Purpose of Parables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purpose of Parables

Is the purpose of parables to help people understand or prevent them from understanding ?

"'Keep on hearing, but do not understand;keep on seeing, but do not perceive.
    'Make the heart of this people dull,
    and their ears heavy,
    and blind their eyes;
    lest they see with their eyes,
    and hear with their ears,
    and understand with their hearts,
    and turn and be healed." Isaiah 6:8

are parables a sign of Judgment ?

Re: Purpose of Parables

Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
    Is the purpose of parables to help people understand or prevent them from understanding ?
    So God bases everything on what one believes and then intentionally muddies the waters?

Comment

Seems that it matters who the "people" in question are.

That Isaiah scripture is reemphasized in Matthew 13:10-17, when Jesus explains the purpose of the parables.
      Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
        So God bases everything on what one believes and then intentionally muddies the waters?
        Parables are for seekers of truth. If you seek with a meek and contrite spirit God reveals the truth. Those whose hubris stands in the way will not understand.

Comment

Originally posted by rejoice44 View Post
          Parables are for seekers of truth. If you seek with a meek and contrite spirit God reveals the truth. Those whose hubris stands in the way will not understand.
          So only those who believe exactly as you do are 'meek'. Gotya.

Comment

I dont understand what you mean ? is it a parable ?

Comment

So only those who believe exactly as you do are 'meek'. Gotya.
              Thinking that your own right hand can save you is not meekness. When you rely on the mercy of God and his righteousness you have obtained contriteness.

Comment

I dont understand what you mean ? is it a parable ?
                Why would God make the bible more difficult to understand? What's the point? To send even more of humanity to hell forever?

Comment

Originally posted by rejoice44 View Post
                  Thinking that your own right hand can save you is not meekness. When you rely on the mercy of God and his righteousness you have obtained contriteness.
                  I've got an even better idea. Why not try to do what God told us to do, and then rely on his mercy when you fall short.

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                    Seems that it matters who the "people" in question are.

That Isaiah scripture is reemphasized in Matthew 13:10-17, when Jesus explains the purpose of the parables.
                    Good point, Nathan spoke to David in a parable after the "incident" it seems to me anyway that they are used to either shock and awaken people or sedate them, as you say it depends on the person. I know i can rationalize away my sins with ease and it may take a shock to get me to see them for what they are.

Comment

Why would God make the bible more difficult to understand? What's the point? To send even more of humanity to hell forever?
                      I think we have a duty to respond to God and if we dont respond properly like Pharaoh then our hearts get hardened by God eventually ? what do you say.

Comment

Good point, Nathan spoke to David in a parable after the "incident" it seems to me anyway that they are used to either shock and awaken people or sedate them, as you say it depends on the person. I know i can rationalize away my sins with ease and it may take a shock to get me to see them for what they are.
                        I feel its more about what Jesus actually stated and that is to allow some to hear the message of a parable and some not to hear the message of a parable.

v11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.

In this single verse we can understand that the message is both revealed and hidden based on who the person is.

The Isaiah scripture is prophecy about parables and in using them, Jesus fulfilled that prophecy.

Nathan spoke as the Lord said... prophecy (for correction in this case), he didn't speak in a parable at all. The Lord's words were direct.
                        Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

I've got an even better idea. Why not try to do what God told us to do, and then rely on his mercy when you fall short.
                          Never said we are not to be obedient. The problem is we always fall short and cannot attain unto the righteousness that is required to be allowed into the Kingdom of Heaven. We can't afford to be judged on our own righteousness. David asked God for mercy and not judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                            I feel its more about what Jesus actually stated and that is to allow some to hear the message of a parable and some not to hear the message of a parable.

v11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.

In this single verse we can understand that the message is both revealed and hidden based on who the person is.

The Isaiah scripture is prophecy about parables and in using them, Jesus fulfilled that prophecy.
                            So did Jesus speak in parables to keep people from understanding ?

Comment

I think we have a duty to respond to God and if we dont respond properly like Pharaoh then our hearts get hardened by God eventually ? what do you say.
                              I would say that Pharaoh was an exceptional case. He enslaved millions of people and when God performed miracles that even his sorcerers said "were the hand of God", he still did not relent of his wicked ways. To compare him to a run of the mill person just struggling to get through daily life is just plain heartless.

So no, I don't see why God would intentionally make it even more difficult to do the right thing or believe the right thing. Not enough people already going to hell? Must make the road even narrower? And God is a God of love?

Comment

Working...
                              X