Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bible Translations Poll and Discussion

Originally posted by Jollyrogers View Post
    I tend to use the ESV more in the last year. Before that it was the NASB. Have a NIV & NKJV and of course E-sword

You seem to be fascinated with the different versions, have you tried the free computer program E-Sword? It is free to install and has many free translations in English along with some other languages. As long as that version is out of copyright, it should be free. It would be a way to browse and compare them.

http://www.e-sword.net/
    How long does a copyright last? Is the NASB still copyrighted? Do you know what versions may be available?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Comment

I use the NIV. Its contemporary wording is much easier for me to understand. It's also the version my first church used. My main Bible is an NIV study Bible. There is, however, a website out there that I frequent (www.biblos.com for those interested) that offers the Bible in tons of different translations, as well as showing the verses in their original language, with definitions for those words. Very nerdy, very fascinating.
      Dext3r Ministries, my ministry blog.

Epic God is epic!

You are the Lord, our God. May I live by faith for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Youssarian View Post
        I use the NIV. Its contemporary wording is much easier for me to understand. It's also the version my first church used. My main Bible is an NIV study Bible. There is, however, a website out there that I frequent (www.biblos.com for those interested) that offers the Bible in tons of different translations, as well as showing the verses in their original language, with definitions for those words. Very nerdy, very fascinating.
        I use that site: it is very good. And "nerdy".
        "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
        "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
        Rich Mullins

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

Comment

I read the NKJV and became a Christian.

I go between the KJV and the NKJV now. I mostly quote the NKJV when posting.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Comment

In my personal study and reading I use the ESV. For my daughter's memorization we use the NKJV. Our church uses the NASB. And I love the KJV. My goal is to learn to read the bible in the original Hebrew. Then maybe someday on to Greek!
            In Christ,
            Katie

Romans 15:13 ~ May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

Comment

I believe copyright in the U.S. is 50 years after the authors death. The ASV is out of copyright however the NASV is still in copyright. You can get it with E-Sword but I think it cost 20 dollars.
              ὁ ̓Ιησοῦς κύριος

Comment

Originally posted by Jollyrogers View Post
                I tend to use the ESV more in the last year. Before that it was the NASB. Have a NIV & NKJV and of course E-sword

You seem to be fascinated with the different versions, have you tried the free computer program E-Sword? It is free to install and has many free translations in English along with some other languages. As long as that version is out of copyright, it should be free. It would be a way to browse and compare them.

http://www.e-sword.net/
                Thanks for the tip - yes, I am fascinated with it. I'll check out that software.

Comment

I don't quite get how people can claim copyright on the Bible. Yes, they did put in effort to make a translation and whatnot but I mean, it's the words of God, not man. Trying to say "this is my handiwork" and profit off of it doesn't register with me... you didn't create anything, you just put it in a different language.
                  Dext3r Ministries, my ministry blog.

Epic God is epic!

You are the Lord, our God. May I live by faith for you.

Comment

What's with the lack of the ESV?

My wife and I both adore the NLT and I personally am enjoying the ESV Study Bible.

Comment

I chose other, due to reading the 1955 Afrikaans Bible, which is my fisrt language.
                      Saved by Grace!

Praying for Mieke and Charles
                      Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation ; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

My testimony
                      http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=149096

Comment

Originally posted by MercyChild View Post
                        I chose other, due to reading the 1955 Afrikaans Bible, which is my fisrt language.
                        Do you sometimes read the Bible in English or do you always prefer to read it in Afrikaans? I never quite understand what the situation is like for Afrikaans speakers, but those that I have met can speak very good English and obviously you are more or less bilingual too.

I am also bilingual and I realised that there is so much more variation available in terms of Bibles in English - it's actually worth it to read the Bible in English because you can choose just the flavour you prefer! In my native tongue there are two versions available, one (the latest) is dodgy scriptually, the other is ancient and has old fashioned grammar.
                        There is a certain beauty in the King James version even if it's not an easy read...

Originally posted by Youssarian View Post
                        I don't quite get how people can claim copyright on the Bible. Yes, they did put in effort to make a translation and whatnot but I mean, it's the words of God, not man. Trying to say "this is my handiwork" and profit off of it doesn't register with me... you didn't create anything, you just put it in a different language.
                        I have some electronic copies that I got on torrent sites. What would Jesus say.....?
                        I hate copyright and I agree that copyrighting a bible version seems wrong.
                        I suppose if a certain publisher puts a lot of money into organising comments, illustration or some extra content, then perhaps it's not quite right to "share" it online... but on the other hand - who would deny a fellow human being the Word of God...?

Comment

Here's a link to the reasoning behind copyrighting Bible versions.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannah View Post
                            • Which English language translation do you use most frequently, and why?

• Do you have any other translations that you use occassionally or do you stick with one version only?

• Do you read the Bible in some other language - which one?

• Vote for your favourite Bible Translation...!

For some reason I find this incredibly fascinating having grown up in a country where all bibles look the same and really only one translation existed. When I lived in London I was blown away when I went in to a Christian bookshop and realised that buying a bible in English was not a matter of just grabbing the standard issue from the shelf and paying. Being a real geek I have read about this online and came across the slightly bewildering "KJV only" debate which seems to be a hot potato.

As for my own purchase, I finally bought an American bible called the New Living Translation - that had tons of interesting comments. This bible reads like a book of fiction, practically. It is no effort whatsoever reading it and I feel it really brings the bible to life for me.
                            NKJV.............

Comment

Our pastor uses the NKJV, so we have one of those, along with regular KJV's too.

I use an Everyday Bible (from Guideposts, my mil gave it to me) for church, and the Good News Bible for home study.
                              (but it's a soft cover, and almost falling apart, but I love it) We also have an NIV study Bible that Dh got as a Baptism gift that I'm enjoying getting into.

Comment

Ole King James only. The reason for this is that the newer translations seem to all follow a certain denominational slant in their translations. That being said you will the word easter in the ole king James. Everywhere else that you find the same greek word it is translated passover. The conspiracy started a while ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X