Religulous-moved from ETC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religulous-moved from ETC

The next major attack on religion is here.

This Documentary, Religulous, sets out to disprove and make fun of religion, ALL RELIGIONS!

Now visiting the link, watching the Trailer, reading the Synopsis and the Filmmaker Bios - I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Laughing at the world
    Watching it bend
    Enjoying the show
    Just waiting for the end

Not worried a bit
    as I walk through the mist
    By God I will sit
    And watch the world twist

In Him I will trust
    And only Him I will fear
    When the world turns to dust
    I know He'll be near

Stupid website, resizing my browser window...

That said: Can you please explain how this is end-times related?
    To This Day

Comment

Pure trash along the lines of a Michael Moore movie. Not even worth renting.

These people are so hateful they find humor in ridiculing the faith that means so much to us. I couldn't imagine taking all the time and resources to make such a movie to express this level of hatred.

These men are so lost and need our prayers.

Comment

Maher is doing this BECAUSE it is offensive, hence it is free publicity.

Additionally, he IS exposing some of the GENUINE logical holes in most religions.

Personally, I think the whole idea's hilarious.

Then again, I enjoyed Borat for the sole reason that no matter how offensive he was, he always found someone in America who agreed with him.
        Last edited by karenoka27; Oct 2nd 2008, 11:55 AM. Reason: unnecessary comment
        Always give God credit first.

"Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
        -Sir Toby, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzword View Post

Additionally, he IS exposing some of the GENUINE logical holes in most religions.

Then again, I enjoyed Borat for the sole reason that no matter how offensive he was, he always found someone in America who agreed with him.

"Additionally, he IS exposing some of the GENUINE logical holes in most religions."

Does that include christianity???
          Last edited by karenoka27; Oct 2nd 2008, 11:58 AM. Reason: editing unnecessary comment from quote

Comment

Originally posted by bennie View Post
            "Additionally, he IS exposing some of the GENUINE logical holes in most religions."

Does that include christianity???
            Dunno. Haven't seen the film.

But from an outsider's point of view, there are potentially hundreds of logical fallacies in what Christians claim to believe.

Example: Christians often put "God is love" on t-shirts, and the New Testament says that God is willing that none should perish.

Compare to the God of the OT who ordered the deaths of men, women, children, and infants in the cities the Israelites conquered in Canaan.
            Yet we say that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

This could potentially be interpreted as contradictory.

"Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"

Comment

First off, you need to clean up your comments. This is a Christian forum, not the bar.

Second as a Christian, you really think it's acceptable to ridicule the life of Jesus and what He did at Calvary? You think God should be reduced to some circus clown all in the name of comedy?

So what is sacred in your world? Can I make a movie laughing at and criticizing your family in the name of comedy and to fill my pockets with money?

You think perpetuating lies and mis-quotes of scripture is a good thing?

It's sad you find an atheist tearing up Jesus Christ comedy.
              Last edited by MrAnteater; Oct 2nd 2008, 04:48 PM. Reason: edit to remove offensive comments

Comment

Originally posted by MrAnteater View Post
                First off, you need to clean up your comments. This is a Christian forum, not the bar.

Second as a Christian, you really think it's acceptable to ridicule the life of Jesus and what He did at Calvary? You think God should be reduced to some circus clown all in the name of comedy?

So what is sacred in your world? Can I make a movie laughing at and criticizing your family in the name of comedy and to fill my pockets with money?

You think perpetuating lies and mis-quotes of scripture is a good thing?

It's sad you find an atheist tearing up Jesus Christ comedy.
                You seriously just proved my whole point about the panties thing.

LIGHTEN UP!

There's a REASON the church carries this stereotype of uppity, starched-collar nitpickers who don't know how to have fun!

Comment

You seriously just proved my whole point about the panties thing.

LIGHTEN UP!

There's a REASON the church carries this stereotype of uppity, starched-collar nitpickers who don't know how to have fun!
                  I have plenty of fun but there is absolutely nothing funny or comical about disrespecting God by a hateful atheist.

Many here love God and He has saved many lives including my own. I love God more than anything and this type of "comedy" is very offensive. So no, I won't lighten up on that fact and some things are off limits.

Comment

Someone trying to tear down the teachings of Christ as offensively as he can is hardly "fun" in my book.

It's not nitpicking. It all goes back to the age-old cliche of "What would Jesus do?" I doubt even you can honestly answer that Christ would think it's funny to be ridiculed and mocked just for the sake of having "fun". If He wouldn't, you shouldn't.

There is a monstrous difference between (a) recognizing this movie as slanderous towards the name of God and (b) not having fun. As a Christian, you should immediately take offense (even if you being offended was the intent of the offender) to someone slandering Christ, and if you don't, you need to set your priorities straight: to be honest, this is a reflection of poor spiritual health if you find it "hilarious" for Christ to be mocked in any manner, let alone one that is intended to be "offensive".
                    To This Day

Comment

Well it is certainly CONTROVERSIAL even in here.

I'll answer the question, how is this End Times related.

Reading and watching things, some things just hit me. This hit me.

I was just watching a little TV and the trailer came on. It screamed at me, a lot like "The Faith Club" did when I first saw it mentioned on CNN.

Stuff like this says to me that a time where Christians are persecuted for their ridiculous beliefs is not to far off.

Less than a century ago, people were outraged about evolution being taught in public schools. Today a movie like this can be made, and even Christians find it comical.

Pure Christianity is nearly a thing of the past it seems, is it hard to believe that in the not to distant future, us "uppity, starched-collar nitpickers" will be persecuted for our beliefs.

I see this as another step towards End Times world views. Don't you?
                      Laughing at the world
                      Watching it bend
                      Enjoying the show
                      Just waiting for the end

Not worried a bit
                      as I walk through the mist
                      By God I will sit
                      And watch the world twist

In Him I will trust
                      And only Him I will fear
                      When the world turns to dust
                      I know He'll be near

Comment

I noticed something in the Religulous trailer: the film location of one of the scenes. It was at "Holy Land Experience" in Orlando. That is like a Christian amusement park--paid admission--and the actors (e.g. "Jesus", Mary, Peter, Roman soldiers, etc.) are committed full-time to the ministry. And Bill Maher & crew were right there in the center of the park, interviewing Jesus. So the Christian staff there had to have let Bill and his team in to do this. It's like they let him in to share the Gospel with Bill--and if he ridicules them for it, then he ridicules them for it.

Now I am no fan of Bill Maher, and I wish TV wouldn't give him the time of day. But knowing that film setting gives me the impression that Religulous _might_ have more of a love-hate relationship with Christianity, more than hate-hate.

Comment

Two words:

Bill Mahar.

Anyone who has heard this atheist talk will know exactly what I am talking about. Of course an atheist will poke fun at religion, because he believes that all religions are just tools. I am not even the least bit concerned about this movie, because I consider the sourse first, laugh, and move on. (Not to say that Bill Mahar is a total baffoon, but as far as religion is concerned, he is truly the definition of a moron, who knows absolutely nothing except what his hippie teacher taught him in the 70's).

Comment

Originally posted by White Spider View Post
                            Pure Christianity is nearly a thing of the past it seems
                            What you're calling "pure Christianity" has only ever existed in the minority. "Pure Christianity" has always been a remnant, and almost never the bulk. Even in the earliest days of Christianity, the church was constantly backsliding. Many times that the apostles returned to a place that they had taught the gospel it was in need of some serious correction. You're right that a century ago people would have seen this as deplorable, but even then, those same people weren't a part of a "pure Christianity".

This is a movie, plain and simple. It's not the start of some giant "kill the Christians" revolution.
                            To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
                              Someone trying to tear down the teachings of Christ as offensively as he can is hardly "fun" in my book.

It's not nitpicking. It all goes back to the age-old cliche of "What would Jesus do?" I doubt even you can honestly answer that Christ would think it's funny to be ridiculed and mocked just for the sake of having "fun". If He wouldn't, you shouldn't.

There is a monstrous difference between (a) recognizing this movie as slanderous towards the name of God and (b) not having fun. As a Christian, you should immediately take offense (even if you being offended was the intent of the offender) to someone slandering Christ, and if you don't, you need to set your priorities straight: to be honest, this is a reflection of poor spiritual health if you find it "hilarious" for Christ to be mocked in any manner, let alone one that is intended to be "offensive".
                              1) This movie isn't just some Michael Moore-ish rant that just shows footage, fat guy, footage again.
                              Maher is actually talking to "religious people" and asking some of the questions that people raised outside the church tend to ask.
                              Just in the trailer, I recognized several questions my seeking-atheist friends have asked me.

2) Bringing up a meaningless old cliche that is totally based on individual interpretation of Christ's words and actions proves nothing in this discussion.
                              The truth that no one wearing a WWJD bracelet wants to address is that ASKING that question presumes that Jesus is DEAD, that we have to think about what He WOULD do because He isn't currently present to tell us what He WANTS us to do.

3) Who are you to tell others what they "should" be offended by?
                              Strictly speaking in terms of a comedy, if Religulous makes people laugh, it has succeeded as a film.
                              Your presumptiveness knows no bounds, if you are judging my spiritual health by what I find funny.

Isnt it THE CHURCH who are always taking a stand against "political correctness"?
                              Guess it only applies when it's stuff WE'RE saying, and everyone else can burn in hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X