Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prayer and Fasting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Prayer and Fasting

    Matthew 9:29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

    I can understand the prayer part, but what is the purpose of fasting? How does this help fight the unseen enemy? Is it because we are eating ( But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Matthew 4:4) spiritual food vs literal earthly food?
    "Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!"

    ~Matthew 12:50~

  • #2
    Re: Prayer and Fasting

    In my experience the pain/suffering of not eating brings us closer to God. We rely on him to sustain us through our fast via prayer. It clears the mind and allows us to focus properly on the Lord. If you look in your concordance and look up "suffering" and see that it says it's a privelage. It's because it causes us to move closer to God. Fasting will help do this as well.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Prayer and Fasting

      Isaiah 58 is quite impressive when speaking of fasting; which it tells what God wants from a fast and what He doesnt want.

      I am searching for an answer concerning this: I have prayed for a healing for my friend. Yet this oppression, this bondage will not let him go. So my specific verse of Jesus saying some things of this nature can only be cast out thru prayer and fasting; was to help me understand why. I assume it has something to do with my manner (the condition of my heart and mind) that is preventing my petition.
      "Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!"

      ~Matthew 12:50~

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Prayer and Fasting

        During fasting I can focus better on God, and realize that I am dependent on Him alone.
        Fasting on food also changes the attitude of the heart, and then I hear better... I am better tuned-in the Hear His voice
        The LORD is my Miracle

        G_d was gracious He has shown favor


        Hope is a seed
        God plants in our hearts
        to remind us
        there are better things ahead.
        -Holley Gerth

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Prayer and Fasting

          Originally posted by dancedwithdolphin View Post
          Isaiah 58 is quite impressive when speaking of fasting; which it tells what God wants from a fast and what He doesnt want.

          I am searching for an answer concerning this: I have prayed for a healing for my friend. Yet this oppression, this bondage will not let him go. So my specific verse of Jesus saying some things of this nature can only be cast out thru prayer and fasting; was to help me understand why. I assume it has something to do with my manner (the condition of my heart and mind) that is preventing my petition.
          Fasting is not always about food, but also of behavior,,, of things that I need to stop doing
          The LORD is my Miracle

          G_d was gracious He has shown favor


          Hope is a seed
          God plants in our hearts
          to remind us
          there are better things ahead.
          -Holley Gerth

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Prayer and Fasting

            Originally posted by dancedwithdolphin View Post
            Matthew 9:29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

            I can understand the prayer part, but what is the purpose of fasting? How does this help fight the unseen enemy? Is it because we are eating ( But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Matthew 4:4) spiritual food vs literal earthly food?
            I don't think Jesus is saying, "In order to fight the enemy, you need to pray and fast." Rather Jesus is saying, "God is the one who fights the enemy and if you want to participate in the battle, you need to be in communion with God." I take note of the fact that in that same passage, Jesus casts out the demon without prayer or fasting. How? Jesus was already in communion with the Father. He was already doing what the Father wanted him to do, and saying what the Father wanted him to say. Apparently the disciples forgot that they weren't casting out the demons themselves, but only in conjunction with their role as apostles for Christ. And, apparently, had they spent more time in prayer and fasting, they would have not made this mistake.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Prayer and Fasting

              My personal views on this issue:

              1) Scripturally speaking, when it comes to healing I find no biblical example of anyone petitioning God. I personally believe healing is one of the most misunderstood issues within the body of Christ today which is why most Christians rarely ever see a genuine supernatural healing, and it's also why a good portion of Christians have defaulted to cessationist doctrine.

              2) The matter of prayer and fasting is directly related to our faith as it was a faith issue with the disciples and their encounter with the boy who had the demon. Prayer and fasting has a spiritual purpose and is completely contrary to our carnal flesh who would much rather we seek worldly things. Our flesh would prefer that our minds be aligned with it so that we fulfill its lusts. Prayer and fasting, if done with the right heart, has a tendency to take our minds away from the flesh all the while getting us more in line with the Spirit.
              "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

              -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Prayer and Fasting

                It is interesting that many who suffer from cancer go on an all veggie juice diet or raw foods diet and have an increase in their chances of being healed. Noticably greater than a person that goes on eating a regular diet. Not saying they are related but it is interesting to think about.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Prayer and Fasting

                  My two youngest sons agreed (well I volun-told them and they went along...) to give up drinking soda and only drink water every time we ate at a restaurant for the month of April and the money they raised we gave to a friend for his ingeniousness missions work in India. They raised $100.00 and learned a lot about his work in India in the process. We put up a picture of my friend, India, and the churches / orphanage he ministers in there.

                  It was a simple thing but for two kids under 6 years old it was a great spiritual discipline building time for them that I am sure they will remember. Fasting doesn't have to be bread and water for 40 days, although it can be. It felt very sort of "Catholic" to give up soda, (and we are not Catholic), but their is power in the simplicity of committing to an act of sacrifice for the Lord that one can accomplish. That gives us confidence and spiritual stamina for the next time of sacrifice to grow closer to the Lord.
                  The Pastor's Study
                  “The easiest way to keep a broken vessel full is to keep the faucet constantly running.” – DL Moody

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Prayer and Fasting

                    While the bridegroom was with them they didnt have to fast. In another place, same story Jesus tells them it was because they didnt have enough faith.

                    However, I am curious as to the original intention of fasting. Was it something that God commanded or ordained?
                    "Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!"

                    ~Matthew 12:50~

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Prayer and Fasting

                      Originally posted by DDGresham1 View Post
                      It is interesting that many who suffer from cancer go on an all veggie juice diet or raw foods diet and have an increase in their chances of being healed. Noticably greater than a person that goes on eating a regular diet. Not saying they are related but it is interesting to think about.
                      Yup, it is a pity that we wait until we get ill before we eat properly
                      The LORD is my Miracle

                      G_d was gracious He has shown favor


                      Hope is a seed
                      God plants in our hearts
                      to remind us
                      there are better things ahead.
                      -Holley Gerth

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Prayer and Fasting

                        Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
                        12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
                        13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;


                        These verses to me speaks of the denying of the physical (fasting) for spiritual gain.
                        The LORD is my Miracle

                        G_d was gracious He has shown favor


                        Hope is a seed
                        God plants in our hearts
                        to remind us
                        there are better things ahead.
                        -Holley Gerth

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Prayer and Fasting

                          Originally posted by PilgrimPastor View Post
                          My two youngest sons agreed (well I volun-told them and they went along...) to give up drinking soda and only drink water every time we ate at a restaurant for the month of April and the money they raised we gave to a friend for his ingeniousness missions work in India. They raised $100.00 and learned a lot about his work in India in the process. We put up a picture of my friend, India, and the churches / orphanage he ministers in there.

                          It was a simple thing but for two kids under 6 years old it was a great spiritual discipline building time for them that I am sure they will remember. Fasting doesn't have to be bread and water for 40 days, although it can be. It felt very sort of "Catholic" to give up soda, (and we are not Catholic), but their is power in the simplicity of committing to an act of sacrifice for the Lord that one can accomplish. That gives us confidence and spiritual stamina for the next time of sacrifice to grow closer to the Lord.
                          That's pretty awesome. Though it may have felt "catholic" in practice, I am sure it serves as a good lesson for growth for the kids to reflect back on and teaches good spiritual principles.
                          Originally posted by Job 34:19
                          God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Prayer and Fasting

                            Denying oneself is pretty expounded on in the Bible.
                            Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Prayer and Fasting

                              Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                              Denying oneself is pretty expounded on in the Bible.
                              I would go a step further and state that the denial of the flesh is well expouned upon in scripture. I wouldn't identify with that flesh and consider it to be part of who I am any longer, though. That is the old man that we must put off while we put on the new man that was created in true righteousness and holiness. In truth it is that new creation that makes up our true identity. Our enemy would rather us abide and identify with that old man so that he may enslave us to sin.
                              "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                              -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X