Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the 'many' first, that will be last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the 'many' first, that will be last?

Subject: Who then can be saved?

Jesus does not say that 'all' the first shall be last, but 'many' of the first

Matt 19:25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

Matt 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Matt 19:27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
    Matt 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Mtat 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

Matt 19:30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

Matt 20:1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is a householder, which went out early in the morning to hire laborers into his vineyard.
    Matt 20:2 And when he had agreed with the laborers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.
    Matt 20:3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,
    Matt 20:4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.
    Matt 20:5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.
    Matt 20:6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?
    Matt 20:7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

Matt 20:8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the laborers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.
    Matt 20:9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.
    Matt 20:10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.
    Matt 20:11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,
    Matt 20:12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.
    Matt 20:13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?
    Matt 20:14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.
    Matt 20:15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

Matt 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Originally posted by Partaker of Christ View Post
    Matt 20:2 And when he had agreed with the laborers for a penny a day,
    Matt 20:9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.
    Matt 20:10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.
    Matt 20:11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,
    Matt 20:12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.
    Matt 20:13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?
    Matt 20:14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.
    I think I get it.

Those who do His business many years receive reward just as do those who are new in the Lord.
    There is no seniority, because we all deserve hell apart from His grace.

Comment

I guess someone would say "no fair, that thief just repented...."
      Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Hi Partaker,

It reminds me of the time when there was the problem of who would be the greatest:

At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?Matt. 18:1.

And then Jesus gives the anwered:

Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.

Go well

Stay healthy

"Think white and get serious"

sigpic

Comment

I think Jesus was here dealing with us comparing one another instead of just focusing on our "own contract" with God and making sure we do our job well, regardless.

Comparison breeds envy and jealousy and covetousness and discontent and strife and a host of other woes.

Jesus told Peter it wasn't any of Peter's business what John was called to do. He simply said "You follow me." Another person's calling is none of our business. How God deals with another person, also isn't any of our business. Because we do not see what God sees, and we do not know what God knows. And other people do not belong to us; they belong to God.

John 21
          21 Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”
          22 Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”
          23 Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”

Comment

The lowest man on the totem pole: the last one in his own heart; the one who sincerely desires to be with God even if he must sit at the very bottom of the heap. And when He comes to God, every time that he comes to God, he always sits at the very lowest place.

"And he put forth a parable to those which were bidden, when he marked how they chose out the chief rooms; saying unto them,
            When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;
            And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.
            But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
            For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Luke 14:7-11

Comment

Jesus is describing a startling reversal of positions (20:16, 19:30). In the parable the vineyard is the life God gives us in the world. The day is the time of laboring, the here and now. The laborers are those He calls to fulfill His commandments. Early in the morning and the third, sixth, ninth,and eleventh hours refer to the different ages of those who draw near to God. those who from earliest youth, from mature age, or from very old age hold to virtue.

God's generosity provides equal access to and enjoyment of rewards in the life of the Kingdom for both early and late comers. Jesus teaches the former they should neither be proud of their long service, nor question those called to the eleventh hour, lest they themselves lose all.

To the latter, He teaches it is possible even in a short time to recover everything. In Jesus' ministry this parable applies to the Pharisees and sinners, while in the early church it applies to Jews and Gentiles.

Comment

Originally posted by Partaker of Christ View Post
                Subject: Who then can be saved?

Jesus does not say that 'all' the first shall be last, but 'many' of the first

Matt 19:25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

Matt 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Matt 19:27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
                Matt 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Mtat 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

Matt 19:30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

Matt 20:1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is a householder, which went out early in the morning to hire laborers into his vineyard.
                Matt 20:2 And when he had agreed with the laborers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.
                Matt 20:3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,
                Matt 20:4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.
                Matt 20:5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.
                Matt 20:6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?
                Matt 20:7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

Matt 20:8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the laborers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.
                Matt 20:15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

Matt 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.
                If you look at this closely you should see that the last shall be first and the first last because there is no difference between being the first or the last. They all receive the same reward. In the case of the parable from Matthew 20, the first and the last all received a penny.

All believers, regardless of when they were saved or how long they've been saved receive the same reward: eternal life.

Comment

Working...
                X