Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A local Chruch with out a building, would you come?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A local Chruch with out a building, would you come?

I have been going through a reformation on the way I think and see things. I have been desiring for more than what our culture calls "Church" (not to offend anyone) I do not feel at peace about it any more. I have visited many local chruches within the last year, including different denominations, and I feel the same way every time, like what am I doing here?!?! I as myself as I am siiting there going through the norm, is this what Jesus wants us to do? I almost feel like I am hiding my love for him behind the walls of the church buildings. Then I think why do we spend all of this money on nice buildings and things, to provide more space and conviences for people, it almost seems as if we are trying buy people to come to "chruch." Why aren't we going to them? Why are we trying to get them to come to us? I want the world to see my love for my King and Saviour, and My brothers and sisters. I am thinking about having a group of believers meet at a park close to dowtnown instead of a building. There are many benifits to this: one you dont have to buy or rent a building so more money to the poor and needy of the congregation and others, two, people will see a bold love for God out in the open, three, if people want to check things out they dont have to feel the pressures of going inside a strange or new place they can just come and join in or spectate. Then I would also like for the people of the congregation to open up there homes to each other to have prayer and fellowship during the week, who knows maybe we'll meet everyday. All I know is that I want more, and I know that Jesus' main command was for us to love each other the way he loves us. We were also told to be like a city on a hill giving light to the world, how can we do that behind the walls of a building? I know we can be a liht at work and other places like that in our everyday lives but I'm talking about the world seeing us in action, breaking bread in the name of Jesus, praying and reading scripture and singing our hearts out ot God. That would be amazing to me, to live the way the early church did.

Every believer is supposed to be a minister. You get them in the building them by grabbing them out of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by DAISHI View Post
      Every believer is supposed to be a minister. You get them in the building them by grabbing them out of the world.
      I agree that everyone is a minister, but what is the importance of getting people into the building?

Comment

We meet in a school. Most of us dont' want a church building for the simple reason that because of where we meet we stand out in the community. There is a curiousity about us. When people come in to check us out they hear the gospel. In a church building they might just drive by us.

The town loves us!( this is only the work of God...)
        This past weekend they asked us if we would like to lease a closed down school and use it for our church building. We are in prayer about this as it will continue to keep us in the community and not just another church.
        .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
        .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Stephan, stop thinking about it and just go do it. You are not the only one fed up with 'business as usual'. There are many people out there that will never set foot inside a church, because they will be immediately judged by the people there.
          Many people could not get saved inside a church because of that very issue. And none of us were commanded to sit in a church building on Sunday mornings.
          Each of us has a gift (or several actually), and that gift is to be used to minister to others.
          The only thing I would add to your thoughts above is that when you take up a collection, find the 'neediest' person there and give it all to that person. What would you need it for anyway?
          If you seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, then all (your needs) will be added unto you.
          What you are desiring to do is exactly that, seeking the kingdom. Go do it, and place all your trust in God to provide everything you need to accomplish it. He will.
          As long as you keep the attitude that it's not about you, not YOUR church, not YOUR kingdom, not YOUR word, not YOUR will, BUT HIS, He will do amazing things through you.
          And, don't listen to patsy pew warmers telling you you can't, or shouldn't. Just go do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefen View Post
            I have been going through a reformation on the way I think and see things. I have been desiring for more than what our culture calls "Church" (not to offend anyone) I do not feel at peace about it any more. I have visited many local chruches within the last year, including different denominations, and I feel the same way every time, like what am I doing here?!?! I as myself as I am siiting there going through the norm, is this what Jesus wants us to do? I almost feel like I am hiding my love for him behind the walls of the church buildings. Then I think why do we spend all of this money on nice buildings and things, to provide more space and conviences for people, it almost seems as if we are trying buy people to come to "chruch." Why aren't we going to them? Why are we trying to get them to come to us? I want the world to see my love for my King and Saviour, and My brothers and sisters. I am thinking about having a group of believers meet at a park close to dowtnown instead of a building. There are many benifits to this: one you dont have to buy or rent a building so more money to the poor and needy of the congregation and others, two, people will see a bold love for God out in the open, three, if people want to check things out they dont have to feel the pressures of going inside a strange or new place they can just come and join in or spectate. Then I would also like for the people of the congregation to open up there homes to each other to have prayer and fellowship during the week, who knows maybe we'll meet everyday. All I know is that I want more, and I know that Jesus' main command was for us to love each other the way he loves us. We were also told to be like a city on a hill giving light to the world, how can we do that behind the walls of a building? I know we can be a liht at work and other places like that in our everyday lives but I'm talking about the world seeing us in action, breaking bread in the name of Jesus, praying and reading scripture and singing our hearts out ot God. That would be amazing to me, to live the way the early church did.

Over 20 years ago, when I lived in Dallas, I fell on some very hard times. I literally became homeless and lived on the streets for a few months. There were Christians that came to the people on the streets.
            I felt more compassion and love there than I ever did in any church building. I don't go to any physical church now nor do I want to. I feel the Lord allowed me to be homeless for a reason. Even now as I resist, I feel the Lord is speaking to my heart, telling me that I need to get out there where I once was, and to return to those less fortunate, the love and compassion that I felt. We ALL need to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
              We ALL need to do this.
              I agree. I believe that is what the Holy Spirit is leading the listening church to do, to get out of the walls and take it to the streets, the malls, and everywhere else.
              Church is fine for regrouping, refilling, fellowship, etc. But we are called to go out.

Comment

Here's an example for you.........
                At a grocery store parking lot, feeding the hungry, prayer, sharing the gospel message..................

and here is what it's really all about............
                reaching out with the love of Christ to the suffering...

If you aren't involved in some kind of ministry outside the church walls, let me encourage you to go try it. It doesn't have to be feeding. Seek where and how God would have you minister, what He puts in your heart to do, then go do it. Not qualified? Nonsense. The Blood of Christ and the infilling of the Holy Spirit makes you qualified.

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
                For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
                For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
                But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein], he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
                If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion [is] vain.
                Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world. James 1:22-27

Comment

Check out the states represented here. TX, MO, NC, NM, and here in GA God is calling us to real Christianity. Read John 4 again. He is calling us to worship in Spirit and in Truth. God does not dwell in brick and mortar.

Comment

Here is one http://www.churchunderthebridge.org/
                    and a photo from this past Sunday from someone on another forum who went there

They had Jesus on a donkey

and on a hawg
                    ...be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man, that Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith, that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are and to know the knowledge-surpassing love of Christ, that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God. Eph. 3:16-19

Comment

You are not the only one that has gone through this "reformation".
                      I have noticed there are more and more people, that I am aware of, looking for a deeper relationship with God and His will than being confined, yes I said confined, to a pew in a church building.
                      I see many churches building bigger, extravagant buildings to "attract".
                      Too many start out in church and stay there for all their life and the generations to follow. Some do not realize they were there in the beginning to be taught and then to become. Some require feeding forever. Some need to feed after being taught.
                      Praise God for His spirit and Truth. May His spirit encourage His followers to reach out and go forward.
                      Hebrews 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season

Comment

Is it going to rain or snow?
                        3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Comment

A friend of mine is a Pastor of a street congregation. Most of the members are homeless or indigent. I think it is a fantastic idea since some of the churches today have dress codes and will not allow for homeless people to enter the church. My friend has brought soooo many people to Christ with his church without a building. I think it's a great idea! I witness to some of these homeless people...they stink sometimes, but they need God's love too! And if it rains, we have tarps set up!

Love,
                          Madeline
                          "Me and God, we'd be mates"

Comment

My point wasn't to say anything but that any church worth its salt is composed of an active congregation. It doesn't matter where you meet, be it in a house, under a bridge or in a church. The meeting place is, in the strictest sense, irrelevant. As long as the members are active in ministry then it's no more advantageous to be under the bridge than in a building, because both will serve to win the lost, albeit it in different locations and probably with different categories of people. Even at that, many churches I have worked with had active programs for people on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by DAISHI View Post
                              My point wasn't to say anything but that any church worth its salt is composed of an active congregation. It doesn't matter where you meet, be it in a house, under a bridge or in a church. The meeting place is, in the strictest sense, irrelevant. As long as the members are active in ministry then it's no more advantageous to be under the bridge than in a building, because both will serve to win the lost, albeit it in different locations and probably with different categories of people. Even at that, many churches I have worked with had active programs for people on the street.
                              I disagree, one you have to buy or build buildings, my recent church just built a multi million dollar facility, and two I feel like I am hiding out instead of letting my love and compassion for God shine out among all of th inhabitants of the earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X