The Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Law

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangeably with, "law," "commandments," "judgments," "precepts," "statutes,"testimonies"...

His Word = His law.

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you, and CAUSE YOU to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments and do them." Ezek 36:26,27.

We have abused grace:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Ga 2:20.

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" Rom 6:1.

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." Rom 3:31.

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.

When Moses disobeyed the Lord and struck the rock, God charged him with unbelief. Num 20:12. When the children of Israel disobeyed the Lord, they were not able to enter The Promised Land, because of unbelief. Heb 3:19. Unbelief comes out of an evil heart. Heb 3:12.

Disobedience = Unbelief
    Obedience = Faith

Rom 16:26 refers to "the obedience of faith."

"By faith Abraham...obeyed." Heb 11:8.

Jesus said, "Not every one that SAITH, Lord, Lord, shall enter (Rev 22:14) into the kingdom of heaven, but he that DOETH the will of My Father, which is in heaven.

MANY will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity." (lawlessness) Mt 7:21-23.

"And hereby we do know that we know Him, IF we keep His commandments. He that saith, I KNOW HIM, and keepeth not His commandments is a LIAR and the Truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth HIS WORD, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby we do know that we are in Him." 1 John 2:3-5.

True faith obeys His every Word - His law. It is not what we SAY, but, what we DO.

"Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.

Originally posted by herald View Post
    In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangeably with, "law," "commandments," "judgments," "precepts," "statutes,"testimonies"...

His Word = His law.

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you, and CAUSE YOU to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments and do them." Ezek 36:26,27.

We have abused grace:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Ga 2:20.

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" Rom 6:1.

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." Rom 3:31.

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.

When Moses disobeyed the Lord and struck the rock, God charged him with unbelief. Num 20:12. When the children of Israel disobeyed the Lord, they were not able to enter The Promised Land, because of unbelief. Heb 3:19. Unbelief comes out of an evil heart. Heb 3:12.

Disobedience = Unbelief
    Obedience = Faith

Rom 16:26 refers to "the obedience of faith."

"By faith Abraham...obeyed." Heb 11:8.

Jesus said, "Not every one that SAITH, Lord, Lord, shall enter (Rev 22:14) into the kingdom of heaven, but he that DOETH the will of My Father, which is in heaven.

MANY will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity." (lawlessness) Mt 7:21-23.

"And hereby we do know that we know Him, IF we keep His commandments. He that saith, I KNOW HIM, and keepeth not His commandments is a LIAR and the Truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth HIS WORD, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby we do know that we are in Him." 1 John 2:3-5.

True faith obeys His every Word - His law. It is not what we SAY, but, what we DO.

"Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.
    So in the following Jesus was talking about that which was written/Gods word?

Lk 18:31 Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.

Lk 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

Lk 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Lk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

Thanks firstfruits

Comment

We, certainly, cannot trust in the emotions of our own hearts to determine is we love God and others:

"Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths. For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.

Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death." Prov 7:25-27.

What does the Scripture say about loving God, and others?

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15.

Jesus said, "He that hath My commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him." John 14:21.

"By this we know that we love the children of God (Greatest Commandment #2), when we love God (#1) and keep His commandments.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments: and His commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:2,3.

"And this is love that we walk after His commandments." 2 John 6.

When we love Him, we want to obey Him.

"And being made perfect, He became the author of eternal salvation, unto all them that obey Him." Heb 5:9.

"As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions ("of the law") from us...TO SUCH AS KEEP HIS COVENANT AND TO THOSE THAT REMEMBER HIS COMMANDMENTS TO DO THEM." Ps. 103.

Covenants have conditions.

"Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.

Comment

We, certainly, cannot trust in the emotions of our own hearts to determine is we love God and others:

"Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths. For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.

Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death." Prov 7:25-27.

What does the Scripture say about loving God, and others?

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15.

Jesus said, "He that hath My commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him." John 14:21.

"By this we know that we love the children of God (Greatest Commandment #2), when we love God (#1) and keep His commandments.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments: and His commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:2,3.

"And this is love that we walk after His commandments." 2 John 6.

When we love Him, we want to obey Him.

"And being made perfect, He became the author of eternal salvation, unto all them that obey Him." Heb 5:9.

"As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions ("of the law") from us...TO SUCH AS KEEP HIS COVENANT AND TO THOSE THAT REMEMBER HIS COMMANDMENTS TO DO THEM." Ps. 103.

Covenants have conditions.

"Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.
        So if we refrain from that which God hates, are we abiding in his will?

Prov 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
        17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
        18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
        19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Mt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Firstfruits

Comment

If we love Him, we will obey Him.

You just quoted two of the commandments: "A lying tongue" (#9) witness), "hands that shed innocent blood" - (#6).

The Old Covenant was the Ten Commandment Law. It was based upon the promise of the people. Ex 24:7. The New Covenant is based upon the promise of God:

"But this shall be the Covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; after those days, saith the Lord, I will put My laws in their inward parts, and write in their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people." Jer 31:34;Mt 26:28;Heb 8:10 - an internal Covenant.

WHO is He speaking of? Paul answers, "Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made, He saith not, And to thy seeds as of many: but as of one, And to thy seed which is Christ." "And IF ye be Christ's, then are YE Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Ga 3:16,29;26:5.

"Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham." Ga 3:7.

"For he is not a Jew, who is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, , and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God." Rom 2:28,29.

The promises were made through Abraham to the children of promise (Rom 9:6-8), who are justified by faith - whether Jew or Gentile. Eph 2:12,13;3:6. (Did you know, that there are 180 congregations of Messianic Jews in Israel?)

The Old Covenant was The Ten Commandment Covenant - the New Covenant is God engraving this Covenant in our hearts and minds.

Jesus took the commandments to the motive of the heart:

That is why Jesus said, if a man looks upon a woman to lust, he has, already, committed adultery with her in his heart. Or, if we are angry with our brother, without cause, we are in danger of the judgment. Mt 5:22,28.

Comment

If we love Him, we will obey Him.

You just quoted two of the commandments: "A lying tongue" (#9) witness), "hands that shed innocent blood" - (#6).

The Old Covenant was the Ten Commandment Law. It was based upon the promise of the people. Ex 24:7. The New Covenant is based upon the promise of God:

"But this shall be the Covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; after those days, saith the Lord, I will put My laws in their inward parts, and write in their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people." Jer 31:34;Mt 26:28;Heb 8:10 - an internal Covenant.

WHO is He speaking of? Paul answers, "Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made, He saith not, And to thy seeds as of many: but as of one, And to thy seed which is Christ." "And IF ye be Christ's, then are YE Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Ga 3:16,29;26:5.

"Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham." Ga 3:7.

"For he is not a Jew, who is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, , and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God." Rom 2:28,29.

The promises were made through Abraham to the children of promise (Rom 9:6-8), who are justified by faith - whether Jew or Gentile. Eph 2:12,13;3:6. (Did you know, that there are 180 congregations of Messianic Jews in Israel?)

The Old Covenant was The Ten Commandment Covenant - the New Covenant is God engraving this Covenant in our hearts and minds.

Jesus took the commandments to the motive of the heart:

That is why Jesus said, if a man looks upon a woman to lust, he has, already, committed adultery with her in his heart. Or, if we are angry with our brother, without cause, we are in danger of the judgment. Mt 5:22,28.
            The question is if we refrain from that which the Lord hates are we abiding in his will?

Prov 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
            18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
            19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Mt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Firstfruits

Comment

We can't refrain from these sins in our own strength - it is by abiding in His Spirit, that we do not sin.

The new creation does not sin:

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

And ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin.

Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, neither known (Mt 7:21-23) Him.

Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.

He that committeth sin is of the Devil; for the Devil sinneth from the beginning.

For this purpose was the Son of God manifested, that He might destroy the works of the Devil.

Jesus died on the cross, to set us free from sin.

Whosoever is born of God, doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God..

In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the Devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." 1 John 3.

It is when we fall back to the ways of the "old man" that we sin. When we walk in His Spirit, we do not sin.

The Apostle Paul told Timothy, ""I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience..." 2 Tim 1:3.

I serve Him with "pure conscience," and trust the Holy Spirit to reveal anything to me, if I am not, so that I can repent and be changed into His image.

Comment

His Word = His law.
                His Word = Jesus Christ who WROTE the Law and as Author put an end to it.

We have abused grace:
                I don't know one Christian on earth who knows how to abuse God's grace even though none want to try- that's a good sign. I don't think any true Christian knows how or wants too.
                Nothing more. Nothing less.
                My faith in Christ is righteousness!
                Jesus came to save us, His Spirit to change us.
                Christ covers OUR imperfection with HIS perfection!!!

Comment

In the Spirit!!

So if we abide in the Spirit we will refrain from that which God hates, would we then be abiding in Gods will?

Firstfruits

Comment

Amen!

His Will is His Word - when we abide in His Word, we do not sin.

Actually, the Holy Spirit is called, the Spirit of Grace in Heb 10:29. When He abides within us, He fulfills the law through us. Jesus did not put an end to the Ten Commandment Covenant.

The Ceremonial Law pointed to the sacrifice of Jesus and was fulfilled: circumcision is now of the heart, washings are baptism, Jesus, the clean, became unclean, so that we may be clean. If the Ceremonial law had not been fulfilled, we would, still, sacrifice animals. The Passover Feast Days were fulfilled:

Passover: Our Passover Lamb
                    Unleavened Bread: He was without sin
                    Tabernacles: He "tabernacled among us"...

CEREMONIAL LAW:

1. Is called, "the law contained in ordinances." Eph 2:15
                    2. Was spoken by Moses. Lev 1:1-3
                    3. Was written by Moses in a book. 11 Chron 35:12
                    4. Was placed in the side of The Ark. (to show it's temporal nature)
                    5. Was nailed to the cross. Col 2:14
                    6. Was abolished by Christ. Eph 2:15.

THE TEN COMMANDMENT COVENANT:

1. Is called, the "royal law." Ja 2:8
                    2. Was spoken by God. Deut 4:12,13
                    3. Was written with the finger of God. Ex 31:18'
                    4. Was placed inside The Ark. Ex 40:20;Heb 9:4
                    5. Is to "stand forever and ever." Ps 111:7,8
                    6. Was not destroyed by Christ. Mt 5:17,18

The Ten Commandment Covenant deals with our character and is used by the Holy Spirit in our on-going process of sanctification.

Even in heaven, the Lord makes quite a statement about His Covenant:

"And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple The Ark of His Testament: and there were LIGHTNINGS, and VOICES, and THUNDERINGS, and AN EARTHQUAKE, and GREAT HAIL." Rev 11:19.

Comment

Originally posted by joztok View Post
                      His Word = Jesus Christ who WROTE the Law and as Author put an end to it.
                      Scripture please.

I
                      Originally posted by joztok View Post
                      don't know one Christian on earth who knows how to abuse God's grace even though none want to try- that's a good sign. I don't think any true Christian knows how or wants too.
                      I'll remember that the next time my Christian legislator signs another bill to terminate one of God's creations.
                      Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
                        So if we abide in the Spirit we will refrain from that which God hates, would we then be abiding in Gods will?

Firstfruits
                        How many people refrain from doing what God hates?

Eze 20:16 because they rejected My ordinances, and as for My statutes, they did not walk in them; they even profaned My sabbaths, for their heart continually went after their idols.

How many Christians use the blood of Yeshua as an excuse to do or not do what God hates?
                        Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Dr. R.C. Sproul was the one, who spoke about Psalm 119, referring to the "Word," as "The law,""commandments," "judgments," "precepts," "statutes," "testimonies.

"And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep HIS COMMANDMENTS. He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments is a liar, and the Truth is not in him. BUT WHOSO KEEPETH HIS WORD, in him verily is the love of God perfected..." 1 John 2:3-5.

Here, again, the commandments are interchanged with His Word.

What did Jesus use in the wilderness to fight the Devil - The Scripture. Mt 4:4,7,10.

"And take the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God." Eph 6:17.

"For the Word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Heb 4:12.

2 Tim 3:16 in the Greek says, "Every Scripture is God breathed..."

Our Creator spoke the worlds into existence. Heb 11:3.

The first challenge to the Word of God, was in the Garden of Eden: Satan queried, "Hath God said?"

We are born again by His Word: "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth forever." 1 Pet 1:23;Ja 1:18;John 15:3;Eph 5:25,26.

Obeying His Word keeps us from sin: "Thy Word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." Ps 119:11.

His Word Guides us: "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Ps 119:105;67;103.

His Word is bread to our spirit: Jesus said, "It is written, man shall not live by bread alone, bu by every Word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Mt 4:4.

Faith comes by His Word: "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God." Rom 10:17.

The Roman Centurion...said...but, speak the Word, only, and my servant shall be healed." Mt 8:8.

Healing and Deliverance come by His Word: "He sent His Word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions." Ps 107:20.

Those who obey God's Word are more blessed than Mary: "...a certain woman...said unto Him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee and the paps which thou hast sucked." But He (Jesus) said, Yea, rather blessed are they that hear the Word of God and keep it." Lu 11:27,28.

We are to tremble at His Word: "...but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at My Word." Isa 66:2.

We are to search the Scriptures to verify what we are taught: "The Bereans were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received The Word with all readiness of mind, searching the Scriptures daily, whether those things wer so." Acts 17:11.

The Disciples spoke the Word of God: "...ye received the Word of God, which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the Word of God..." 1 Thess 2:13.

Men are martyred for the Word of God: "And when He had opened the fifth sea. I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the Word of God..." Rev 6:9.

But, most significant is, that, Jesus is the Word of God: John 1:1.Rev 19:13:

"And He was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and His name is called THE WORD OF GOD." Rev 19:13.

Comment

His commandments give us a glimse of His character. That's why He is the 'Living Word."

Comment

Amen!

HE IS THE WORD OF GOD. John 1:1; Rev 19:13. God's entire message to His people.

Comment

Working...
                              X