In The Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In The Bible

I hear many people say if something is not in the Bible, we shouldn't believe it, and I agree. But what if there are examples of something in the Bible? I'm specifically referring to people being told when they will die, such as Hezekiah, Hananiah, and the Rich Farmer (Luke 12).

Or swift judgment such as on Korah and Anannias & Sapphira.

Or of God giving visions of future events.
    "What then? ſhal we ſinne, becauſe we are not vnder the Law, but vnder grace? God forbid."

Romaines vi.15 - 1560 Geneva Bible

Re: In The Bible

Gilligan, go back to the hut. Your "friend" that is the acknowledged false prophet LIED when he told you that God told him when you would die, and that was years ago, remember?

Now then, if God actually tells you when you will die, then I am quite certain that you will die like God says! But I think that the odds of God actually telling you the date of your death are quite remote...

Comment

His "explaination" as to why it didn't happen was that I improved on rage issues, especially toward my family, God didn't take me. He gave a seperate message about a head injury if I didn't work on it, but I thought they were two different things.
      "What then? ſhal we ſinne, becauſe we are not vnder the Law, but vnder grace? God forbid."

Comment

Yeah, and my horoscope says that for an ugly old man I look pretty good.

Comment

Actually, I wasn't referring to just my friend. My main question was what if there are examples of something in the Bible? I have had people tell me to go only by the Bible. If true, what do I do when the Bible does say something happens sometimes? This only makes things more confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
            Gilligan, go back to the hut. Your "friend" that is the acknowledged false prophet LIED when he told you that God told him when you would die, and that was years ago, remember?

Now then, if God actually tells you when you will die, then I am quite certain that you will die like God says! But I think that the odds of God actually telling you the date of your death are quite remote...

I agree, im not sure He will say the date, not that He couldnt.

I had a simular dream not long after i believed Jesus is Christ.

Short form.
            In my dream i went into a place and spoke with a man for awhile beside a tree, underground.
            Then sort of like a rollercoaster, i went through picture's and when that finished ended up with a multitude of people, very few i knew and most i didnt (physical recognition) and I said to one I knew in this life "See the Lord is true"
            We were then led to a place I cant even describe, but there was a very large tree in this amazingly beautiful place and i felt, well free.

Anyways from this dream ive always felt i would "go away" before some of the people i recognized later on in the dream and was grouped with. (one of the recognized is less than a year younger than i am)
            So in other words, I was kind of being told when i would die, but not specifically to the point.

Now this is what i thought death was before i believed in Christ, i wasnt sure but most likely nothingness.
            This dream came to me pretty early in my scripture study and at that time I thought death was instantly I would be led to heaven to be with God.
            So yeah i just shared those two last things so you could get a grasp on my mental thoughts in both situations.

Comment

I agree, I dont think you should listen to this man, mainly because when god told a prophet, lets say Jeremiah that Babylon would destroy and capture Judah, what happened, Babylon destroyed and captured Judah, so if god told this man when you would die, don't you think you would of died, I mean it is god were talking about, not some bipolar person.
              Every temptation is of the devil, and every sin leads to death.

Comment

That is good to know after the fact. But how are we supposed to know if a message is from God or not before the scheduled time of fulfillment? If someone is told they will be taken home to Heaven by age 47, how are they supposed to know if it's a false prophecy at age 44 ?

Comment

Yeah, and my horoscope says that for an ugly old man I look pretty good.
                  Yea, mine said the same thing about you... must be true then!

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan View Post
                    That is good to know after the fact. But how are we supposed to know if a message is from God or not before the scheduled time of fulfillment? If someone is told they will be taken home to Heaven by age 47, how are they supposed to know if it's a false prophecy at age 44 ?
                    If your willing, you could pm me the prophecy.

Comment

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

Shalom

Comment

Jesus said his sheep knows his voice.
                        For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Actually, I wasn't referring to just my friend. My main question was what if there are examples of something in the Bible? I have had people tell me to go only by the Bible. If true, what do I do when the Bible does say something happens sometimes? This only makes things more confusing.
                          Examples of something in the Bible merely means that God sometimes chooses to work that way. Since God is God, God gets to decide how he works, when he works, and if he does something that he's never done before. It's one of the perks of the job I guess.

In Ezekiel 24 we see God telling his prophet about the impending death of his wife. What can we conclude from this? That Ezekiel was told his wife would be taken from him. It doesn't mean I'm going to be told when my wife will be taken from me, nor that I won't predecease her, nor anything else relating to when we're going to die nor the sequence.

Going back to your friend who told you about the time of your death, if someone claims to be speaking on God's behalf but gets things so badly wrong I wouldn't listen to them any more. A message that says "if you don't repent this is how you'll be punished" is one thing but simply saying something will happen and then coming up with excuses as to why it didn't doesn't sound like very convincing prophecy to me.

On the note of what to believe relating to things that aren't in the Bible. The Bible tells us a lot of good stuff but it's not an exhaustive list of every fact known to man. I've got a broken clock over my fireplace but I doubt you'll find any verses in the Bible to confirm that - the fact it's not stated in the Bible doesn't mean it isn't true.
                          24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
                          I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
                          I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
                          1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

Partly from the gift of discernment, potentially considering the track record of the speaker, partly from God confirming things through other means.

If God wanted you to know the day you would die in this day and age I suspect he would send a message in a way that made it perfectly clear not only that it would happen but that the person delivering the message was delivering something directly from God.
                            24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
                            I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
                            I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
                            1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

If you knew for certain, 100% sure, that you would die tomorrow, would it change the way you live your life today?

If the answer is "yes," then you need to change the way you live your life today.

Comment

Working...
                              X