Are protestants real christians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are protestants real christians?

Afterall, they do not practice everything that Jesus taught. Plus, there are over 30,000 protestant denominations. When Jesus spoke to Peter and said that his faith would be the foundations of his church, he didn't wait for 1900 years later to establish it ya know. It was established right then and there, after all, he is the word, and what he speaks comes to pass.

so what do you think?

Hi Seekhisface,

That's a good question! Maybe something Jesus said will help:

Matt 7:21-23
    "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'
    NKJV

It doesn't matter what one calls oneself. It doesn't even matter what one calls Jesus. A Christian is a follower of Christ (Christ did the will of the Father and we follow Him by doing that as well).

This thread has been moved to Bible Chat. Christians Answer is the forum for non-Christians to ask questions about our faith.
    Love In Christ,
    Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by TanyaP View Post

It doesn't even matter what one calls Jesus.
      If you say so Julie.....
      Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

What I mean is that if a person calls Jesus LORD it will not help them. They can even do it twice: LORD LORD! And that still won't make them a Christian.
        Love In Christ,
        Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by seekhisface View Post
          Afterall, they do not practice everything that Jesus taught. Plus, there are over 30,000 protestant denominations. When Jesus spoke to Peter and said that his faith would be the foundations of his church, he didn't wait for 1900 years later to establish it ya know. It was established right then and there, after all, he is the word, and what he speaks comes to pass.

so what do you think?
          This is a excellent question and TanyaP pretty much hit the nail on the head with Matt 7:21-23

There are so many churches that claim to preach and teach Jesus, however their worship and teachings prove otherwise.

Rather than serving Christ they have made it a social activity to eat and be with friends, play sports and watch football games.

In all honesty in my community I have seen one church not have services on SuperBowl Sunday and have a SuperBowl party instead of worship services.

Then another church I saw on their changeable sign state "come join the social club of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Its amazing how far off base some of these churches are... we can read and study the Bible and it states X is sinful and wrong and then we see a church that states that X is ok.

There will be many on that day that will have thought they wore the name of Christ and did his will and will be turned away because of it, because they served their own bellies.
          Isaiah 6:8 "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" We should always be willing to do God's bidding, seek ye first the kingdom of God.

I use Linux because I don't like Windows

Comment

Originally posted by TanyaP View Post
            What I mean is that if a person calls Jesus LORD it will not help them. They can even do it twice: LORD LORD! And that still won't make them a Christian.
            Amen to that.

Mat 7:22 On that Day, many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord! Didn't we prophesy in your name? Didn't we expel demons in your name? Didn't we perform many miracles in your name?'
            Mat 7:23 Then I will tell them to their faces, 'I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!'
            Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

The Protestant Reformation started in Europe in 1517. (not a hundred years ago)

Martin Luther had no desire to leave the church.
              He wanted to change the errors in doctrine which went against Scripture.

Richard

Comment

SeekHisFace,
                Do you have any specifics in mind when you say that protestants don't practice everything that Jesus taught?

What practices are being left out?
                Without disagreement, nothing can be learned.

Comment

so what do you think?
                  chal>
                  I think that you should offer proof of; "they do not practice everything that Jesus taught," by first expounding on your personal opinion of what Jesus taught as opposed to what "they," taught and perhaps narrow down who "they," are. Do you mean every single protestant that has ever existed since the reformation?"

I think that you should post the scripture that states "When Jesus spoke to Peter and said that his faith would be the foundations of his church," and explain why it should be interpreted the way you have presented it.

I think "he didn't wait for 1900 years later to establish it ya know," sounds a bit condescending.

I think there is a possibility that you are trying to promote Roman Catholic doctrine.
                  ShalomUit
                  Chal
                  <*,})+<

Ecclesia Reformata, Semper Reformanda: The church reformed and always to be reformed

Truth may be stranger than fiction, but fiction is surely stranger than truth "may be." Maybe? -chal's Third (and final!) Big Book of Little Known Thingies that Could (in fact) Become Facts (or faxed) One Day.

Comment

Originally posted by kf4zmt View Post
                    SeekHisFace,
                    Do you have any specifics in mind when you say that protestants don't practice everything that Jesus taught?

Shabbat sticks out like a sore thumb.

Before anyone says Yeshua didn't verbalize the command, rememeber that one of God's ways of teaching is by example.

Comment

I don't think which church your attending will have anything to do with whether or not your a real Christian, I think it has to do more with your heart, and what you actually believe, I have bounced around several churches, I am currently rotating between three, and I see no major difference between the different denominations, they all use the same Bible, and they all preach very similar messages. Some denominations may be different, but they are all very similar in there message, the biggest difference is the format in worship. That is my view on this subject anyways.

Comment

Did Christ teach that we would be one in every single matter, or was it just on the fact that He is the Son of God, crucified for our sins?

If it is the former, than even the Catholic Church is in trouble as the modern Catholic Church does not match up with the older Catholic Church or even 3rd century Catholic Church.

If it is the latter, then we have some leeway. The truth would remain regardless of denominational name, but would manifest itself in different ways throughout time, while the essence would remain intact and unchanged.

Help make sense?

Comment

Ethiopia: The Truth Presents itself?

The Day is near when the World Powers and the International Community would say: In
                          the name of Ethiopianness or Ethiopiawinnet, let us today embrace Ethiopia as the true
                          Garden of Eden, location of the Tree of Life, where original sin occurred, and where we
                          must go to seek redemption for our sins and those of our ancestors. Let us unite all nations
                          of the Earth and defeat the demonic forces plaguing the Garden and guarantee our names
                          in the Book of Life by fighting against the criminality and corruption in Ethiopia and
                          restore the reign of the Kingdom of God to these humble people.

ENGLISH

Creed of the Ethiopians in English
                          http://ethkogserv.org/faith/Creed%20...%20English.pdf
                          The Testimonial of the Ethiopians on the Holy Covenant in English
                          http://ethkogserv.org/faith/The%20Te...%20English.pdf
                          Prayer of Ethiopians in Glorification of The Lord in English
                          http://ethkogserv.org/faith/Prayer%2...%20English.pdf
                          Prayer of Ethiopians in Exaltation of The Holy Mother in English
                          http://ethkogserv.org/faith/Prayer%2...%20English.pdf

Comment

so what do you think?
                            humm, is that like are Methodists, Catholics, Lutherans etc real Christians?
                            A real Christian is one who accepts salvation because of God's grace through faith in Christ Jesus, not by practice, but by fruit. Love, Joy, Peace etc etc.
                            I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

Originally posted by kf4zmt View Post
                              SeekHisFace,

I'll second that. What exactly are your accusations?

Comment

Working...
                              X