Luke 11:46 meaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luke 11:46 meaning

Luk 11:46 And he said, "Woe to you lawyers also! For you load people with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not touch the burdens with one of your fingers.

Hi,
    I'm trying to understand exactly by what Jesus meant by "and you yourselves do not touch the burdens with one of your fingers."

I've looked through the Mishnah and several other Jewish religious texts, and I understand what Jesus meant by "load people with burdens hard to bear", but I'm not so sure what is meant by "you will not touch the burdens with one of your fingers."

By the literal reading, it seems they formulate all the man-made regulations around the Law for the people to obey, but they themselves do not concern themselves with obeying them.

But some commentators have said that cannot be what it means, because they were fastidious in obeying their man-made laws. But that kinda contradicts Jesus' plain meaning.

I would like to understand what Jesus meant exactly by examples of what the lawyers did not do, and how they did not "touch the burdens". If there are any anecdotes or records from Jewish history during that time period, that would be great.

Thanks for your help!
    Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Re: Luke 11:46 meaning

Originally posted by ThyWordIsTruth View Post
    Luk 11:46 And he said, "Woe to you lawyers also! For you load people with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not touch the burdens with one of your fingers.

Hi,
    I'm trying to understand exactly by what Jesus meant by "and you yourselves do not touch the burdens with one of your fingers."

I've looked through the Mishnah and several other Jewish religious texts, and I understand what Jesus meant by "load people with burdens hard to bear", but I'm not so sure what is meant by "you will not touch the burdens with one of your fingers."

By the literal reading, it seems they formulate all the man-made regulations around the Law for the people to obey, but they themselves do not concern themselves with obeying them.

But some commentators have said that cannot be what it means, because they were fastidious in obeying their man-made laws. But that kinda contradicts Jesus' plain meaning.

I would like to understand what Jesus meant exactly by examples of what the lawyers did not do, and how they did not "touch the burdens". If there are any anecdotes or records from Jewish history during that time period, that would be great.

Thanks for your help!
    The parallel scripture in Matthew 23:1-4 sheds more light. "Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers." The "burdens" must be the Law of Moses as, (i) they sat in his seat, and (ii) as our Lord condemns the laws of men, saying that by them the words of God are made non effect (Matt.15:1-9), He would not have said; "whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do."

It seems that they forced them on the people but only made a show of doing them in public. Thus the title "Hypocrites!" Hypocrite comes from the root word meaning a "mask." Something that makes one look different and hides the true face.

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post
      Hypocrite comes from the root word meaning a "mask."
      Hypocrite is a compound Greek word. 'Hypo' is the preposition for 'under'. And 'krites' is from a verb meaning 'to choose based on judgment'.
      However, I do see in the word's definition that it was used of actors who play a character. Actors in ancient times often wore masks conforming to their character's symbolic role.

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post
        The parallel scripture in Matthew 23:1-4 sheds more light. "Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers." The "burdens" must be the Law of Moses as, (i) they sat in his seat, and (ii) as our Lord condemns the laws of men, saying that by them the words of God are made non effect (Matt.15:1-9), He would not have said; "whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do."

It seems that they forced them on the people but only made a show of doing them in public. Thus the title "Hypocrites!" Hypocrite comes from the root word meaning a "mask." Something that makes one look different and hides the true face.
        That's excellent Walls! It seems they really did not bother themselves with obeying the regulations they came up with, much less the Law. Thank you!

If anyone else has anymore comments, particularly from Jewish history, pls feel free to share, thanks.
        Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Comment

Luke 11:46 NLV
          Jesus said, “It is bad for you also, you men who know the Law! For you put heavy loads on the shoulders of men. But you will not even put your finger on one of these loads to help them.

These Pharisees would be quick to pronounce Talmudic law to people, calling for their compliance, but they didn't help them understand the laws or assist them to comply. They stood around watching people fail and pointing fingers at them, their own hypocrisy evident to all.

Jesus sums it up in verse 52:

“What sorrow awaits you experts in religious law! For you remove the key to knowledge from the people. You don’t enter the Kingdom yourselves, and you prevent others from entering.”

Comment

Dearest God's children
            My understanding under the holy spirit in this verse ;
            If you read the parascending verses ,verse 44,
            Jesus compares the lawyers as unmarked graves which men,
            walk over without knowing it , that is truly ironic because all men know the truth on a grave site ,
            there graves which are many years old ,flat ,and all men are aware of that but yet walk over them in like manner ,the lawyers know the truths of their
            clients and yet defend the criminal on technicality and use the law to turn it around in favor of the criminal .
            Therefore the verse 44 refers to lawyers, who rather than helping the people to bring the unjust to be prosecuted ,lay burdens upon them ,making the accused burdened and do not lift their fingers to help.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

i think it sheds just a little light to consider this

Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
              **Galatians‬ *6:2‬ *KJV‬‬

Comment

i think it sheds just a little light to consider this

Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
                **Galatians‬ *6:2‬ *KJV‬‬
                Thanks for shedding much (not little) light. Luke 11: 46 shows an example of how the law of Christ is superior to the Mosaic law.

A man's burden constitutes his problems, encumbrances, impediments etc. Scribes and Pharisees foist their personal problems on others and do nothing to help themselves. It is okay to mutually share problems and participate in finding solutions for them.

To mutually share problems and participate in solving them fulfills the law of Christ. To selfishly foist problems on others without doing a thing to help in solving them demonstrates one weakness in the Mosaic law to which Scribes and Pharisees subscribe.
                Grace and peace unto you from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ!

Comment

Originally posted by Glorious View Post
                  Thanks for shedding much (not little) light. Luke 11: 46 shows an example of how the law of Christ is superior to the Mosaic law.

A man's burden constitutes his problems, encumbrances, impediments etc. Scribes and Pharisees foist their personal problems on others and do nothing to help themselves. It is okay to mutually share problems and participate in finding solutions for them.

To mutually share problems and participate in solving them fulfills the law of Christ. To selfishly foist problems on others without doing a thing to help in solving them demonstrates one weakness in the Mosaic law to which Scribes and Pharisees subscribe.

indeed brother this was What they may have read in the law, but lacked the understanding....

“And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.”
                  **Luke‬ *10:30-37‬ *KJV‬‬

because God has shown us the great mercy through Christ, and the great wisdom of his words, we are blessed to understand the things God commands through The gospel. We are those born out of mercy, out of our God sacrificing the most, for us with no other reason but that he Loved us truthfully. And so, as they had thought thier sacrifices to him were the requirement for thier souls, they were blinded to mercy and truth. Both that we are born from and that we are shown to give others in his name who suffered and died on our behalf, spending his blood for the atonement price of our souls.

if our dear mother, was destitute of daily needs, of our dear sister was homeless begging for help, of our dearest friend was in need such as the journeyman in the parable .....what would we do if we had the means to help them?

rather , of Jesus was in that position .....what would we do? And what will we do considering this

“Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
                  **Matthew‬ *25:34-36, 40‬ *KJV‬‬

looking to the spirit of this....we find truth

Comment

I agree and it touches me that the passage is about compassion.
                    That the burden was to heavy that was made by these men who had taken the covenant of God as a way to obtain power over other people, and although we reach for it, to bare it, we shouldn't be over burdened with it but over joyed with the forgiveness from each other. For given certain circumstances any man may fall.

Comment

I really agree this is about compassion and mercy; James 2:8-13. And this is what James refers to as works that are produced by saving faith; James 2:14-26. Paul does state faith worketh by love, Galatians 5:6. So we can really state that the Work(s) of the Holy Ghost is God’s love given to our hearts, Romans 5:5; I Peter 1:22.

In I John 3:16-18; John describes the signs of having the Love of God in our hearts stating compassion is much in need.

Comment

Mercy is also what I thought of:
                        "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former."—Matthew 23:23

The teachers of the law laid heavy burdens on others and showed no mercy if they failed to comply. For example the woman caught in the act of adultery whom they wanted to put to death; but Jesus showed her mercy and gave her another chance.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your help!
                          I cannot help you with the specifically-Hebrew understanding. However, the Christian principle involved is quite simple. The Law of Moses comprised, in a sense, a burdensome Law, because it was much more than the 2 commandments Jesus offered, to love God and to love neighbors. Much more, the Law consisted of 613 rules, many of which required special and careful attention to rituals that had to be carried out in detail. Offering animal sacrifices was indeed burdensome.

Though the Pharisees rightly required these "burdens" to be accomplished, they failed to "lift the burdens," as they were intended to do. All of the rituals, including animal sacrifices and rituals of purification, were required to bring peace to the worshiper. Acts of redemption should've brought security in the love and grace of God.

But the Pharisees failed to accomplish this because they observed the Law externally, which of course was not how the Law was meant to be observed. The Law was the word of God, which imparts spirituality, virtue, and life to the worshiper. Those who obey God's Law actually participate in the virtue and spirituality of God. It assures them of forgiveness and of the hope of Eternal Life. The Pharisees, in their external worship, failed to provide this.

This has also been a perennial problem in the church--the idea of external worship. After years and years of Christian practice, traditional worship has, at times, evolved into false sacramentalism and ceremonialism. External worship is never what the Law of Moses had been designed for. All of its rituals were designed to relieve Israel of burdens, so that they could carry on, in their covenant with God, having the assurance that they would be blessed with His good pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                          X