Gambling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gambling

What scripture is there concerning gambling, anyone know ?

Re: Gambling

None specifically that I'm aware of?

Heading to Vegas?
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post

Heading to Vegas?
      If so, remember: what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas...including most of the money you take there. Seriously, Off hand, I can think of no specific Scripture dealing with gambling. Of course, most of the people in the OT and NT didn't have a lot of extra money, so the issue of gambling probably never really came up. Personally though, my conscience would not let me gamble away extra money I could give to the needy or the ministry. 'Course I never have extra.

Sometimes when you can't find the answer to your question in the Bible, you can just ask the Author what He thinks.

When we stand before the Judgment Seat, we will have retained only two things from our earthly life: what God gave us, and what we did with what He gave us.

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post

Heading to Vegas?
        Here is the thing.

Me and some fellows play a light game of "quarters" every now and then.
        We toss quarters to a line or a wall. Whoever gets closest wins the quarters.

Well this fellow came up and said "Noones gonna say anything so I will, Gambling is a SIN!"

Now I acted a bit hastely and almost without even thinking almost instantly I recalled when Israel tossed "lots" to find out who would get what lands.

And so I said " Are you sure about that ? Because when God divided the lands among Israel they tossed lots to find out who would get what lands". And one of these fellows who was with that guy who said it was a sin said "really ?". I said yes, look it up in the bible, they tossed lots meaning they would draw sticks of different lengths and whoever got the long stick would get the short land.

I was just wondering where do people get the doctrine that gambling is a sin ?

Now in hind sight I thought maybe I acted a bit hastey. I mean, I know some people have a problem with gambling. But I was just wondering where there might be scripture that explains how it is a sin. Of course also I am sure that the money spent gambling would be better used for other things such as helping the poor but we were just playing a little game.

But to be quite honest with you I walk with faith. And this fellow basicly came up and said we were sinning by playing quarters. I am just wondering if I need to take a second look at myself concerning this.

Comment

Originally posted by Zack702 View Post

I just lost 420 bucks gambling about a month and a half ago. Before anyone comes to the wrong conclusion, it wasn't me that was gambling, it was the person I was working for. Instead of paying my 2 days of wages, he used my money to gamble with. How do I know, his ex wife told me so. She knows him better than anyone. I already knew he had a gambling problem, but he has always paid me my wages. He's been hiding ever since, won't even answer his cell phone when I try to call him. So if anyone thinks there's nothing wrong with gambling, try working at your job, then instead of getting paid, your money gets spent on gambling instead, except not by you. Times are already tough enough. I really needed my pay. I mean that's the reason I go to work in the first place

As far as Scriptures for gambling, I can think of one that might fit, at least in my case, and that would be stealing, since this is basically what happened to my expected pay because of gambling.

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
            I just lost 420 bucks gambling about a month and a half ago. Before anyone comes to the wrong conclusion, it wasn't me that was gambling, it was the person I was working for. Instead of paying my 2 days of wages, he used my money to gamble with. How do I know, his ex wife told me so. She knows him better than anyone. I already knew he had a gambling problem, but he has always paid me my wages. He's been hiding ever since, won't even answer his cell phone when I try to call him. So if anyone thinks there's nothing wrong with gambling, try working at your job, then instead of getting paid, your money gets spent on gambling instead, except not by you. Times are already tough enough. I really needed my pay. I mean that's the reason I go to work in the first place

As far as Scriptures for gambling, I can think of one that might fit, at least in my case, and that would be stealing, since this is basically what happened to my expected pay because of gambling.
            Maybe it is that gambling can lead to sin. Things that lead to sin we know that Jesus spoke against these.

Comment

Here is the thing.

Me and some fellows play a light game of "quarters" every now and then.
              We toss quarters to a line or a wall. Whoever gets closest wins the quarters.

Well this fellow came up and said "Noones gonna say anything so I will, Gambling is a SIN!"

Now I acted a bit hastely and almost without even thinking almost instantly I recalled when Israel tossed "lots" to find out who would get what lands.

And so I said " Are you sure about that ? Because when God divided the lands among Israel they tossed lots to find out who would get what lands". And one of these fellows who was with that guy who said it was a sin said "really ?". I said yes, look it up in the bible, they tossed lots meaning they would draw sticks of different lengths and whoever got the long stick would get the short land.

I was just wondering where do people get the doctrine that gambling is a sin ?

Now in hind sight I thought maybe I acted a bit hastey. I mean, I know some people have a problem with gambling. But I was just wondering where there might be scripture that explains how it is a sin. Of course also I am sure that the money spent gambling would be better used for other things such as helping the poor but we were just playing a little game.

But to be quite honest with you I walk with faith. And this fellow basicly came up and said we were sinning by playing quarters. I am just wondering if I need to take a second look at myself concerning this.
              As far as I know, there is no Scripture about gambling being a sin.

Personally, I do not consider it a sin, but as with all things, moderation. What you are talking about is a harmless game with minor amounts of money involved, and while you could say that that money could be put to use elsewhere, you can say that about anything. You could say you shouldn't buy that book, pay for the internet that allows you to get on here, eat out ever, eat anything but P&J since that is one of the cheapest things you can buy to eat, etc.

As to why people call it a sin, I think you will find that a lot of people don't agree with something or were taught something is wrong and decide that it must be a sin, without ever actually trying to find Scriptural support for it.

A lot of things work out poorly if done in excess. It's not that there is necessarily something wrong with gambling, there is just something wrong with how this person went about gambling. It wasn't the gambling that was the problem, it was that he essentially used, and lost, other peoples' money doing it.

Comment

Idk, Zack, I think when we begin to worry or fuss about how we might be "sinning" on the outside, we get focused on the wrong thing, and what we have to do or stop doing. All sin stems from unbelief. To me, this means distrust. Sin=not trusting God.

We aren't focusing on the inside of our cup, but on the outside. I think it's a distraction. If we can focus on whether or not tossing quarters against a wall, playing a game, is "sin", then we are effectively distracted from what God cares most about - what is going on in our inside. All sin comes from inside a man to defile him. If the inside of the cup is clean, the outside just will be as well. However, it is possible to work on making the outside look spiffy when in fact, the inside is full of awful stuff. Do we care what other men see or what God sees?

Comment

Originally posted by awestruckchild View Post
                  Idk, Zack, I think when we begin to worry or fuss about how we might be "sinning" on the outside, we get focused on the wrong thing, and what we have to do or stop doing. All sin stems from unbelief. To me, this means distrust. Sin=not trusting God.

We aren't focusing on the inside of our cup, but on the outside. I think it's a distraction. If we can focus on whether or not tossing quarters against a wall, playing a game, is "sin", then we are effectively distracted from what God cares most about - what is going on in our inside. All sin comes from inside a man to defile him. If the inside of the cup is clean, the outside just will be as well. However, it is possible to work on making the outside look spiffy when in fact, the inside is full of awful stuff. Do we care what other men see or what God sees?
                  I do care.

This is my point.

That man convicted me and my fellows of sinning.

And it dawned on me that this man had been told that gambling is a sin and thereafter he was handed a collection plate.

That is my main point here.

When we go about convicting each other with false doctrines such as gambling is a sin we do so much more harm than we understand.

Christ should not be portrayed any other way than what is within the means of what Christ has said.

Now if I am a sinner then God judge me and I pray forgiveness. I do.

I know the depths of sin which is far beyond what most comprehend.

But the worst of all in this age. is the sin of convicting others as though we were a judge.

The yoke of Christ is not nearly as heavy as so many people have made it.

They make it heavy to suit there own purpose and to bind people in service to men and not God.

Comment

Maybe it is that gambling can lead to sin. Things that lead to sin we know that Jesus spoke against these.

This guy is already a sinner bigtime, not even a Christian. But just imagine if you were a Christian. You hit the nail on the head. It could certainly lead to sin. For example, you come home to your wife and kids except you're broke when you should have just got paid. You were out gambling, but you lost a weeks wages. You can't bear to tell you wife how you lost the money, so you make up a story instead, which leads to lying. I mean there's all different kinds of ways it could go, in which it could lead to sin. Perhaps you're a good gambler and win a lot. Could that lead to sin? I guess it all depends on what you do with all that extra money.

Comment

This guy is already a sinner bigtime, not even a Christian. But just imagine if you were a Christian. You hit the nail on the head. It could certainly lead to sin. For example, you come home to your wife and kids except you're broke when you should have just got paid. You were out gambling, but you lost a weeks wages. You can't bear to tell you wife how you lost the money, so you make up a story instead, which leads to lying. I mean there's all different kinds of ways it could go, in which it could lead to sin. Perhaps you're a good gambler and win a lot. Could that lead to sin? I guess it all depends on what you do with all that extra money.
                      Something I learned about games and gambling along time ago is that someone is going to lose.

Now the biggest sin in gambling is not that it is a sin. It is that your taking someones money who would of otherwise been able to keep it. Losing can be very hard on people. Unless you have developed nerves of steel and your attachment to that money is completely gone your going to suffer when you lose it. Most people never develop such nerves and they will allways be attached to there money and there materials. For that reason when you take someones money when you win there money your most likely going to cause suffering.

Comment

Luk_23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

Joh_19:24 They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.
                        James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post
                          Luk_23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

Joh_19:24 They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.
                          Leviticus 16:8
                          And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat.

Comment

Leviticus 16:8
                            And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat.
                            Yes, casting lots is all through the bible. Nothing is stated about it's morality but it's common sense that if someone gambles too much and can't pay their bills etc, then it's at a sinful level.
                            James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post
                              Yes, casting lots is all through the bible. Nothing is stated about it's morality but it's common sense that if someone gambles too much and can't pay their bills etc, then it's at a sinful level.
                              Even so. Your bills are to ceaser not God.

If you serve God then serve God. If you serve Ceaser then serve Ceaser.
                              But concerning doctrines don't mingle them together, because your causing the unsaved to be ever confused.

Comment

Working...
                              X