Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Old Testament book or part and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Old Testament book or part and why?

So what is your favorite OT book or which is a favorite part (person, situation, miracle etc) from the OT and... why?
    --
    Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Re: Favorite Old Testament book or part and why?

Hands down....Psalms!

Because it reveals how God's deal with us.
    Last edited by shepherdsword; Feb 23rd 2012, 11:36 PM.
    Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

Comment

Originally posted by shepherdsword View Post
      Hands down....Psalms!
      x2! David gives us glimpses into his heart and shows what a living relationship with God looks like...even when it's messy!

W

PS: Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, and Genesis follow closely behind the Psalms!
      Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Comment

Hmm I'm thinking Deuteronomy is my favorite book.

My favorite character is Abraham. The first Jew, and a really revolutionary guy.

Comment

Can we list more than one?

I really enjoy anything to do with Joshua including the book of Joshua. I also like both the book and the character Daniel,

Characters: Joseph, Ruth, Samuel, David, Esther and Noah

Books: Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Genesis, Daniel, Ruth

Very hard to choose. I really like the bible
          "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make your paths straight.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous; But Jehovah delivereth him out of them all.

"Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good"

Comment

Daniel and Ruth

Comment

Genesis

Exodus

Job

Psalms

1 & 2 Kings

My favorite OT books.
              "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
              "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
              Rich Mullins

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

Comment

My absolute favorite OT book is Isaiah, and he is also my favorite character.

Isaiah understood God and His will so well, and he loved and obeyed God. He also loved the children of Israel, and continually attempted to make them aware of their sins so that they could repent and return to God.

My second most favorite character is Enoch, because he walked with God.

Hey, come to think of it, I love anyone and everyone who walks with God .
                Jeremiah 29:11
                "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB)

Comment

Ya know, honestly, I've never given that much thought. I know that when I'm starving and need some serious God time, I turn to the Psalms as they often speak what my heart is crying out, when I cannot put it into words myself. I also thoroughly enjoy Genesis, because it really gives so much understanding about the whos, whats, hows and whys. But there is one story in 2 Samuel (I think) that I vaguely remember. It was a story about David and a decision he made for someone who is not rich and powerful. I don't remember much more than that other than to say that in the decision and humility that David showed, it really gave me a glimpse into the heart of our God and how He is toward us, I could see Jesus in this story. I finally understood why they called Jesus the "Son of David". Like Father Like Son as the saying goes.
                  Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

Proverbs 1st,
                    Ecclesiastes 2nd,
                    All of the books of John 3rd,
                    Jude 4th,
                    Amos 5th.

Sorry, I cannot even explain why to myself, they just are.
                    And in that order too.

Comment

Like others there are so many, but my favourite is Genesis.

"In the beginning God"

I think Genesis and Revelation are probably the most satanically attacked books of the bible.

Comment

Favorite book is Ecclesiastes.
                        Favorite character..... tough one.... Samuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
                          Hmm I'm thinking Deuteronomy is my favorite book.

My favorite character is Abraham. The first Jew, and a really revolutionary guy.
                          How can Abraham be the first Jew, when Judah wasnt even born yet?

It was Daniel....then Isiah semed more impressive....etc etc.I love the word of God and im glad they are all together.
                          And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

Originally posted by jeffweeder View Post
                            How can Abraham be the first Jew, when Judah wasn't even born yet?
                            lol, true. Even Jacob wasn't a Jew/Israelite only his sons made up what we know as the tribes of Israel.

My Fav. book is Job.
                            James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post

My Fav. book is Job.
                              Yes...i can see how this can be a fav. I can make a pretty good case for all of these OT books..
                              Each one has a place of honour, simply because the Word of God is in all.
                              And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

Working...
                              X