Denominational or Church Bible Version Preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denominational or Church Bible Version Preference

If your Church or Denomination have expressed a preference in the Bible version they use, do you use that preferred version or do you use a version that is your preference?

Our church uses the NIV predominately, but I have to come to trust and enjoy the KJV.

Our Pastor does not make an issue of whatever Bible version the congregation uses. On any given Sunday you will find the NIV, KJV, NKJV, NASB, or TNIV being used at our services.

Do you feel that you should use the version your church of denomination prefers to ease in corporate reading, or do you use your own preferred version?

* This is not a KJVO debate. If you prefer to use the KJV instead of what your church uses, fine. Let's not turn this into a KJVO battle.
    All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16

Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace;
    And your best days are never so good that you're beyond the need of God's grace.

Americans grew tired of being thought to be dumb by the rest of the world,
    so they went to the polls and removed all doubt.

That I've noticed, the pastors at my church don't have a specific preference. There's a noticeable set of translations that they use, but they don't seem to prefer one over the other. Translations I've noticed them use:

- KJV
    - NKJV
    - NASB
    - NIV
    - NLT

What I would assume they do is when preparing for their sermon, they go through the multiple translations, and pick the one where the verses they intend to read come across most clearly. Sometimes the NIV says something clearer than the KJV. And sometimes the NASB says something more clearly than the NIV.

I generally take my NIV with me when I go to church (I keep an NIV in my car, because I am quite forgetful and often leave my Bible at home on accident, so I snatch the one from my car on the way into the church).

They also use The Message on occasion, much to my personal dismay.
    To This Day

Comment

From bad experiences at services and bible study groups - i feel everyone attending should have a copy of the same bible in their hands.

I've been to services when i've tried to follow the reading in my own bible/s and can't because it is so different. Also bible groups where we have read round and the next person doesn't know which verse we are up to and everyones confused.

I'm not stating a preference for any particular translation - rather at group meeting, everyone needs the same - which needs to be decided by those running the group/ service.

This is seperate to personal study, where i think we should all find the one that speaks best to us personally - at the moment for me that's the Jerusalem bible, it use to be the NRSV and i've no doubt in future years it will change many times?

What is important in a group situation, with people of all levels - is the translation is in plain language that everyone understands. Love SofTy.
      1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

I'm pretty fond of the English Standard Version (ESV) for most of my studies, and for taking to class or in corporate worship, but I know of many churches where other versions are being used. Sometimes for comparative study I use the NLT, NIV, NASB, NKJV, and even the CJB (Complete Jewish Bible). But I see what others are saying....if I'm reading the NLT and they're reading the KJV it makes it hard to follow.
        "If we come to know only the Book and fail to come to know God through the Book, then we have failed...and God's purpose for the Book has been defeated."

Comment

I was looking at John 3:16 in the RNWB (Revised New Welsh Bible). It may be a hit at your next bible study.

Do, carodd Duw y byd gymaint nes iddo roi ei unig Fab, er mwyn i bob un sy'n credu ynddo ef beidio mynd i ddistryw ond cael bywyd tragwyddol.
          (Joh 3:16)

Actually, I agree with Servant of Truth thinking of the importance of unison reading and study. I think the New King James is a happy medium between versions both in readability and accuracy.
          ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

While I use multiple versions, I try to do my personal devotions out of the most literally accurate translation possible. I used to use the NASB, but I switched to the ESV because the sentence structure is a little smoother, and it is just as accurate.

My preference to use these more strict translations is based on the conviction that the inspiration of Scripture is in the words of the original documents. As such, I want a translation that relates the orignal word meanings as closely as possible into the language that I naturally speak. My major problem with the KJV line is not with their accuracy but with their failure to rely Scripture into my language (or the language of those I minister to.)

I also use the Aland 4th ed. and the Nestle-Aland 27th ed. greek texts. The NA27 is slightly better, for four times the price.

I don't think it is neccessary to use the same Bible that your church sponsors. Variety in translations sponsors more accuate understanding of the text. Also, chruches will commonly cater to the least common denominator. They might pick the NKJV so that no one will start a KJVO argument, or an NIV or an NLT so that it is easier for new Christians to understand. I don't think any of these are ideal for personal study, and only the NIV is decent for corporate service. I think the ESV and the TNIV are decent for corporate services, but the NASB should be saved for private study.
            "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I absolutely think that it should be up to personal preference as to what version a person uses. God speaks to everyone through language that they understand, and if a pastor required everyone to read out of a KJV every Sunday morning, the homeless guys off the street who don't understand half the words written wouldn't be reached near as well as if he was reading through the same verses out of an NLT.

Personally, I like the NLT for reading stories, and NIV + NASB for studying. I usually take a non-standard version to church just so I can have a different interpretation of the text on-hand compared to what is being read outloud. It helps me think of different ways of taking what is written and get all the good truths out of a given passage.

Comment

The NIV is what my church (Assemblies of God) normally uses, but there's no pressure at all to use it.

I've taken any of the following to church with me: ESV, HCSB, TNIV, NIV, NLT, NASB, NKJV, NRSV, NAB or The Message (in a NASB/Message parallel Bible). The one major translation I won't take is the KJV, which is just too archaic for my taste. I keep it for completeness of collection, and to compare with other translations, but that's all I use it for.
                Man's ego is inflated, his laws are outdated, they don't apply no more
                You can't rely no more to be standing around waiting
                In the home of the brave, Jefferson turning over in his grave
                Fools glorifying themselves, trying to manipulate Satan
                And there's a slow, slow train coming up around the bend.

Comment

Our pastor teaches primarily from KJV, but never says we should be KJV-only. He has pointed out that all translations have 'problems', seeing as they are just translations. Most are not heaven-or-hell issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Sold Out View Post
                    Our pastor teaches primarily from KJV, but never says we should be KJV-only. He has pointed out that all translations have 'problems', seeing as they are just translations. Most are not heaven-or-hell issues.
                    AMEN!!! That is the best explanation I have ever heard.
                    All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16

Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace;
                    And your best days are never so good that you're beyond the need of God's grace.

Americans grew tired of being thought to be dumb by the rest of the world,
                    so they went to the polls and removed all doubt.

Comment

Working...
                    X