X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religulous (Bill Maher)

Can be VERY offensive.

He asked in the trailer of the movie something like this

Bill: Why doesn't God just obliderate the devil?

Guy: He will.

Bill: Well what's he waiting for?

Links at bottom.

Clips:

He doesn't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHH2JItePlc

Devil be gone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvRGLjlCO9A

Link:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815241/

Mocking God is not funny by any stretch of the imagination.

I pray that this movie flops big time and dies a quick death.

Comment

I will not watch this movie, but I will be praying that Bill finds the Lord.

Jeanne
      Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears, for your work shall be rewarded declares the Lord, and they (your children) will come back from the land of the enemy. Jeremiah 31:16-17
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so that you can discover He is the rock at the bottom

All the forces of darkness cannot stop what God has ordained. Isaiah 14:27

Comment

bill maher is headed for a rude awakening and to be quite honest I have no sympathy for him. He is one of those individuals that cannot simply not believe in God but instead must raise his fist and rail against God. I find such people in need of an education - the one they get when they die.

Like it or not - that's my position on people like him. Of course my position sounds much like Christ's position on the pharisees.

Comment

I agree with you. I saw him on Letterman talking about his trash movie and making fun of christian and Jewish teachings and I tuned him out...he is a vile man and God will deal with him I have zero pity for him. Its good I am not God

Originally posted by EarlyCall View Post
          bill maher is headed for a rude awakening and to be quite honest I have no sympathy for him. He is one of those individuals that cannot simply not believe in God but instead must raise his fist and rail against God. I find such people in need of an education - the one they get when they die.

Like it or not - that's my position on people like him. Of course my position sounds much like Christ's position on the pharisees.

Comment

oh my, if only he could see himself from our eyes.

just brutal. i'm at a loss for words, i really am...

Comment

I don't know why but I want to see it...is that bad? I mean, I can't stand the guy but I watch his HBO show every week. I usually watch MSNBC's pre/post convention or debate coverage too. Maybe I'm just fascinated with people who are so sure they are right when they are so completely dead wrong.
              As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

Okay, here's something I'll offer up:

I'm probably going to go see the movie this weekend. I KNOW people are offended, I KNOW it's not going to be edifying or helpful in any way, and I know the humour's going to be off-colour and that there's going to be stuff in there I'm not going to really WANT to hear or see. But at the same time.... I'm curious enough so I can see it, see what he has to say, and firmly critique it/the ideas that come up in the film.

This film is going to be watched PREDOMINANTLY by people who don't hold religious beliefs -- in some areas of the Bible belt, the film's not even being shown because of the protest. So all the more reason, I think, for the odd Christian who wants to, to go... take mental notes... dissect the ideas in it, have good solid reaons for rejecting those ideas...

And that's what I and a few other Christians, my boyfriend included, want to do this weekend. He's especially curious; since he's come to faith, he wants to see how he approaches something as a Christian differently than he would have 6 months ago or less, as an atheist. And good for him -- if he wants to judge the changes in his own attitude for himself, awesome. As for myself, I'll be bringing a notepad and a few pens. I consider a film like this something to pay attention to for the sole purposes of having fun taking it apart.

Assuming we actually go.... review to follow, after this weekend sometime.

My prediction before going: there will be immature, whiny jabs at various faiths, nobody will LEARN much of anything, and I'll probably come to the conclusion that Bill Maher's team ended up being sarcastic, petty and snarky through the whole thing. But I'd be interested to see if I'm wrong on ANY level!
                -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
                It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
                So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
                We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
                Warren Barfield

Comment

CC by going though you will help make this thing happen over and over....again .....I would not help his wallet ...surely Christians should know how to overcome trashy talk without going..I saw him on Letterman and he was just vile....I would not want to help the devil ...I hope God changes his heart but from all I saw on Letterman ....this movie is pure trash...and no I am not putting your decision down.

Comment

Buy a ticket to a different movie...The theatre doesn't care which movie you see. That's what I did for Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911 to avoid giving that lying sack of rats any of my money.
                    As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
                      Buy a ticket to a different movie...The theatre doesn't care which movie you see. That's what I did for Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911 to avoid giving that lying sack of rats any of my money.

hahahha I kinda like that GP

Comment

it'll just be another jesus camp and edited to make religous people look crazy. or course it'll be all the actualy crazy extremest ones on the movie too...

CC, i also predict lack of actually solid-based arguments agains't God.

Comment

Well, for what it's worth, we won't be paying for it. There's a free late-night showing for students.

From what I've already read (which was thoroughly expected!).... he uses humour in an over the top way, he's very good at mocking certain groups (in all religions).... but one reviewer called it 'propaganda' where he's literally just wanting to pull people over to HIS team.... which is unfortunate for him, because apparently quite a few are saying they didn't learn ANYTHING in watching it, it was all thoroughly predictable, and.... well, that's just bad. Not learning anything from a Documentary? Sheesh. A few Christians who have reviewed it so far said basically the same thing - predictable, they certainly didn't lose their faith, and they laughed at the parts he MEANT to be serious... like when he says "religion must die for mankind to live". Come ON. *rolls eyes*

Anyways.... having went into it this way, now I'll be interested to see what my review'll be like. I'm pretty sure I already know. I mean, the guy got help from Larry Charles, who directed Borat. Can anyone say "find a stereotyped caricature that really doesn't exist widely in anyone, and then ascribe it to EVERYONE"? Here's betting this movie will.
                          -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
                          It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
                          So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
                          We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
                          Warren Barfield

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley274 View Post
                            I agree with you. I saw him on Letterman talking about his trash movie and making fun of christian and Jewish teachings and I tuned him out...he is a vile man and God will deal with him I have zero pity for him. Its good I am not God
                            Oh come on Ash - we all know you want to be God

Comment

Reviews...

I read a few reviews - no surprise the world likes this movie.

Matt 10:22
                              Matt 24:9
                              Mark 13:13
                              Luke 19:14
                              Luke 21:17
                              John 15:18
                              John 15:24
                              John 15:25

I'm going to see Flash of Genius - little guy takes his cause to the end. Something "familiar" - something I have not sensed since...

Comment

Working...
                              X