Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

    There are non-believers that restrain themself from committing sins at times. Is God restraining these people?

    The reason I ask, is I believe if I wasn't a believer in Jesus then I would committ more sins.

  • #2
    Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

    It comes across as if you don't believe that people can restrain themselves.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

      The Bible records one instance of God restraining a non-believer (Genesis 20:6 - assuming Abimelek was a non-believer). I don't see why it can't be both. Non-believers can choose not to commit some sins and other times it's possible that God might restrain them though I don't know we could ever prove which might the case.

      In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

      Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

      If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

        Originally posted by Bandit View Post
        It comes across as if you don't believe that people can restrain themselves.
        Good observation! I believe that the only way people can restrain themselves, is because God made us in his image and implanted attributes of himself inside of everyone. I believe that the reason any human can restrain from committing evil is, because GOD wired us from the beginning. I don't believe any person whether a beleiver or non-believer could resist temptation unless God helped in one way or another.

        In order words, I believe no person, should praise theirself for resisting temptation. Just as no one should praise theirself for being attractive in appearance or for being intelligent.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

          Originally posted by ksnsj1 View Post
          Good observation! I believe that the only way people can restrain themselves, is because God made us in his image and implanted attributes of himself inside of everyone. I believe that the reason any human can restrain from committing evil is, because GOD wired us from the beginning. I don't believe any person whether a beleiver or non-believer could resist temptation unless God helped in one way or another.

          In order words, I believe no person, should praise theirself for resisting temptation. Just as no one should praise theirself for being attractive in appearance or for being intelligent.
          To take your premise to the logical conclusion, then, you must also believe that man will be able to restrain evil in hell? After all, the damned don't lose those "attributes" and God's image, right?

          Rufus

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

            Originally posted by Rufus View Post
            To take your premise to the logical conclusion, then, you must also believe that man will be able to restrain evil in hell? After all, the damned don't lose those "attributes" and God's image, right?

            Rufus
            Sounds like the logical conclusion would be the opposite. Hell is the utter absence of God. Therefore, not only would humans not be able to restrain evil, they will have no desire to do so.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

              There has to be an external force restraining folks from sinning (well.... Most folks anyways).... With some it is the fear of going to jail.... Thus the laws in their particular dot on the map restrain them.... With others it is the fear of reprisal from disapproving believing parents (or others).... Thus peer or elder pressure restrains them.... And then there are those who are conditioned in some way by the Church.... Which is why Paul says this:

              (2Th 2:7 NLT) For this lawlessness is already at work secretly, and it will remain secret until the one who is holding it back steps out of the way.

              When I say the Church.... I mean the true Church who acts as God's representative.... In this particular passage Paul is speaking of the day when that restraining influence is taken out of the way (harpadzo).... And at that time sin will no longer be in secret but will run rampant.... Just like in the days of Noah and Lot.... I don't know about anyone else but this season of world history is beginning to look more and more like those days....
              sigpic
              My Church...
              .


              My Facebook page....

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

                Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                To take your premise to the logical conclusion, then, you must also believe that man will be able to restrain evil in hell? After all, the damned don't lose those "attributes" and God's image, right?

                Rufus
                This is a good point. My question to you is, then how do the non-christians restrain themselves now while they are on earth? Remember this as well there will be people that murdered in heaven and people who committed less sins in hell. If you listed all their sins they would be less than those of some or many christians.

                That being said those in hell made the mistake of nothing accepting Jesus as their lord and savior.

                What I'm trying to say is that even people in hell could still have some decency in them, not decency that God would consider righteous, but what a man might consider decent. Such as the story of the rich man and Lazarus, and the rich man asked that someone could go back to his relatives and warn them. Now, to me as a man that seems decent.

                Also, I think the point of hell is not about the people in hell or the lake of fire restraining evil, it is about them being tortured and punished.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

                  Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                  After all, the damned don't lose those "attributes" and God's image, right?
                  What is your basis for this? What does a damned soul in hell look like? How do you know whether man retains God's image there? I have never seen that in scripture, and, unless you have something that verifies(ie scripture) it, then your 'logical conclusion' has no basis.
                  Originally posted by ksnsj1
                  I believe that the only way people can restrain themselves, is because God made us in his image and implanted attributes of himself inside of everyone.
                  Except for the word 'only', this is a good point. Man, all men, ARE created in God's image, regardless of their belief or lack thereof. They cannot help themselves but to display God's glory in the earth. That is one reason why Satan is so bent on stealing, killing and destroying us, believer or not.
                  But, as was pointed out by someone else, there are other things that restrain people from sin, ie jail, peer pressure, upbringing, etc.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

                    Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
                    What is your basis for this? What does a damned soul in hell look like? How do you know whether man retains God's image there? I have never seen that in scripture, and, unless you have something that verifies(ie scripture) it, then your 'logical conclusion' has no basis.
                    I was taking someone else's premise to the logical conclusion. First of all I disagree with KSN, for none of us possess God's attributes, e.g. omniscience, omnipotence, infinity, etc. And secondly, just because we were created in God's image doesn't give us inherent power to choose God. Even in the Gen 20 text he cited, it was God who took the credit for restraining Abimelech and protecting Sarah -- "I DID NOT LET YOU...".

                    I brought hell into this discussion because it and heaven are at the opposite extreme ends of what the situation here on earth is. Heaven will be the place of absolute Good. There will be no Evil in heaven. Who gets credit for that: God or the saints who dwell there? The saints in heaven won't be able to sin, which in some religious circles could be construed as a violation of man's "sovereign" free will). Conversely, in Hell, I don't believe there will be any Good in that place. All people in hell are those who have rejected the only Good (God) when on earth because the loved darkness because their deeds were evil. Is not hell described as "outer darkness". No light! No good. Since Romans 1 teaches that God gives the incorrigible here on earth over to reprobate minds to sink deeper into sin, then there is no reason to believe that he won't do that in hell, also.

                    Except for the word 'only', this is a good point. Man, all men, ARE created in God's image, regardless of their belief or lack thereof. They cannot help themselves but to display God's glory in the earth.
                    How do the unregenerate give glory to God?

                    That is one reason why Satan is so bent on stealing, killing and destroying us, believer or not.
                    But, as was pointed out by someone else, there are other things that restrain people from sin, ie jail, peer pressure, upbringing, etc.
                    Yes, God uses means to restrain evil -- even government. But ultimately it's God who restrains evil. For both good and evil go forth from God's mouth (Lam 3:37,38; Isa 45:7).

                    Rufus

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

                      Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                      I was taking someone else's premise to the logical conclusion. First of all I disagree with KSN, for none of us possess God's attributes, e.g. omniscience, omnipotence, infinity, etc. And secondly, just because we were created in God's image doesn't give us inherent power to choose God. Even in the Gen 20 text he cited, it was God who took the credit for restraining Abimelech and protecting Sarah -- "I DID NOT LET YOU...".
                      I brought hell into this discussion because it and heaven are at the opposite extreme ends of what the situation here on earth is. Heaven will be the place of absolute Good. There will be no Evil in heaven. Who gets credit for that: God or the saints who dwell there? The saints in heaven won't be able to sin, which in some religious circles could be construed as a violation of man's "sovereign" free will). Conversely, in Hell, I don't believe there will be any Good in that place. All people in hell are those who have rejected the only Good (God) when on earth because the loved darkness because their deeds were evil. Is not hell described as "outer darkness". No light! No good. Since Romans 1 teaches that God gives the incorrigible here on earth over to reprobate minds to sink deeper into sin, then there is no reason to believe that he won't do that in hell, also.
                      Guess that explains it, thanks.
                      How do the unregenerate give glory to God?
                      I didn't say they did. I said they display God's glory. Giving him glory is quite another matter. I should have said 'image' rather than 'glory'. They, like you, are made in God's image. Thus, God's image is displayed. It fills the earth.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

                        Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
                        Guess that explains it, thanks.
                        It does? .............................
                        sigpic
                        My Church...
                        .


                        My Facebook page....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

                          Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                          I was taking someone else's premise to the logical conclusion. First of all I disagree with KSN, for none of us possess God's attributes, e.g. omniscience, omnipotence, infinity, etc. And secondly, just because we were created in God's image doesn't give us inherent power to choose God. Even in the Gen 20 text he cited, it was God who took the credit for restraining Abimelech and protecting Sarah -- "I DID NOT LET YOU...".

                          I brought hell into this discussion because it and heaven are at the opposite extreme ends of what the situation here on earth is. Heaven will be the place of absolute Good. There will be no Evil in heaven. Who gets credit for that: God or the saints who dwell there? The saints in heaven won't be able to sin, which in some religious circles could be construed as a violation of man's "sovereign" free will). Conversely, in Hell, I don't believe there will be any Good in that place. All people in hell are those who have rejected the only Good (God) when on earth because the loved darkness because their deeds were evil. Is not hell described as "outer darkness". No light! No good. Since Romans 1 teaches that God gives the incorrigible here on earth over to reprobate minds to sink deeper into sin, then there is no reason to believe that he won't do that in hell, also.



                          How do the unregenerate give glory to God?



                          Yes, God uses means to restrain evil -- even government. But ultimately it's God who restrains evil. For both good and evil go forth from God's mouth (Lam 3:37,38; Isa 45:7).

                          Rufus
                          Yes, God is the one who restrains evil not men. God does this through various methods. One of the methods I believe is that God has put good qualities in everyone. There are some very moral athesist I have know and there are some really bad christians.

                          My christian dad was a very bad man for many many years, but now he is not. Then I know of another dad, who did much better as a dad and husband and is a non-chrisian.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

                            I am not sure that God restrains sin. We have been created with a will, and are born spiritually corrupt and capable of all manner of sin, and the history of the world attests to that.

                            The restrainer is Holy Spirit, who dwells in the people called by His name. It is by the renewing of our minds as Christians, by the freeing power of Holy Spirit that we overcome sin.

                            Unbelievers are unrestrained except by a moral sense that has been placed in each individual heart and is developed or expressed according to one's own environmental conditioning.

                            Romans 2:14-16
                            Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. And this is the message I proclaim—that the day is coming when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge everyone’s secret life.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Is God restraining even the non-believers from committing sins?

                              Originally posted by ksnsj1 View Post
                              ... then how do the non-christians restrain themselves now while they are on earth? ...
                              So you do believe that they can and do restrain themselves. Then it should be obvious that God created men with moral volition (what some would call 'free-will', but then some others get hung up over the word 'free').

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X