Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temple dedication

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Temple dedication

    Has anyone here every done a study to better understand what this would look like? I mean, that is a LOT of livestock to be brought and slaughtered and a LOT of carcasses and blood afterwards. Isn't the temple inside the city? Isn't that a LOT of livestock to walking into the city at one time? These numbers seem baffling to me...

    The Dedication of the Temple


    62 Then the king and all Israel with him offered sacrifices before the LORD. 63 Solomon offered a sacrifice of fellowship offerings to the LORD: twenty-two thousand cattle and a hundred and twenty thousand sheep and goats. So the king and all the Israelites dedicated the temple of the LORD. 64 On that same day the king consecrated the middle part of the courtyard in front of the temple of the LORD, and there he offered burnt offerings, grain offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings, because the bronze altar that stood before the LORD was too small to hold the burnt offerings, the grain offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings.
    When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

  • #2
    Re: Temple dedication

    I have heard there were so many flies in Jerusalem because of the blood, but I have not studied this topic.
    Am I truly building on the rock?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Temple dedication

      Originally posted by keyzer soze View Post
      Has anyone here every done a study to better understand what this would look like? I mean, that is a LOT of livestock to be brought and slaughtered and a LOT of carcasses and blood afterwards. Isn't the temple inside the city? Isn't that a LOT of livestock to walking into the city at one time? These numbers seem baffling to me...

      The Dedication of the Temple


      62 Then the king and all Israel with him offered sacrifices before the LORD. 63 Solomon offered a sacrifice of fellowship offerings to the LORD: twenty-two thousand cattle and a hundred and twenty thousand sheep and goats. So the king and all the Israelites dedicated the temple of the LORD. 64 On that same day the king consecrated the middle part of the courtyard in front of the temple of the LORD, and there he offered burnt offerings, grain offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings, because the bronze altar that stood before the LORD was too small to hold the burnt offerings, the grain offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings.

      Much of it was burned and then much taken outside the city...I think


      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Temple dedication

        Wow, so they didn't try to salt all this and eat it? The mass of the carcasses would have been unbelievable. Without machinery, sanitation systems, electricity, conveyors, pumping, ventilation, etc... the inside of the temple had to be the worst smelling place around!
        When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Temple dedication

          Solomon's offering was a one time thing, so it's questionable whether there were this many sacrifices on a daily basis. That being said, many of the offerings could be eaten by the priests, so there was less waste than we might think.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Temple dedication

            Man! They must have been a bunch of very obese priests!
            My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

            "Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Temple dedication

              Originally posted by Diggindeeper View Post
              Man! They must have been a bunch of very obese priests!
              I imagine there were quite few priests, as the entire tribe of Levi were considered priests.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Temple dedication

                I am not suggesting that they did this many sacrifices regularly or anything like that, I am just trying to paint a mental picture of herding in 22,000 cattle and 120,000 sheep and goats to get slaughtered. That has to be a lot of blood. If the average animal has 3 gallons of blood in it, that is 426,000 gallons of blood!

                Then you have to remember that they have to get the carcasses out of there. The smell must have been unbelievable...
                When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Temple dedication

                  Originally posted by keyzer soze View Post
                  I am not suggesting that they did this many sacrifices regularly or anything like that, I am just trying to paint a mental picture of herding in 22,000 cattle and 120,000 sheep and goats to get slaughtered. That has to be a lot of blood. If the average animal has 3 gallons of blood in it, that is 426,000 gallons of blood!

                  Then you have to remember that they have to get the carcasses out of there. The smell must have been unbelievable...
                  When you think about it, wouldn't this be a pretty effective form of "discipline/motivation"? The majority of the sacrifices required that the person bringing them lay their hands on the animal's head while the process began. If I kne that I would have to do that everytime I fell short, and that I would have to be in an environment where this was happening frequently, I would hope that I would think twice before I committed whatever action would require the sacrifice.

                  The same thought can be used when thinking of Yeshua/Jesus. My unrighteousness begot His sacrifice. Do I really want to committ a sin that would require that kind of sacrifice?

                  Blessings,
                  AT

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Temple dedication

                    Originally posted by Diggindeeper View Post
                    Man! They must have been a bunch of very obese priests!
                    Not really. It's a high protein diet.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Temple dedication

                      But...all that red meat. They musta had lots of cases of gout....
                      My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

                      "Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Temple dedication

                        Originally posted by keyzer soze View Post
                        Has anyone here every done a study to better understand what this would look like? I mean, that is a LOT of livestock to be brought and slaughtered and a LOT of carcasses and blood afterwards. Isn't the temple inside the city? Isn't that a LOT of livestock to walking into the city at one time? These numbers seem baffling to me...

                        The Dedication of the Temple


                        62 Then the king and all Israel with him offered sacrifices before the LORD. 63 Solomon offered a sacrifice of fellowship offerings to the LORD: twenty-two thousand cattle and a hundred and twenty thousand sheep and goats. So the king and all the Israelites dedicated the temple of the LORD. 64 On that same day the king consecrated the middle part of the courtyard in front of the temple of the LORD, and there he offered burnt offerings, grain offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings, because the bronze altar that stood before the LORD was too small to hold the burnt offerings, the grain offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings.
                        Hi KS. I haven't read this story in a long time. I do have a question though. Does it say the sacrifices were killed or burnt? Maybe they were given away. Just asking. I haven't gone back and read it, but if they were all slaughtered, that is certainly a lot!
                        Matt 9:13
                        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                        NASU

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Temple dedication

                          Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                          Hi KS. I haven't read this story in a long time. I do have a question though. Does it say the sacrifices were killed or burnt? Maybe they were given away. Just asking. I haven't gone back and read it, but if they were all slaughtered, that is certainly a lot!
                          Per Leviticus 3 and 7, fellowship offerings were offered up in smoke, and given to the priest for food.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Temple dedication

                            Originally posted by Diggindeeper View Post
                            But...all that red meat. They musta had lots of cases of gout....
                            I don't think they ate a lot of meat all of the time. And I believe kidney disease can sometimes play a role in the formation of gout.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Temple dedication

                              Originally posted by AlephTav View Post
                              Per Leviticus 3 and 7, fellowship offerings were offered up in smoke, and given to the priest for food.
                              Brother Mark, just as AlephTrav states here, fellowship offerings were killed and eaten, etc... Plus they were to be "without blemish" which means these were the finest in the flocks! Amazing amount of animals, this had to be both a site to see and quite a stench!

                              1 “‘If your offering is a fellowship offering, and you offer an animal from the herd, whether male or female, you are to present before the LORD an animal without defect. 2 You are to lay your hand on the head of your offering and slaughter it at the entrance to the tent of meeting. Then Aaron’s sons the priests shall splash the blood against the sides of the altar. 3 From the fellowship offering you are to bring a food offering to the LORD: the internal organs and all the fat that is connected to them, 4 both kidneys with the fat on them near the loins, and the long lobe of the liver, which you will remove with the kidneys. 5 Then Aaron’s sons are to burn it on the altar on top of the burnt offering that is lying on the burning wood; it is a food offering, an aroma pleasing to the LORD.
                              When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X