Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Law, the New Covenant, and the Feasts

Originally posted by rejoice44 View Post
    Saul was not given the option of how he would serve the Lord. God never gave Israel the option for the method of how they would keep the Passover. The lamb had to be slain and the blood put on the door posts. The Lamb was to be completely eaten, and if there was any leftover it was to be burnt. The person partaking of the Passover had to be ritually clean, meaning there had to be a Temple or Tabernacle, and a Priest.
    Where are you getting your information? Where does it say anything about being ritually clean to keep the passover?

Comment

Jesus is the real thing, the metaphor was the animal.
      Not sure what you mean here. They are both real. Just because one thing is a metaphor for another thing doesn't mean it isn't real.

Nobody is keeping the law, that is the point, it is all a farce.
      Jewish people celebrate the Passover every year. So I don't know what you mean or what point you are trying to make.

Comment

Wow,

Maybe I misses the great discussion about all the ways communion could be used in scriptural manners to glorify the Lord...?
        * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
        ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
        ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

Originally posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
          Wow,

Maybe I misses the great discussion about all the ways communion could be used in scriptural manners to glorify the Lord...?
          Scriptural manners?

Comment

Originally posted by BroRog View Post
            Where are you getting your information? Where does it say anything about being ritually clean to keep the passover?
            Numbers 9:6 And there were certain men, who were defiled by the dead body of a man, that they could not keep the passover on that day: and they came before Moses and before Aaron on that day:

Just ask Fenris, it is the reason he gave for not being able to keep the Passover.

No red heifer, no priest, no temple.

Comment

Not sure what you mean here. They are both real. Just because one thing is a metaphor for another thing doesn't mean it isn't real.
              The metaphor is depicting the real thing, when the real thing is in place there is no longer a need for a metaphor.

Jewish people celebrate the Passover every year. So I don't know what you mean or what point you are trying to make.
              The Jewish people may celebrate the Passover, but they do not keep the Passover as commanded by God. The Jewish people do not keep the law, though they do celebrate it. They cannot keep the law because the heart of the law is embedded in the Temple and the Priest, which they do not have, because they rejected the Messiah who is their Temple and their High Priest.

(Note-Fenris says is is God's fault that they cannot keep the law. I believe that Fenris feels like God has abandoned them for two thousand years, but in reality it is the Jews that have left God, when the rejected God's son.)

Comment

The metaphor is depicting the real thing, when the real thing is in place there is no longer a need for a metahpor.
                I think you mean 'type' and 'antitype'. But I get what you are saying.
                Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrimtozion View Post
                  I think you mean 'type' and 'antitype'. But I get what you are saying.
                  Metaphor has a rather broad meaning, which should cover the comparison of a lamb and Jesus Christ.

Definitions of metaphor (n)

met·a·phor [ méttə fàwr ]
                  • implicit comparison: the use to describe somebody or something of a word or phrase that is not meant literally but by means of a vivid comparison expresses something about him, her, or it, e.g. saying that somebody is a snake
                  • figurative language: all language that involves figures of speech or symbolism and does not literally represent real things
                  • symbol: one thing used or considered to represent another

• ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  • metaphor - definition and examples of metaphors - figures of speech

Definition: A figure of speech in which an implied comparison is made between two unlike things that actually have something in common. Adjective: metaphorical.
                    grammar.about.com/od/mo/g/metaphorterm.htm

A lamb does have something in common with Jesus Christ. A lamb gets led to the slaughter, and so was Jesus Christ sacrificed by the Father for our sins.

Comment

Metaphor has a rather broad meaning, which should cover the comparison of a lamb and Jesus Christ.

Definitions of metaphor (n)

met·a·phor [ méttə fàwr ]
                    • implicit comparison: the use to describe somebody or something of a word or phrase that is not meant literally but by means of a vivid comparison expresses something about him, her, or it, e.g. saying that somebody is a snake
                    • figurative language: all language that involves figures of speech or symbolism and does not literally represent real things
                    • symbol: one thing used or considered to represent another

• ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    • metaphor - definition and examples of metaphors - figures of speech

Definition: A figure of speech in which an implied comparison is made between two unlike things that actually have something in common. Adjective: metaphorical.
                      grammar.about.com/od/mo/g/metaphorterm.htm

A lamb does have something in common with Jesus Christ. A lamb gets led to the slaughter, and so was Jesus Christ sacrificed by the Father for our sins.
                    Problem being that a metaphor never actually refers to something real, whereas the Passover lamb was a real animal in a real Passover in a real culture. That is why the proper term is a type, not a metaphor.
                    Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrimtozion View Post
                      Problem being that a metaphor never actually refers to something real, whereas the Passover lamb was a real animal in a real Passover in a real culture. That is why the proper term is a type, not a metaphor.
                      I'm sorry, where did you get the idea that a metaphor doesn't refer to something real?

Comment

I'm sorry, where did you get the idea that a metaphor doesn't refer to something real?
                        I got it from my mind.

Comment

Wow,

Scriptural manners?
                          1 Corinthians 11:23-26

Institution of the Lord’s Supper

23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”
                          26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.

I know that communion fits into a narrow nich in most churches.

In the op, it was suggested that EVEN the practice may be too often.

I have seen the Lord use communion for various purposes... what have you seen?
                          * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
                          ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

[U][B]

I have seen the Lord use communion for various purposes... what have you seen?[/COLOR][/FONT]
                            Healing, hope, salvation and so much more
                            The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                            God plants in our hearts
                            to remind us
                            there are better things ahead.
                            -Holley Gerth

Comment

I copied the last 2 posts off and posted them in a new thread so as not to de-rail this one.

The new thread is here;

Communion: Outside the box...?

Comment

I copied the last 2 posts off and posted them in a new thread so as not to de-rail this one.

The new thread is here;

Communion: Outside the box...?
                                And to lay this thread to rest: No priesthood, no temple, a replaced Old Covenant = no feasts for the NT Believer unless they have a specific desire to hold to Jewish customs.

Comment

Working...
                                X