Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

    The ToM has many types and NT symbols. Just wanted to name a few that seem obvious. Please add a few types you see in the ToM that perhaps the Lord has shown you or that you may have been taught.

    The ToM furniture:

    1. Brazen Alter = The Cross
    2. Brazen Laver = Water Baptism
    3. Golden Candlestick = Holy Ghost Baptism
    4. Table of Shewbread = The Word
    5. Alter of Incense = Worship and Prayer
    6. Golden Lid = Mercy Seat/Propitiation
    7. Ark of the Covenant = Presence and Government of God

    Sections:

    Outer Court = Born Again/Baptism in Water/Meet Jesus/Evangelical Realm
    Inner Court = Baptism in Spirit/Word of Faith/Worship/Intercessory Prayer/Meet the Holy Spirit/Peantecostal Realm
    Holy Place = Baptism in Fire/Maturity/Meet the Father/3rd Day and Kingdom Realm


    There are many other types, but just wanted to get the ball rolling if anyone out there has done any research on this wonderful picture. The Tabernacle is Jesus!

  • #2
    Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

    Rather than just listing them, could you explain how you're making these connections?
    To This Day

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

      Originally posted by markedward View Post
      Rather than just listing them, could you explain how you're making these connections?
      thought they were somewhat obvious, guess not. ok let me try to give some Scripture.

      The Outer Court:

      1. Brazen Altar - this was the place of sacrifice, it was the first thing you come to when you enter the Tabernacle. Jesus of course is our sacrifice and His cross is the first thing we come to in our ascent into Him. Christ is our passover Who is sacrificed for us (1 Cor. 5:7).

      2. Brazen Laver - this is where the priests washed themselves before entering the inner court. The washing by water points to our baptism in water immediately following conversion (Acts 2:38) There is also the washing of water by the word (Eph. 5:26); and the washing of regeneration (Titus 3:5 and other verses).

      These two items are in the outer court. The outer court was for all of Israel. Everyone must come through the altar/cross to be saved. This is where we are introduced to Jesus as Savior. This is why I stated this was the Born Again/Water Baptism realm which is emphasized by Evangelicals primarily, to the exclusion many times, to the other aspects of our continued growth in grace. This is a huge area, that's why there are so many more Evangelical Christians than Pentecostals. While all Pentecostals are Evangelical, not all Evangelicals are Pentecostals. Only the priests were allowed into the inner court.

      The Inner Court:

      3. Golden Candlestick - in this we see oil, an often type of the Holy Ghost and anointing. We also see light (fire) and life (almond tree) which are further descriptions of Christ (anointed one). I am the light of the world (Jn. 8:12); I am the life (Jn. 11:25; 14:6). In the Candlestick we are introduced to the Holy Spirit Baptism. This is the Pentecostal Realm.

      4. Table of Shewbread - bread throughout Scripture often represents Word of God (Mt. 4:4; Lk. 4:4). This is the Word of Faith realm. In this realm the Word of God is alive to those who use the Holy Spirit to help hear what God is saying presently/prophetically today through the written Word. This of course has had abuses since some in the Pentecostal realm rely solely on the Spirit and have no grounding in solid doctrine. We need both Spirit and Truth to rightly divide the bread.

      5. Altar of Incense - represents praise, worship, prayer, intercession. These are all ascending up to God, like the smoke from this altar which is a sweet smelling savor to God. (Heb. 13:15). An interesting point, the writer of Hebrews moves this piece of furniture into the Holy Place (Most Holy Place). Perhaps this is the Tabernacle of David restored of Amos 9:11 in fullness; the restoration of praise, worship and prayer to like that of David which included: 1. Mouth: shout; sing; pray; 2. Hands: clap; raise; play instruments; 3. Body: dance; bow; kneel.

      Holy Place:

      6. Golden Lid - this was called the mercy seat in the OT. In the NT we call it the "propitiation" but it literally means the mercy seat (Rom. 3:25; 1 Jn. 2:2; 4:10). This is where we meet the Father, God the Judge of all (Heb. 12:23).

      7. Ark of the Covenant - was the presence and government of God in the OT. Only the High Priest can enter this area. But since Christ is not only our High Priest, He also became a forerunner of many sons to follow Him into this once forbidden area (Heb. 6:20). Now we can come boldly through the rent veil, which is His flesh (Heb. 10:19-22), into the very presence and government of God the Father.

      There are a bunch of other types in these items, however, I hate having to read long posts, so I will not make this a dissertation in respect to those who want to read it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

        Another way to look at the Tabernacle is through Church history. There is an interesting progression as God has been restoring the years (Joel 2:25)

        1. Brazen Altar - Justification (Martin Luther - 1517)

        2. Laver - Water Baptism (Anabaptists - 1525)
        Sanctification (Wesley - 1738)
        Divine Healing (A.B. Simpson -1875)

        3. Door of the Inner Court - Holy Ghost Baptism (Charles Parham -1900; Azuza Street - 1906)

        4. Candlestick - Deliverance and Gifts of the Spirit (1940's)

        5. Shewbread - Five-fold Ministry of Eph. 4:11; Laying on of hands; Body of Christ; (Latter Rain Revival 1947-49)

        6. Altar of Incense - Restoration of the Tabernacle of David - Praise and Worship music and intercessory prayer (1950's)

        7. Veil - Access to the Fullness of His Glory by the Melchisedek Priesthood (late 1960's)

        8. Ark of the Covenant - Full Maturity; Adoption; Divine Life; Restoration of Apostles and Prophets (1970's to present).

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

          LV, have you seen how these 7 furnishings of the tabernacle relate to the 7 feasts, or the 7 patrairchs, or the 7 days of creation? Or the seven millenia, or the 7 letters to the churches? They are all tied together and speak the same things. A pattern seen throughout the scripture. What you have shown above is seen in each of them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

            Can the outer court also be typical of our bodies, the inner court typical of our souls (mind, will, feelings), and the holy place typical of our spirits?

            W
            Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

              Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
              LV, have you seen how these 7 furnishings of the tabernacle relate to the 7 feasts, or the 7 patrairchs, or the 7 days of creation? Or the seven millenia, or the 7 letters to the churches? They are all tied together and speak the same things. A pattern seen throughout the scripture. What you have shown above is seen in each of them.
              Yes that was what I was looking for. I have heard some of these things but I have not seen them written out. I have however seen the pattern of the 3 major feasts in the tabernacle of Moses. Here are just a few examples:

              Outer Court---------------------Holy Place-----------------Most Holy Place
              Passover...............................Pentecost.. .....................Tabernacles
              Born of the Spirit...................Baptized in Spirit.............Fullness of the Spirit
              Common Salvation.................Great Salvation................Eternal Salvation
              1st Day.................................2nd Day..........................3rd Day
              Jesus....................................Christ... ...........................Lord
              Foolish Virgins.......................Wise Virgins....................Watchmen
              30-fold.................................60-fold...........................100-fold
              Born Again............................Spirit-filled......................Mature
              Gate.....................................Door..... ..........................Veil
              Baptism in Water...................B. in Holy Ghost................Baptism in Fire
              Firstfruits of S.....................Earnest of the S.................Fullness of the Spirit
              Been Delivered.....................Being Delivered.................Shall be Delivered
              Divine Healing......................Divine Health.....................Divine Life
              Natural Light (Sun)...............Artificial (Lamps)................Divine Light (Shekinah)
              Walk...................................Run........ ...........................Mount Up (fly)
              Love....................................Faith..... ............................Hope
              Milk of the Word...................Bread of Word.....................Meat of Word
              Way....................................Truth...... ...........................Life
              All Israel..............................Priests....... ........................High Priest
              Edification............................Exortation. .........................Comfort
              Righteousness.......................Peace......... .......................Joy
              Myrrh...................................Frankinsce nse.....................Gold
              Seek.....................................Knock.... ............................Ask
              Brass....................................Silver... .............................Gold
              Thanksgiving.........................Praise....... ..........................Worship
              1st Anointiong.......................2nd Anointing......................3rd Anointing of David
              1st Sealing (Water)................2nd Sealing (Spirit)..............3rd Sealing (Mind of Christ)
              Body....................................Soul...... .............................Spirit
              Spirit (saved)........................Soul (being saved)...............Body (shall be saved)
              Kingdom...............................Power....... ..........................Glory
              Altar (swear by)....................Temple (swear by)................(swear by) Heaven
              1 Talent................................2 Talents.............................5 Talents
              "Not My Will" (1st)................"Not My Will" (2nd)..............."Not My Will" (3rd)
              Name of the Son.....................Name of the Holy Ghost........Name of the Father

              These are just a few sets of 3's you can find in the pattern of the Tabernacle. There are a lot more, but that would require referencing many differing parts of the Word and putting them together. Mostly all of these listed can be found within the same verse or context of verses. If you need me to, I can provide the specific verses showing these sets of 3's. But most of them are obvious references.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

                Originally posted by Watchman View Post
                Can the outer court also be typical of our bodies, the inner court typical of our souls (mind, will, feelings), and the holy place typical of our spirits?

                W
                Yes I listed that in both orders: as in the whole sanctification of our Body, Soul and Spirit (1 Thess. 5:23). Or in reverse: our Spirit has been Delivered/Saved; our Soul/emotions/feelings/will is in the process of being Delivered/Saved/Renewed; and our Bodies shall be Delivered/Saved/Changed at His Coming (2 Cor. 1:10).

                There are so many of these patterns of 3-fold applications in the Word if you look closely. That's why I like your name "Watchman" because it corresponds to that 3rd realm, since both the foolish virgins (no oil/no Holy Spirit Baptism) and the wise virgins (with oil/Holy Spirit) were still asleep at the Bridegroom's coming; but the Watchman never sleeps.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

                  Using some imagination, anything in the bible can be tied to Jesus. Whether the Author put such things there in the first place is another matter.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

                    Originally posted by Fenris View Post
                    Using some imagination, anything in the bible can be tied to Jesus. Whether the Author put such things there in the first place is another matter.
                    You raise a good point Fenris, that of seeking to see something within or seeing that something within is there.... I see more of the later being a christian, but would love to see it through Jewish eyes as well, if I could. Any good reference books on the Tabernacle that is written by a Jewish Rabbi or scholar that is in English and not Hebrew that you could share the title and author? I'm currently reading Rose's Book on the Tabernacle and it's showing the christian comparative, which I appreciate, but it lacks the depth that I know was there that God required and I want to get a sense of how disciplined it must have been to not only comply with the 613 laws, but also to offer daily sacrifices along with weekly, monthly and feast days.

                    Thanks....
                    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
                    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
                    ... there are few who find it."


                    -----------------------------------------------

                    * All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

                    The New American Standard Bible®,
                    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
                    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
                    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

                    Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

                      Originally posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
                      You raise a good point Fenris, that of seeking to see something within or seeing that something within is there.... I see more of the later being a christian, but would love to see it through Jewish eyes as well, if I could. Any good reference books on the Tabernacle that is written by a Jewish Rabbi or scholar that is in English and not Hebrew that you could share the title and author?
                      Hmm I cannot think of any offhand. It is an interesting subject of study although it has no practical significance for Jews at this time.

                      There are mystical societies in Jerusalem today that study the subject and train Cohen-priests for the time when the temple will be rebuilt.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

                        Originally posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
                        The ToM has many types and NT symbols. Just wanted to name a few that seem obvious. Please add a few types you see in the ToM that perhaps the Lord has shown you or that you may have been taught.

                        The ToM furniture:

                        1. Brazen Alter = The Cross
                        2. Brazen Laver = Water Baptism
                        3. Golden Candlestick = Holy Ghost Baptism
                        4. Table of Shewbread = The Word
                        5. Alter of Incense = Worship and Prayer
                        6. Golden Lid = Mercy Seat/Propitiation
                        7. Ark of the Covenant = Presence and Government of God

                        Sections:

                        Outer Court = Born Again/Baptism in Water/Meet Jesus/Evangelical Realm
                        Inner Court = Baptism in Spirit/Word of Faith/Worship/Intercessory Prayer/Meet the Holy Spirit/Peantecostal Realm
                        Holy Place = Baptism in Fire/Maturity/Meet the Father/3rd Day and Kingdom Realm


                        There are many other types, but just wanted to get the ball rolling if anyone out there has done any research on this wonderful picture. The Tabernacle is Jesus!
                        Greetings LV. I had subscribed to this thread because I was interested in what may have been shared.

                        Would you mind taking the time to provide a little information on each of the items you mentioned. For instance, why do you think the brazen altar is the cross? What verses helped you reach that conclusion?

                        I would be interested in seeing you develop each one of these items if you are interested.

                        Thanks!

                        Mark
                        Matt 9:13
                        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                        NASU

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

                          Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                          Greetings LV. I had subscribed to this thread because I was interested in what may have been shared.

                          Would you mind taking the time to provide a little information on each of the items you mentioned. For instance, why do you think the brazen altar is the cross? What verses helped you reach that conclusion?

                          I would be interested in seeing you develop each one of these items if you are interested.

                          Thanks!

                          Mark
                          Thanks for your interest. I will list a few of the ways I see the brazen altar as the cross and a couple other truths in the brazen altar. I would also love some input from you and any one else that sees some types I may have overlooked. I love adding to these types (and pretending I thought of them first ). (I think you mentioned Pink in one of your posts, his use of types is phenomenal, even for a Calvinist, jk )

                          1. Brazen altar as the Cross of our Savior and Sin-bearer, Jesus Christ. There are actually TWO crosses seen in the Brazen Altar that puts us to death: His and ours. (there are so many verses speaking of the cross as making atonement for sin that I don't feel the need to list each individually)
                          (a) Matt. 16:24; Mark 8:34; 10:21; Luke 9:23 encourages us to take up our own cross daily.
                          (b) Gal. 2:20 basically tells us that when He was crucified, we were with Him. His death became our death.
                          (c) Rom. 12:1 we are encouraged to be living sacrifices, holy and acceptable unto God, which is called our reasonable service (just like a holy and acceptable offering was expected of the sacrifice upon the Brazen Altar)

                          2. There is only ONE WAY of approach to God. There was only ONE altar for the entire nation, and it was the ONLY place of sacrifice where SIN was dealt with.
                          (a) Lev. 17:1-9 whoever does not use this ONE and ONLY place of sacrifice is cut off from Israel.
                          (b) John 14:6 ONLY WAY through Jesus (entrance to the Tabernacle).
                          (c) Acts 4:12 ONLY NAME by which we are saved
                          (d) Heb. 10:19-22 ONLY by the Blood of Jesus can we enter into the tabernacle.

                          3. We see the doctrines of PROPITIATION or SATISFACTION, and of JUSTIFICATION BY FAITH at the Brazen Altar.
                          (a) Rom. 3:25 PROPITIATION through faith in His Blood
                          (b) Rom. 5:1 We have peace with God through the sacrifice
                          (c) Gal. 2:16; Rom. 1:17; Gal. 3:11; Heb. 10:38 Justification by faith in Jesus Christ

                          4. The Brazen Altar also reveals the Feast of Passover wherein Jesus is seen as the Lamb of God.
                          (a) Jn. 1:29 John the Baptist clearly identifies Jesus as the Passover Lamb that takes away the sin of the world.
                          (b) Acts 8:32 Jesus is pictured as a sheep going to the slaughter.
                          (c) 1 Cor. 5:7 Jesus is called "our Passover."
                          (d) 1 Pet. 1:18-19 He is called a Lamb without blemish and without spot, the same as was used in the Feast of Passover.
                          (e.) Rev. 13:8 Jesus is seen as the Slain Lamb.

                          5. The doctrine of DIVINE HEALING (both from sin, sickness and disease) as part of His atonement is seen in the Brazen Altar.
                          (a) 1 Pet. 2:24 "Who His own self bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness, by whose stripes we were healed."

                          In short, Jesus' Cross is not only pictured in the Brazen Altar, but Jesus Himself is the Brazen Altar. Jesus is the tabernacle, as well as all its furniture and pieces.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

                            Originally posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
                            Thanks for your interest. I will list a few of the ways I see the brazen altar as the cross and a couple other truths in the brazen altar. I would also love some input from you and any one else that sees some types I may have overlooked. I love adding to these types (and pretending I thought of them first ). (I think you mentioned Pink in one of your posts, his use of types is phenomenal, even for a Calvinist, jk )
                            I am going to have to read through some of this and digest it. Can you give me an overview of what the brazen altar is and how it was used within the tabernacle? Now I need to go read up on it before going into the NT verses.

                            One thing I LOVE about the OT, it will illustrate for us a NT principle. So once we see the picture, then we can understand what the NT is trying to say. BTW, I am looking forward to studying the part about the washings/baptisms too.
                            Matt 9:13
                            13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                            NASU

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Tabernacle of Moses Symbols and Types

                              Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                              I am going to have to read through some of this and digest it. Can you give me an overview of what the brazen altar is and how it was used within the tabernacle? Now I need to go read up on it before going into the NT verses.
                              It's hard to do this because I don't know what you don't know and need to know, hehe. The brazen altar was basically a large square box (think of a huge barbeque pit) with a grate about half way up from the bottom. From what I have read its dimensions make it large enough so that all the other pieces of furniture could fit in it, thus showing us another picture of Christ and how IN HIM is the fullness, are all the promises, all things consist, etc. (Col. 1:17-20; 2:9; 2 Cor. 1:20)

                              Its made of wood, again picturing the cross. Layered in bronze/brass which in Scripture often marks judgment, its the place where sin was judged. Its the first piece of furniture one sees as one comes into the tabernacle, and its an unpleasant bloody altar, nothing to look at, like I imagine Our Lord Jesus seemed when He hung for our trangressions on that bloody tree (think Passion of the Christ).

                              The wood used is "****tim" or "acacia". Its interesting that the root of the word means "to pierce, to flog or scourge; a goad." Jesus was beaten before He was pierced by the thorns on His head and then the nails through His hands and feet. ****tim in the Septuagint (Greek OT) is translated "INCORRUPTIBLE" wood. His Cross, THE TREE OF DEATH, is INCORRUTIBLE, as well as the TREE OF LIFE that died on the tree of death is INCORRUPTIBLE.

                              There were four horns on the Altar. If you remember the picture of the fugitives running and holding the horns of the Altar and receiving mercy until the High Priest dies. Since we have a High Priest after the order of Melchisadec, with the power of an endless life, He is our priest forever and His mercy endures forever.

                              I can't think of anything else at the moment. However, if you look up a diagram of the Tabernacle of Moses and get aquainted with the positioning of the furniture you can see some pictures there too. For instance if you stand the Tabernacle on its end, you will see the Cross. When God looked down from heaven He not only saw the Cross in the Tabernacle setting, the the tribes were also set up in formation around the tabernacle as a cross. The bronze feet of Jesus being the Bronze Altar, the Table and Candlestick being His hands, the Altar of Incense being His heart, and the Ark of the Covenant (made of Gold) being His head. (think Jesus in Revelation/Daniel/Isaiah/Ezekiel).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X