Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bible Is Written In Such A Way That Anyone Can See Whatever They Wish Within It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bible Is Written In Such A Way That Anyone Can See Whatever They Wish Within It

Does anyone agree with that statement?

It seems as though this is the case with the ever fragmenting body of Christ which exponentially spawns denominations like the branches on a tree (Matthew 13:32, Mark 4:32, Luke 13:19), and the endless, centuries-old debates over issues such OSAS/NOSAS, pre-trib/post-trib, etc; with all involved parties of course having plenty of scripture to back up their opposing views.

Perhaps the truth is that no one sees the truth. It could shed new light on what the Christ speaks in John chapter 9:

John 9
    4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

What does everyone think about this? Is what we call the "bible" a sealed up book whose true meanings have not yet been revealed to man? Has it been "night time" for the last 2,000 years?

Re: The Bible Is Written In Such A Way That Anyone Can See Whatever They Wish Within

No,

There is only one 'Truth' and He is Christ.

Christ tells us that;

John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

centuries-old debates over issues such OSAS/NOSAS, pre-trib/post-trib, etc; with all involved parties of course having plenty of scripture to back up their opposing views.

Each of these 'issues' you mention have adherents, but frankly there is a side to each that is wrong. That there is objective truth is absolute... opposing positions can not both be true....

Part of this struggle is (IMHO) the process the Lord uses to draw us to HImself.

The very struggle (when we are submitted) is the blessing for those who would seek the Lord.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

Re: The Bible Is Written In Such A Way That Anyone Can See Whatever They Wish Within

Our bibles today were translated in ways that you describe and shared but our Bible was definitely not given to us that way when presented to man by Father's chosen oracles.

A short study of the curse of babble might give some insight.
      Also seeking and using concordance or using an online FREE concordance might help avoid the language barriers encountered in our bibles by us who do not speak, read or write in archaic Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek.

Another practical way to avoid settling or establishing ones self in cultural and theological slants of our various versions and translations readily available today is to gather and use as many of the same said translations and versions as is possible when we study His words, we can also find all of these online and FREE also.

Father bless, and have mercy on all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by We Are View Post
        No. The condition of our heart colors the way we read and hear truth. In fact, it colors the way we read and hear just about everything. Insecurity and fear, for example, can completely change what someone "hears" related to simple conversation. It's why Jesus said repeatedly, "He that has an ear, let him hear..." We can't be arrogant about our ability to hear and understand scripture - the door of humility is the only way into the room.

It seems as though this is the case with the ever fragmenting body of Christ which exponentially spawns denominations like the branches on a tree (Matthew 13:32, Mark 4:32, Luke 13:19), and the endless, centuries-old debates over issues such OSAS/NOSAS, pre-trib/post-trib, etc; with all involved parties of course having plenty of scripture to back up their opposing views.
        These groups tend to agree on about 90% of the word of God and the foundations of evangelical theology, spending time discussing and debating the other 10%. That doesn't make the Bible a subjective work, or written to be understood subjectively.

Perhaps the truth is that no one sees the truth.
        That's a conclusion that's a bit more "postmodern" than "biblical", I think. John said otherwise in 1 John in referencing the Holy Spirit and His role, as Jesus described it, in leading us "into all truth".

It could shed new light on what the Christ speaks in John chapter 9:

John 9
        4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

What does everyone think about this? Is what we call the "bible" a sealed up book whose true meanings have not yet been revealed to man? Has it been "night time" for the last 2,000 years?
        The goal isn't to "shed new light" on a verse - Ecclesiastes tells us that "there is nothing new under the sun". The goal is to dialogue with the Holy Spirit to connect with the heart of Jesus on the matter. And in context, "night is coming when no one can work" is referencing unprecedented shaking and trouble, not "universal spiritual blindness related to the scriptures".
        The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Comment

Originally posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
          No,

There is only one 'Truth' and He is Christ.

Christ tells us that;

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
          This is very true. However, what does it mean that Jesus is "Truth".

Each of these 'issues' you mention have adherents, but frankly there is a side to each that is wrong. That there is objective truth is absolute... opposing positions can not both be true....
          The OP didn't say that there was not an objective Truth. He said that, perhaps we aren't meant to KNOW all of the objective Truth. There's a difference.

Part of this struggle is (IMHO) the process the Lord uses to draw us to HImself.
          I would agree in that the process of seeking Truth in a daily communion with Christ is how the Lord draws us into Himself.

The very struggle (when we are submitted) is the blessing for those who would seek the Lord.
          We must struggle in the Will of God, though. If we are seeking Scripture to discover "Truth" outside the Will of God, what are we gaining? Would you say that it is God's Will for each of us to perfectly understand Scripture? Or...would you say that it is God's Will for us to diligently seek Him in Spirit to discover His Will for our individual life?

Comment

Originally posted by RollTide21 View Post
            This is very true. However, what does it mean that Jesus is "Truth".
            It means that God solved the problem of the transcendent nature of "truth" (as it relates to man's limitations and then, later, man's sin and brokenness) by sending "Truth Personified". By sending "the Word made Flesh" the Truth "dwelt amongst us" and thus was "intimately knowable" as John stated in 1 John 1.

The OP didn't say that there was not an objective Truth. He said that, perhaps we aren't meant to KNOW all of the objective Truth. There's a difference.
            There is a difference. But the commonality is that both premises are wrong Man can know objective truth through Christ Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit. He is the "Spirit of Truth".
            The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Comment

Originally posted by the rookie View Post
              It means that God solved the problem of the transcendent nature of "truth" (as it relates to man's limitations and then, later, man's sin and brokenness) by sending "Truth Personified". By sending "the Word made Flesh" the Truth "dwelt amongst us" and thus was "intimately knowable" as John stated in 1 John 1.

There is a difference. But the commonality is that both premises are wrong Man can know objective truth through Christ Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit. He is the "Spirit of Truth".
              No...I get you, but, it was my assumption that this is not what the OP was referring to.

We can certainly know objective and ultimate Truth in Christ by the Spirit. The question is, is it the Will of God for Christ to show us ALL of the objective Truth in Scripture?

Basically, what I am saying is: Does God want us to do our best to serve Him in Spirit in our daily lives or does He want us to "figure out" the truth or untruth of...say...the Trinity?

Comment

This is very true. However, what does it mean that Jesus is "Truth"....
                Christ is Truth... we are not. He is THE Truth, there is no other... that was the point of that statement (you will notice the reference to objective Truth in the words that immediately follow.

The OP seems to postulate that because men choose men's teaching over scripture that there is no objective truth... I refute that by quoting Christ Himself saying He is THE TRUTH. (there is no other).

If we are seeking Scripture to discover "Truth" outside the Will of God, what are we gaining? Would you say that it is God's Will for each of us to perfectly understand Scripture? Or...would you say that it is God's Will for us to diligently seek Him in Spirit to discover His Will for our individual life?
                What is the difference? It seems you are saying there is a 'sanctioned' process within the Lord's will to seek His Truth, and some other way we might choose?

Psalm 25:5 Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
                For You are the God of my salvation;
                On You I wait all the day.

Christ is Truth, and the only Truth is what He would lead us to... what other means would there be?

Now, if you speak of those who would seek teachings of man in preference to the Truth, I agree that these are not fruitful... nor can they be Truth.

Christ has told us that a house divided against it's self can not stand. Theology based on contradiction in scripture is false on it's face....
                * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
                ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

Interesting replies and an interesting discussion!

MoreMercy - yes, I'm aware of the problems with translations and even some translational discrepencies which can throw huge monkey wrenches into some major theological Christian doctrines. That is a world of discussion in and of itself.

As far as the "Truth" goes, there is something I find interesting: In the scripture, the Christ refers to Himself as the true manna from heaven. What is interesting about manna is that it had to be consumed quickly with any remainder discarded, with new manna coming down on a daily basis. Even the miraculous manna could not just be eaten once and satisfy eternally.

So we have the Christ, who is the Truth, and who also is the manna. It would appear as though there are multiple, or even infinite, layers of Truth that are to be progressively revealed as time passes by.

For example, the phrase "the Son will make you free indeed" could have a countless number of meanings to a person on their journey. Perhaps when they first become a "Christian," it means to them that they are saved from "hell." Then later perhaps they would look at it in terms of physical healing. Then perhaps at some point they may use that truth as a reason to leave an unhealthy church environment; then perhaps to comfort them in a time of emotional pain, and so forth and so on.

So I would propose the idea that there is, in fact, no such thing as absolute, objective Truth, as it is ever evolving and can reveal Itself differently to different people.

And the fact is, even if one person is "right" and the other is "wrong," each are still convinced in their own mind that they are "right," as there is no way to "prove" who is "right" or "wrong."

It is my belief that every person, no matter what denomination, worships a "different Jesus." No two people see Him or think of Him exactly alike, and so every person worships a God of his or her own making. Or, as it is written in the book of Judges - "everyone does what is right in his own eyes."

Now, of course we know that when it speaks of this in Judges, it was in the days when "Israel had no king." How might this relate to what Yahshua speaks in the book of John about the "night" coming? And how might it relate to the parables in which the "Master goes away on a long journey before returning again?"

Comment

Perhaps the truth is that no one sees the truth. It could shed new light on what the Christ speaks in John chapter 9:

John 9
                    4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

I think like in revelation the book or parts therein are sealed unto the time. perhaps now is that time.

when i read scripture i am aware of things that were right in front of me yet i never saw before. i think we mature in christ. I also know there is a early and later rain, there is also a famine for gods word.

when i look around at this world and i know the vast majority of us are wrong.

1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
                    1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Comment

....So I would propose the idea that there is, in fact, no such thing as absolute, objective Truth, as it is ever evolving and can reveal Itself differently to different people....
                      You would not be the first, nor the last to propose this... you would be wrong. (objectively).

Christ is THE Truth. Mohammad can not also be a prophet of 'truth' because he acknowledges Christ as a prophet... but not as the Son.

Christ said;

There is no way to reconcile the two... Christ is Lord of all, or Lord of nothing... if He was a prophet then He was a false Prophet.

Now if you speak of 'dynamic' Truth, there is a point there. The Lord told me to teach one thing last week in the message, and will have me bring something else this week (but not contradicting)....but I don't read this as your point.

And the fact is, even if one person is "right" and the other is "wrong," each are still convinced in their own mind that they are "right," as there is no way to "prove" who is "right" or "wrong."
                      Do I have 3 or 4 marbles in my pocket?

Of course both could be wrong if I have no marbles... or 6. The thing is that there is an objective answer.

It is my belief that every person, no matter what denomination, worships a "different Jesus." No two people see Him or think of Him exactly alike, and so every person worships a God of his or her own making. Or, as it is written in the book of Judges - "everyone does what is right in his own eyes."....
                      Paul writes of this very 'disconnect' in refuting the idea. There are not 'different Jesus(s)' as you say, but rather One Christ... and a diversity of gifts (that do produce a variety of views, and functions).

Read what you posted... and then go read 1 Cor 12. It is only 31 verses long... but speaks directly against the thing you bring here.
                      (Please do not take it personally, I appreciate the topic... but you are wrong here).

There ARE a diversity of gifts, but there is unity.

Please forgive me for being so silly to suggest reading it, It is no trouble to post it...

Please take a look;

1 Corinthians 12

Spiritual Gifts: Unity in Diversity
                      1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
                      4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.
                      Unity and Diversity in One Body

12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.
                      15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? 18 But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. 19 And if they were all one member, where would the body be?
                      20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
                      27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

Comment

MoreMercy - yes, I'm aware of the problems with translations and even some translational discrepencies which can throw huge monkey wrenches into some major theological Christian doctrines. That is a world of discussion in and of itself.

As far as the "Truth" goes, there is something I find interesting: In the scripture, the Christ refers to Himself as the true manna from heaven. What is interesting about manna is that it had to be consumed quickly with any remainder discarded, with new manna coming down on a daily basis. Even the miraculous manna could not just be eaten once and satisfy eternally. So we have the Christ, who is the Truth, and who also is the manna. It would appear as though there are multiple, or even infinite, layers of Truth that are to be progressively revealed as time passes by.

For example, the phrase "the Son will make you free indeed" could have a countless number of meanings to a person on their journey. Perhaps when they first become a "Christian," it means to them that they are saved from "hell." Then later perhaps they would look at it in terms of physical healing. Then perhaps at some point they may use that truth as a reason to leave an unhealthy church environment; then perhaps to comfort them in a time of emotional pain, and so forth and so on.

So I would propose the idea that there is, in fact, no such thing as absolute, objective Truth, as it is ever evolving and can reveal Itself differently to different people.

It is my belief that every person, no matter what denomination, worships a "different Jesus." No two people see Him or think of Him exactly alike, and so every person worships a God of his or her own making. Or, as it is written in the book of Judges - "everyone does what is right in his own eyes."

Now, of course we know that when it speaks of this in Judges, it was in the days when "Israel had no king." How might this relate to what Yahshua speaks in the book of John about the "night" coming? And how might it relate to the parables in which the "Master goes away on a long journey before returning again?"
                        along the lines of what i underlined it makes me think of christs miracle of the bread, he took it broke it and it multiplied.

he also released the spirit. he told his disciples to do as he had done. its also interesting to Note that he gave the bread out then, but he also had some left in the basket. perhaps for those later.

the part i bolded made me think of this - we are all just part of a body we may only each view a certain facet. there is a all truth and it is God we just dont see him fully. yet.

Mar 9:38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
                        Mar 9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
                        Mar 9:40For he that is not against us is on our part.

Comment

No...I get you, but, it was my assumption that this is not what the OP was referring to.
                          I figured we were on the same page

We can certainly know objective and ultimate Truth in Christ by the Spirit. The question is, is it the Will of God for Christ to show us ALL of the objective Truth in Scripture?
                          John 16:13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

Basically, what I am saying is: Does God want us to do our best to serve Him in Spirit in our daily lives or does He want us to "figure out" the truth or untruth of...say...the Trinity?
                          I think that the measure to which we know God is determined by the degree to which we desire God. Hunger by grace leads to more grace. Then we start knocking, then doors are opened, we start seeking, etc. There seems to be some things hidden in this age that are reserved for another age as it relates to definitive answers (i.e. the debates referenced above, for example). Paul spoke of things hidden in the previous ages that are now revealed to us - but if God did that before, odds are good He is doing the same thing in our day

That doesn't mean "no objective truth"; just means that the "object" known as "all truth" is really, really big. It's objective, there is a plumb line, it is personified in Christ, and it is knowable. That's why truth related to morality and the boundaries of sin are really clear and fully revealed; the mysteries related to the knowledge of God, however, go on forever.
                          The Rookie

Comment

As far as the "Truth" goes, there is something I find interesting: In the scripture, the Christ refers to Himself as the true manna from heaven. What is interesting about manna is that it had to be consumed quickly with any remainder discarded, with new manna coming down on a daily basis. Even the miraculous manna could not just be eaten once and satisfy eternally.

So we have the Christ, who is the Truth, and who also is the manna. It would appear as though there are multiple, or even infinite, layers of Truth that are to be progressively revealed as time passes by.

Doctrine, and Christology itself, is not a multiple choice, subjective thing to be defined by the beholder. Otherwise, what Paul spoke of in Ephesians 4:1-16 - specifically , verse 13 (the "unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God") would be impossible. One truth, one Jesus, one Holy Spirit (and the five-fold ministry) given to help us come into agreement with humility as one body unified in Him and by Him before He returns.
                            The Rookie

Comment

If there is no objective absolute truth, how can you be certain that Christ has redeemed you?
                              Don't bother quoting me, I'll go back and correct my posts about a dozen times so I can fix all the dumb mistakes, typos, and parts that don't make sense, once I'm done then you can quote it.

Comment

Working...
                              X