heli).

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
      Matthew follows Jesus' Kingly (Solomon) lineage (through Joseph son of Jacob);

Luke follows Jesus' Priestly Messianic (Nathan instead of Solomon) lineage(through Mary, daughter of Heli).
      Greetings David,

I agree, and believe the differing genealogical lines also confirm Jesus' human nature; i.e. the line going back to Adam, as well as His divine or supernatural nature; through Abraham.

Blessings,
      Rw

Comment

The Chronicler is following the historic line of kings (found in the book of Kings) and changing the theological reasoning for the Exile to Babylon.

Matthew is trying to say something about Jesus through the use of 14x3 generations with the emphasis on David the King, the (return from) Exile, and then Christ. As well he specifically mentions individuals to say something about Jesus: David (obviously), but so with Zerubbabel, Eleazar, Sadok, etc; and with the women: Ruth, Tamar, the wife of Urriah. Each name is important once you know what role each person gives to the plan of redemption for God. The height of Israel's history, says Matthew, is seen in light of these people and the events of Davidic kingship and the Exile; and this great moment is Christ.

What is important is to realize just how much Matthew is saying in this genealogy about Jesus and the history of Israel. As well we should remember that we cannot hold Matthew to our current standards of historigraphy. We cannot demand that he give all the exact names in order, because then we miss what he is actually trying to say. We must let Matthew's purpose and intentions shine clearly through the geneology, and not impose our own preconditional misunderstandings upon it.
        ~Clay

Comment

I, that shall remain nameless, will include here my original post.

Originally posted by Emanate
          I would like to see other's opinions about a passage of scripture that has troubled me for years.

Matthew 1:17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.

If we compare the preceding genealogy as recorded by Matthew to the same geneaology found in the book of 1 Chronicles, Chapter 3, we find four names have been omitted in Matthew's genealogy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I thought it might help if I were able to talk it out.

Included is a rough draft of genealogies listed in the differing locations, starting from King David:

Tanak- Brit Chadasha
          David- David
          Solomon- Solomon
          Rehoboam- Roboam
          Abia- Abia
          Asa- Asa
          Jehoshaphat- Josaphat
          Joram- Joram
          Ahaziah- Ozias
          Joash- **********
          Amaziah- **********
          Azariah- **********
          Jotham- Joatham
          Ahaz- Achaz
          Hezekiah- Ezekias
          Manassah- Manasses
          Amon- Amon
          Josiah- Josias
          Jehoiakim- **********
          Jeconiah- Jechonias
          Salathiel- Salathiel
          *Zerubbabel- Zorobabel

*Zerubabbel is the son of Pedaiah, the brother of Salathiel.

Last edited by Emanate; Sep 26th 2008, 06:06 PM. Reason: frivolity

Comment

Since Matthew is the regal genealogy some of the names that were left out are the ones blotted out for idolatry.

Here is a link that may help you. See comments at the bottom on those names.

Comment

Cool thread. I thank the OP for starting it. I have no comments because I haven't studied this, but I appreciate the posts, they will really be an aid when I study them.

Bless you all.
              Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Teke View Post
                Since Matthew is the regal genealogy some of the names that were left out are the ones blotted out for idolatry.

Here is a link that may help you. See comments at the bottom on those names.
                While I agree that the names were probably omitted because they were 'ungodly' kings, we must also bear in mind, as I am sure you are aware, that it was quite a normal procedure to leave names out of genealogies, especially when numbering was involved. Here there was the deliberate intention of having three fourteens (or six sevens) in order to indicate the divine perfection of the line..

Comment

Originally posted by petepet View Post
                  While I agree that the names were probably omitted because they were 'ungodly' kings, we must also bear in mind, as I am sure you are aware, that it was quite a normal procedure to leave names out of genealogies, especially when numbering was involved. Here there was the deliberate intention of having three fourteens (or six sevens) in order to indicate the divine perfection of the line..
                  I agree. The Hebrew language original developed from numbers.
                  I also find that an answer is usually in scripture if you dig around enough.

Comment

I thought Jewish heritage was determined through the mother. so for Jesus to be king Matthew would have to be Mary's line.
                    Christianity is a leap of faith, not the abandonment of logic.

Comment

Originally posted by 1of7000 View Post
                      I thought Jewish heritage was determined through the mother. so for Jesus to be king Matthew would have to be Mary's line.

In Judaism, lineage was changed from the father to the mother during the times of the crusades and pogroms. The reason being rape. In this cases the Rabbis determined that the lineage be traced to the mother for means of maintaining Jewish heritage for children born in the case of the aforementioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Emanate View Post
                        In Judaism, lineage was changed from the father to the mother during the times of the crusades and pogroms. The reason being rape. In this cases the Rabbis determined that the lineage be traced to the mother for means of maintaining Jewish heritage for children born in the case of the aforementioned.
                        the information i've read said that the shift was instituted at the return of the babylonian captivity,(ezra-nehemiah), probably for the same reason,you can always know who the mother is.
                        Christianity is a leap of faith, not the abandonment of logic.

Comment

Working...
                        X