Questions in Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions in Mark

Sorry about all my posts, but I just find this very interesting and I want to hear other peoples views on excepts that I think are important, maybe to see them in a different way. My first question comes from Mark 11:21 regarding the Fig tree. I was wondering, is there an underlying meaning or importance of this tree, because I am having a hard time wrapping my arms around this. Any Help would be appreciated.

found the following in a search:
    In ancient times, to “curse” a person or object was equivalent to pronouncing doom or destruction upon that person or thing. The fig tree was a symbol of the fruitless Jewish nation, and this was a visual aid lesson which prophesied the coming fate of national Israel.
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

What karenoka27 said.
      ----------------------------------------------
      When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Hi dbrace,
        I agree with karenoka and Literalist-Luke. The fig tree alludes to fruitless Israel.
        It is also a lesson for us. We (having now been grafted into Jesus) are to bear fruit.

This begins with the fruit of the Spirit.
        But the fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith,
        meekness, self-control. Against such things there is not a law.
        Galatians 5:22,23

This fruit does not come all at once. It is part of our life long process of growth.

After many years, I continue to learn from the richness of God’s Word.
        Keep at it - and may the Lord bless you with insight into His goodness and His love for you.

Richard

Comment

So right. Jesus was using the fig tree as an object lesson regarding Israel's fruitless state and spiritual hypocricy.
          "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

Comment

Originally posted by dbrace View Post
            I was wondering, is there an underlying meaning or importance of this tree, because I am having a hard time wrapping my arms around this. Any Help would be appreciated.
            Yes there is a symbolism to the tree, itself, outside of the fact that it represents Israel, in this situation.
            In the Time of Hezekiah, the king of Judea, Assyria was capturing the cities and deporting the inhabitants to the opposite end of their empire.
            The ambassador from the Assyrians tried to entice the inhabitants of Jerusalem to give up, by telling them they would be able to safely go back, each person, to their own fig tree.
            So you can make the analogy that it was a false choice to think you could, after the ministry of Christ, be able to ignore him and go on with your previous religion.

Comment

Working...
            X