The Incarnation of Christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Incarnation of Christ

Pretty straightforward question really. What does the incarnation of Jesus Christ mean to you? It's commonly stated that Jesus was both fully God and fully man. How do you define that? It's apparent from scripture that Jesus was divine. It's also clear that He came in the likeness of sinful flesh. So, how could this "fully God and fully man" doctrine be clearly explained?
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Re: The Incarnation of Christ

I'll give my 2 cents here.

Jesus, being fully God, put on a "flesh" suit. He never stopped being fully God. But he restrained Himself to human limitations.
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
      I'll give my 2 cents here.

Jesus, being fully God, put on a "flesh" suit. He never stopped being fully God. But he restrained Himself to human limitations.

Thanks for your input. So, when you say that Jesus was "fully God" yet also acknowledge that His flesh had limitations, would you say that the flesh part of Him wasn't divine or would you say that the statement "Jesus is fully God" isn't taking into consideration the flesh part of Him?
      "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

I'd say He was definitely fully God. His flesh I'd have to say was not divine. The fact that He could bleed and ultimately die would lead me to believe that was due to His humanness. But I will say, I'm no theologian. Just giving my opinion.
        This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Yea, definitely difficult to put thoughts into words.

But in order for Him to die, He had to be fully human, human body.

But...to no longer be fully God, He would have been forced to stick it out, as opposed to sticking it out by choice, willingly giving Himself.

I think we just have to hold on to both truths, fully human, fully God...and go from there awaiting for God to reveal truth to us. Anything we come across that contradicts the truth He has already revealed, the Jesus was fully human and fully God, should be tossed out. Don't let our desire to comprehend get the best of us at the risk of loosing the truth we are presented in scripture, even if that truth is beyond our comprehension.

Hope that at least came out somewhat right...

sigpic

Comment

'God' is not a substance, but an identity. To say that Jesus is 'God' and 'man' is not to say that Jesus is comprised simultaneously of 'divine substance' and 'human substance'.

'God' is an identity, and treated synonymously in the New Testament with referring to 'Yahweh'.

'Jesus is God' means Jesus is being identified as Yahweh. If we put it in terms of 'substance', then his identity is Yahweh while his substance is man. God as man. As man Jesus was not all-knowing, all-powerful, etc., but his mind, his character, his whole person is Yahweh.

The Father is Yahweh transcendant: eternal, almighty, immortal, invisible, all-knowing, etc.
            The Son of God is Yahweh immanent: mortal, finite, tangible, limited, etc.
            To This Day

Comment

Colossians 2:9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily
              Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Comment

Adam wasnt created in the likeness of sinful flesh, but the image of God.
                Sinful flesh came later when he sinned and died.
                Jesus being fully God,was born of the Holy Spirit, not sinful flesh. He led a perfect life as a man, was murdered, and death couldnt hold him because he never sinned.
                The incarnation means eternal life for all who believe in Gods salvation.
                And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                  Thanks for your input. So, when you say that Jesus was "fully God" yet also acknowledge that His flesh had limitations, would you say that the flesh part of Him wasn't divine or would you say that the statement "Jesus is fully God" isn't taking into consideration the flesh part of Him?
                  I think about how "I have a body but I am soul". Jesus had a body but his body wasn't who he was. He took on flesh. But he wasn't flesh.

Heb 10:5
                  5 Therefore, when He comes into the world, He says,

"SACRIFICE AND OFFERING YOU HAVE NOT DESIRED,
                  BUT A BODY YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR ME;
                  NASU

A body was prepared for Jesus. But it didn't define him. It's the same for us.

Heb 2:9

9 But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone.
                  NASU

IMO, he took on a body, and experienced everything man experiences with the same temptations, limitations, etc. that man has. In this way, he was a man. But he never ceased being God. Who he was never changed. The "form" he was in did change.

This doesn't do it justice, but it's a start.
                  Matt 9:13
                  13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                  NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                    I think about how "I have a body but I am soul". Jesus had a body but his body wasn't who he was. He took on flesh. But he wasn't flesh.

Heb 10:5
                    5 Therefore, when He comes into the world, He says,

"SACRIFICE AND OFFERING YOU HAVE NOT DESIRED,
                    BUT A BODY YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR ME;
                    NASU

A body was prepared for Jesus. But it didn't define him. It's the same for us.
                    I heard it said once that our body isn't who we are...it is where we are; however, we are also seated at our Father's right hand in Christ...while simultaneously walking the earth. It is a bit much for 'pots' to grasp, eh?!

W
                    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
                      As man Jesus was not all-knowing, all-powerful, etc., but his mind, his character, his whole person is Yahweh.
                      No, he was all those things. He wasn't just a man, he was all knowing and all powerful but didn't flaunt those things.
                      James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

the Word made flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post
                          No, he was all those things. He wasn't just a man, he was all knowing and all powerful but didn't flaunt those things.
                          I didn't say he was 'just a man'. I said he is 'God as man'.
                          To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
                            I didn't say he was 'just a man'. I said he is 'God as man'.
                            This is what you said:

As man Jesus was not all-knowing, all-powerful, etc.
                            This statement isn't correct.
                            James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post

This statement isn't correct.

And why not? It sounds correct to me. Shouldn't you at least provide reasons why?

Comment

Working...
                              X