What does the Bible say about "life after death"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion What does the Bible say about "life after death"

I was just wondering what others thoughts were on "life after death", what does the Bible say happens to a believer when we die? Does our Spirit go to heaven immediately? or do we go to "sleep" until God returns? I get confused when I read the Bible concerning this...it says the "dead no nothing" and then it says "the believers in Christ will rise first" (when God comes back)...does anyone else get confused when reading the Bible?? Thank you for your answers in advance!
    AngelNSC (Jeanie)

Re: What does the Bible say about "life after death"

Originally posted by AngelNSC View Post
    I was just wondering what others thoughts were on "life after death", what does the Bible say happens to a believer when we die? Does our Spirit go to heaven immediately? or do we go to "sleep" until God returns? I get confused when I read the Bible concerning this...it says the "dead no nothing" and then it says "the believers in Christ will rise first" (when God comes back)...does anyone else get confused when reading the Bible?? Thank you for your answers in advance!
    According to the Bible, Abraham (who is long dead) went to Hades (which means grave) after he died (Luke 16:23).

Revelation 6:9-10 says "When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne. They cried out with a loud voice, 'O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?'" meaning that the souls of the dead go to "under the altar" after they die. In figure, the altar is in the outer court of the tabernacle and the temple, and the outer court signifies the earth. Hence, the area underneath the altar is the region underneath the earth, where the souls of the dead saints are. Since Hades is underneath the earth (matt 12:40 + Acts 2:27) this means we will be in Hades for a while until the end of the age comes. Yet apparently we can still cry out to God there (Revelation 6:10).

Comment

Be prepared to get even more confused I used to believe we went straight to heaven, then I spent a long time believing that we went Abrahams bosom. I now see things from a different perspective/viewpoint and I'm back to believing we go straight to heaven!

blessings to you
      My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
      ------
      "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Comment

Originally posted by david View Post
        Revelation 6:9-10 says "When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne. They cried out with a loud voice, 'O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?'" meaning that the souls of the dead go to "under the altar" after they die.
        That only shows the souls of the martyred there, not every soul of the dead.
        James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Originally posted by Indueseason View Post
          Be prepared to get even more confused I used to believe we went straight to heaven, then I spent a long time believing that we went Abrahams bosom. I now see things from a different perspective/viewpoint and I'm back to believing we go straight to heaven!

blessings to you
          Ecc 12:6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.
          Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
          James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

It would seem the straight to heaven idea doesn't work simply because that would mean people go to heaven before the judgment. It was the teaching of the earliest Christians that the souls of the dead went to Abraham's bosom just as Jesus said. It was also taught that they remained there until the judgment after which they would go to the place determined for them in the judgment.

Comment

For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you. (Philippians 1:23-24)

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. (Luke 23:43)

Comment

one place i know for your answer is
                matthew 20
                about the helpers in the vineyard , being like the kingdom of heaven
                the last will be first to be paid AKA go to heaven
                I know I cant spell, nor know where to put them ,, ., and ?
                If you are so smart, you should be able to figure it out though, huh.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                  It would seem the straight to heaven idea doesn't work simply because that would mean people go to heaven before the judgment. It was the teaching of the earliest Christians that the souls of the dead went to Abraham's bosom just as Jesus said. It was also taught that they remained there until the judgment after which they would go to the place determined for them in the judgment.

What does one do with a passage like the following?

Matthew 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
                  53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

The question is, not they came out of the graves. but where did they go after having appeared to many? It clearly says they which slept, they arose. Where else have we seen something similar?

1 Thessalonians 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
                  14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

I would think these are meaning those that have since died after Matthew 27:52-53 was fulfilled. What's it say about these which are asleep and rise first in 1 Thessalonians 4?

1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

It says...and so shall we ever be with the Lord. The point then is, since Matthew 27:52 -53 also tells us that dead saints raised bodily out of the graves, then why would they not now forever be with the Lord, since that's what happens at the 2nd coming? Surely those bodies in Matthew 27:52-53 didn't return back into their graves after having appeared to many, did they? If so, then what was the point to begin with, since there really is not much focus on this event? We see some of the apostles in Acts referring to Christ's physical resurrection, but they never seem to bring up these in Matthew 27:52-53 as well.

Comment

You first must decide what death is .

Did you ever hear Christ say let the dead bury thier dead.

Christ spoke of people who were walking around here on earth as "dead" do you think he knows what a dead person is ?

so now some would suppose that being born in flesh as being alive.
                    others might suppose that you are never alive until the Holy Spirit enters you

many see Christ say let the dead bury their dead and sorta blow it off, but if Christ points to someone who is walking around and tells you they are dead, then you know that is what dead is

the flesh is not life, the spirit is life

what do you think God says life is ? do you think he thinks your alive when your here in flesh ? or does he think youre alive when you have the holy spirit ?

Comment

Let me add this as well

I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
                      Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

so I would ask is it even possible to die after you liveth and believeth in Christ ? now remember we are trying to figure out what it really means to be alive and to be dead.

so really ponder this from all sides, do you believe that ? lets say I liveth and believeth in him. would I be safe to say - I shall never die. Think about that when you are defining death.

just because we live in a fleshy world and have termed us dying in the flesh, death - dont think God uses same definition that we do.

you can be bouncing around having a good ole time here on earth but you can be dead as a doornail at the same time.

So when I ponder it I know the flesh will fall off me or do whatever it has to do but i know that has nothing to do with me dying.

btw when adam and eve were in the garden they were alive, they were told if they ate from the fruit of the tree for in that day they would die. also remember christ saying let the dead bury their dead - see a reason why he might call them dead ?

so when you start pondering life and death think about it from Gods perspective not what we call life and death.

Gen_2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                        So what does that mean - "abraham's bosom"?

Comment

Originally posted by Indueseason View Post

blessings to you
                          Joh 7:34 Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me: and where I am, thither ye cannot come.
                          Joh 8:21 Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come.
                          Joh 13:33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Act 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
                          Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
                          Rev 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

The reward of the saved is here on earth. Christ comes back here, we do no0t go there.
                          I've been throwed outta better places than this.

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
                            What does one do with a passage like the following?

Matthew 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
                            53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

The question is, not they came out of the graves. but where did they go after having appeared to many? It clearly says they which slept, they arose. Where else have we seen something similar?

1 Thessalonians 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
                            14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

I would think these are meaning those that have since died after Matthew 27:52-53 was fulfilled. What's it say about these which are asleep and rise first in 1 Thessalonians 4?

1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

It says...and so shall we ever be with the Lord. The point then is, since Matthew 27:52 -53 also tells us that dead saints raised bodily out of the graves, then why would they not now forever be with the Lord, since that's what happens at the 2nd coming? Surely those bodies in Matthew 27:52-53 didn't return back into their graves after having appeared to many, did they? If so, then what was the point to begin with, since there really is not much focus on this event? We see some of the apostles in Acts referring to Christ's physical resurrection, but they never seem to bring up these in Matthew 27:52-53 as well.
                            Every man in his own order...

1Co 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

No one is resurrected from the grave to life until the return of Christ, these saints that were resurrected at the time of His death were human and died again.
                            I've been throwed outta better places than this.

Comment

Originally posted by david View Post
                              According to the Bible, Abraham (who is long dead) went to Hades (which means grave) after he died (Luke 16:23).
                              Need to revise this. It does seem odd that Lazarus would be "carried off" to Abraham's bosom whereas the rich man was "buried." Why would Lazarus need to be "carried off" by angels to be buried? Being carried off seems to imply going upward, instead of downward. Second, there's a "chasm" between Abraham's place and the rich man's place that seems to divide the two places. Thirdly, the difference in position between where the rich man was and where Abraham was was "far off." These make me change my mind about us believers going downward instead of upward.

"Now there was a rich man, and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, joyously living in splendor every day. And a poor man named Lazarus was laid at his gate, covered with sores, and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man's table; besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores. Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried. In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried out and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.' But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony. 'And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.'" Luke 16:19-26

Comment

Working...
                              X