Hebrews 10:26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hebrews 10:26

Hey ya'll. I posted this question in my introduction thread. I guess this is a more appropriate place for it.
    I would like some thoughts as to what is meant by this verse. I have always 'leaned' toward the once saved, always saved notion. But I would like your thoughts.

Re: Hebrews 10:26

Howdy!

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
    Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
    Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
    Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
    Heb 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
    Heb 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

You'd think we would have more fear of the Lord when confronted with passages like these.

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

sigpic
    מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
    התהלכו באור

Comment

I agree. But is this meant for the believer who 'slides back' into a sinful lifestyle? Or is it meant for those who did believe and then choose to not believe? Falling back into sin woud be less grevious, I would think, than completely turning one's back on God.

Comment

Originally posted by t1mlew1s View Post
        I agree. But is this meant for the believer who 'slides back' into a sinful lifestyle? Or is it meant for those who did believe and then choose to not believe? Falling back into sin woud be less grevious, I would think, than completely turning one's back on God.
        If someone is sinning willfully then aren't they turning their back on God? As Christians we all sin but that doesn't mean we sin in willful disobedience and rebellion against God.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

If we are not consciously making the effort to submit to the Spirit and allowing Him to lead us then we are vulnerable to "the lust of the flesh" which can lead to us not doing the things that we want to do. We don't want to sin but since our flesh is still weak we still do sin if we don't put in the effort to submit to the Spirit and allow Him to help us overcome the desires of our flesh/sin nature. But not doing "the things that ye would" must be different than sinning willfully. It seems to me that sinning willfully means you are consciously rebelling and disobeying God and it's what you want to do. That's obviously a serious problem but Heb 10:26 indicates that it can happen if we're not careful. The author says "if we sin willfully..." so he is including himself in the warning, which means it's a warning for believers.

Comment

Hey ya'll. I posted this question in my introduction thread. I guess this is a more appropriate place for it.
          I would like some thoughts as to what is meant by this verse. I have always 'leaned' toward the once saved, always saved notion. But I would like your thoughts.
          Hi t1,

It's talking about Christians turning away from Christ and being lost. OSAS (Once Saved Always Saved) is a modern invention that was unknown in the church prior to the Refomation in the 1500."

Comment

Back sliding is hte process of turning away.

Hebrews 3:11-15(KJV)
            11So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
            12Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
            13But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
            14For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
            15While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
              Back sliding is hte process of turning away.

Hebrews 3:11-15(KJV)
              11So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
              12Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
              13But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
              14For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
              15While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
              Right. If someone continues back sliding they will eventually fall away and develop "an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God". That passage is a clear warning to believers to be careful to avoid being "hardened through the deceitfulness of sin" and developing "an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God".

Comment

Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
                Heb 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Is the writer saying that we won't draw back, or that if any do draw back, though he shall have no pleasure in him, it will not be a drawn back to perdition.

Comment

no one who knows God sins. therefore, it would most definitely be "turning your back on God" if you sinned against him.
                  "And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, (1John 2:3-4)"

Comment

Originally posted by John146 View Post
                    Right. If someone continues back sliding they will eventually fall away and develop "an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God". That passage is a clear warning to believers to be careful to avoid being "hardened through the deceitfulness of sin" and developing "an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God".
                    "That passage is a clear warning to believers"
                    I might disagree.

Are they unbelieving because they have backslidden?

I don't think that these 'possible' unbelieving have yet truly believed and entered into His rest.

The Jews (natural branches) were already in the olive tree, but were broken off because of unbelief. Is it not probable that there were yet some among these Hebrew brethren, who may were still not truly believing, and they are told to exhort one another while it is called today, or they would as a natural branch be broken off?

Comment

Hi t1,

Heb 10:26 is speaking to those who have received the knowledge of the truth (Christ Jesus) but they suppressed it in unrighteousness (Rom 1:18).
                      They "sin wilfully" by remaining under the law of sin and death and thereby are judged a transgressor (Gal 2:17-21). They seek to establish their own righteousness and refuse to submit to the righteousness of God (Rom 10:3).

Remember Rom 8:2. "the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death"

We should use God's definitions of sin as man's definitons are ambiguous and only cause confusion. In Heb 10:26 the sin it speaks of is transgression of the law (1John3:4).
                      But the law is not made for Christians (1Tim 1:9). Instead it is made for the ungodly and sinner.

If you believe you are saved by grace then Heb 10:26 does not speak to you.

Comment

Thank you everyone for these great responses. I am less doubtful than I was before. I am reminded that "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1:8. And I am reminded that Peter 'willfully' denied Christ three times. I will have to study more about OSAS. Of course, I don't intend to test whether or not it is true! I realize that I will continue to sin, not willfully as before, but when I do, I will seek forgiveness. I think the only way to know for sure if OSAS is true, you would have to die in your sins.

Comment

Originally posted by Haz View Post
                          Hi t1,

Heb 10:26 is speaking to those who have received the knowledge of the truth (Christ Jesus) but they suppressed it in unrighteousness (Rom 1:18).
                          They "sin wilfully" by remaining under the law of sin and death and thereby are judged a transgressor (Gal 2:17-21). They seek to establish their own righteousness and refuse to submit to the righteousness of God (Rom 10:3).

Remember Rom 8:2. "the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death"

We should use God's definitions of sin as man's definitons are ambiguous and only cause confusion. In Heb 10:26 the sin it speaks of is transgression of the law (1John3:4).
                          But the law is not made for Christians (1Tim 1:9). Instead it is made for the ungodly and sinner.

If you believe you are saved by grace then Heb 10:26 does not speak to you.
                          Hi Haz,

Heb. 10:26 is speaking to believing Christians who have been saved by grace.

Comment

Thank you everyone for these great responses. I am less doubtful than I was before. I am reminded that "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1:8. And I am reminded that Peter 'willfully' denied Christ three times. I will have to study more about OSAS. Of course, I don't intend to test whether or not it is true! I realize that I will continue to sin, not willfully as before, but when I do, I will seek forgiveness. I think the only way to know for sure if OSAS is true, you would have to die in your sins.
                            Hi t1,

Here is a well reasoned argument dealing with the OSAS issue. Make sure to read the links on the left also.

http://www.pfrs.org/osas/index.html

Comment

I will be answering this and all the other challenge versus soon in a long blog. PSB.

Comment

Working...
                              X