• Show
Clear All

• Does a day _really_ start with an evening

Hi

It seems that most bible believers assume that a biblical
    day starts with an evening. This is obviously backed by
    today's jews' practice. However, reading the creation
    of the world account in genesis, I am inclined to believe
    that the day starts with the morning, not the evening.
    I interprete the phrase "God creates Y, then it is evening,
    then it is morning, day X" as the morning being the end
    of day X.

My question: Is my assumption a valid assumption, can
    it even be backed by some more evidence in scripture,
    or does it have to be completely dismissed (in which case
    I'd be interested to know why that is)

Regards,
    Rene

Try doing a study to see the difference in the places that a day is depicted as the morning coming first, vs. the evening coming first. It can be a most interesting study.

Whenever there are seeming anomalies the Bible such as this, there is often a spritual reason behind it. It takes prayerful study to find the answers.
    Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
    23 Guard your heart above all else,
    for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Hello RoadWarrior

My previous posting is basically the result of
      such a study with regards to days beginning
      in the morning vs them beginning in the evening,
      although, I have to admit, it was not an
      exhaustive study so far. But I felt the indications
      given are such that the day actually begins with
      the morning. Which confused me quite a bit because
      all that I have heard and read regarding this matter
      was in effect to say that the day starts with an
      evening. I don't think that truth is dependent
      on a majority stating it, but on the other hand,
      since I am seem to be alone with my opinion
      of a day starting in the morning, I wanted also
      to hear other opinions or insights here.

Comment

You are not alone, I discovered this several years ago as a new Christian, new to studying the Bible. I had a similar question. Keep going in your study.

Tell me what you find when you have finished.
        Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

As I understand it - the beginning and ending of a day is reckoned by this verse - regarding this particular Sabbath:
          (There are other Sabbaths in addition to the 7th day ones.)

"It is to be a sabbath of complete rest to you, and you shall humble your souls; on the ninth of the month at evening, from evening until evening you shall keep your sabbath."
          Lev 23:32 NASB

Comment

Richard

You make a good point here. I wasn't aware of that verse.

On the other hand, I based a bit of my thinking on
            numbers 11:32:
            he people spent all day and all night and all the next day, and gathered the quail (he who gathered least gathered ten homers) and they spread them out for themselves all around the camp.

Which leads me to a new theory: The dark periods (aka nights) of a day
            don't belong to a specific date, or, with other words, nights are not meant
            to be assigned to a date. (It's a theory in beta stage, so please bear with
            me).

On a completely unrelated note: is it possible in this forum to
            conveniently quote a portion of scripture. I didn't find any.

Regards,
            René

Comment

Try Biblegateway.com, you can copy scriptures from there and paste them in.

If you want to set them in a quote balloon like this:
              Jonah 2

"Out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
              And You heard my voice.
              3 For You cast me into the deep,
              Into the heart of the seas,
              And the floods surrounded me;
              All Your billows and Your waves passed over me.
              Then use the little white icon above (3rd from right). Highlight (select) the text, then click on the quote icon.
              Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

If you go back to the first chapter of Genesis, you will notice that the scripture says

Ge 1:5
                5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.
                NKJV

This is repeated through the story of creation. "The evening and the morning" so the precedence is established there, for counting the day as beginning at dusk. I really like that the day begins with the time of rest!
                Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

"Evening and morning" is used through scripture, until we get to this:

1 Sa 17:16
                  16 And the Philistine drew near and presented himself forty days,
                  morning and evening.
                  NKJV

and it continues until here:

Job 4:20-21
                  20 They are broken in pieces from morning till evening;
                  They perish forever, with no one regarding.
                  21 Does not their own excellence go away?
                  They die, even without wisdom.'
                  NKJV

In the Psalms, it returns to this:

Ps 55:16-18
                  6 As for me, I will call upon God,
                  And the Lord shall save me.
                  17 Evening and morning and at noon
                  I will pray, and cry aloud,
                  And He shall hear my voice.
                  18 He has redeemed my soul in peace from the battle that was against me,
                  For there were many against me.
                  NKJV

When we look for the patterns of repeated phrases, we can find the subtleties of God's Words to us.

The Jews have something really beautiful in the structure given to them by the Lord. That the day starts with rest is a major thing, when you think of it. There is a huge contrast between those who do things His way, and those who do it their own way.

The spiritual message I got from doing this study was that any projects or efforts which I undertake, should begin with rest and prayer (evening). When I am obedient to that pattern, then the work is easy, because the Lord is the one who carries the load. If I am not obedient to that pattern, I struggle and work hard to accomplish my tasks.

There are many, many verses which will echo the same theme. Here is a favorite:

Mt 11:28-30
                  28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
                  NKJV
                  Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by ZuriCH View Post
                    On a completely unrelated note: is it possible in this forum to
                    conveniently quote a portion of scripture. I didn't find any.
                    Hi René,
                    I think that's why the Hebrew "clock" begins and ends with sundown.
                    I suppose if they had gotten it wrong, Jesus would have corrected them. L.O.L.

By quoting...
                    Do you mean
                    putting it in a box?
                    or using copy/paste from e-Sword like this?

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
                    Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
                    Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
                    Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
                    Joh 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
                    Joh 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
                    Joh 1:7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
                    Joh 1:8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
                    Joh 1:9That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
                    Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
                    Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
                    Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
                    Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
                    Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

or with some editing in Outlook:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
                    The same was in the beginning with God.
                    All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
                    In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
                    And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
                    There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
                    The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
                    He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
                    That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
                    He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
                    He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
                    But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
                    Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
                    And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
                    John 1:1-14

Comment

Originally posted by RoadWarrior View Post
                      Wow. Thanks for pointing out that pattern, RoadWarrior. I'm always learning new things in these threads.

Richard

Comment

The spiritual message I got from doing this study was that any projects or efforts which I undertake, should begin with rest and prayer (evening). When I am obedient to that pattern, then the work is easy, because the Lord is the one who carries the load. If I am not obedient to that pattern, I struggle and work hard to accomplish my tasks.
                        That makes so much more sense than starting out a day all fuzzy-brained, doesn't it?

God turning on a light switch in my soul right now, and I'm loving this, because it's solid truth. And an answer to prayer, believe it or not. It's the last piece of a puzzle I've been working on with God for a while now. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by DaniHansen View Post
                          That makes so much more sense than starting out a day all fuzzy-brained, doesn't it?

God turning on a light switch in my soul right now, and I'm loving this, because it's solid truth. And an answer to prayer, believe it or not. It's the last piece of a puzzle I've been working on with God for a while now. Thank you.
                          You are welcome!

I love a quote by Einstein: "God is subtle, but He is not malicious."

To see the subtle things, we have to be patient and quiet.
                          Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by RoadWarrior View Post

1 Sa 17:16
                            16 And the Philistine drew near and presented himself forty days,
                            morning and evening.
                            NKJV

and it continues until here:

Job 4:20-21
                            20 They are broken in pieces from morning till evening;
                            They perish forever, with no one regarding.
                            21 Does not their own excellence go away?
                            They die, even without wisdom.'
                            NKJV

In the Psalms, it returns to this:

Ps 55:16-18
                            6 As for me, I will call upon God,
                            And the Lord shall save me.
                            17 Evening and morning and at noon
                            I will pray, and cry aloud,
                            And He shall hear my voice.
                            18 He has redeemed my soul in peace from the battle that was against me,
                            For there were many against me.
                            NKJV

When we look for the patterns of repeated phrases, we can find the subtleties of God's Words to us.

The Jews have something really beautiful in the structure given to them by the Lord. That the day starts with rest is a major thing, when you think of it. There is a huge contrast between those who do things His way, and those who do it their own way.

There are many, many verses which will echo the same theme. Here is a favorite:

Mt 11:28-30
                            28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
                            NKJV
                            All I knew was it says about the evening and the morning being the first day!
                            I like the results of your study!
                            I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

By quoting...
                              Do you mean
                              or using copy/paste from e-Sword like this?
                              Neither... I was thinking of something like being able to write
                              [bible gen 1:14]
                              and then it would insert automagically the text of Genesis 1, verse 14.

In the meantime, I have to read all the answers, I just came home ...

Thanks all
                              René

Comment

Working...
                              X