Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idolatry

Exodus 20:4
    Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Deuteronomy 4:16-18
    Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, The likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air,
    The likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth:

Is it inappropriate for a Christian to have images (pictures or statues) of Christ in their homes?
    What about statues or likenesses of created things like sculptures of frogs, fish or people or stuffed animals used as children’s toys?
    Psalm 19:14
    Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
    sigpic

Re: Idolatry

Hm.. when you ask about a picture of Christ in the home.. would it only become a idol if you were to sit there and worship that picture? If you put that picture above Christ Himself? Or what if it was hanging in your house, and you paid no attention to it... would it still be wrong?
    Why are you searching for love? Why are you still looking as if I'm not enough?

Comment

Originally posted by lovex View Post
      Hm.. when you ask about a picture of Christ in the home.. would it only become a idol if you were to sit there and worship that picture? If you put that picture above Christ Himself? Or what if it was hanging in your house, and you paid no attention to it... would it still be wrong?
      For the sake of the discussion, I’d ask that the purpose (or lack of purpose) of the item or object remain irrelevant.
      Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_no_one View Post
        Is it inappropriate for a Christian to have images (pictures or statues) of Christ in their homes? What about statues or likenesses of created things like sculptures of frogs, fish or people or stuffed animals used as children’s toys?
        Depends on the reason they have it. But more often than not, I'd say no, it's probably not inappropriate.

I think idolatry is one of the least understood principles in scripture. Most of the time when I see people teach on idolatry, it's to manipulate others, and make them feel guilty about something.
        This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by lovex View Post
          I haven't any pictures of Christ in my home and neither would I want any but I can't see that it should be a problem if it helps you to focus during a quiet time etc. I wear a cross, would that be considered in the same way?

Comment

In the OT idols or images refers to a statue or something of human manufacture which people have substituted and submitted themselves to instead of the true and living God. The best definition of an idol is some thing, person, or structure that a person submits themselves to as a god - a ruling, dominant force or value in their life. It may not be a statue or a tree as in ancient times but it can be a system, a preference, or a pursuit that opposes God's rule and will in your life.

In the Gospels, there is virtually nothing about idolatry, but in the letters of Paul and the other NT books Christians are frequently warned against idolatry. In the NT period the term idolatry began to be used as a spiritual concept. idolatry became not the actual bowing down before a statue but the replacement of God in the heart or mind of the worshiper. "Put to death...covetousness, which is idolatry", etc.

Today, as believers we must understand the vicious nature of idolatry and the potential bondage inherent in submission to the spirit of the world. Besides material objects such as houses, land, and cars, idols can be people, popular hero's, or those whom we love. Objects of worship can include things like fame, reputation, hobbies, pride, and deeds done in the name of the Lord.
            Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

It could if you worship Jesus on the cross as some do. Some will also kiss their cross which is idolatry. Remember, Jesus is resurrected and sitting at God's right hand. But if it is as an identity symbol, then I wouldn't refer to it as a idol.

Originally posted by claybevan View Post
              I haven't any pictures of Christ in my home and neither would I want any but I can't see that it should be a problem if it helps you to focus during a quiet time etc. I wear a cross, would that be considered in the same way?
              Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Originally posted by amazzin View Post
                It could if you worship Jesus on the cross as some do. Some will also kiss their cross which is idolatry. Remember, Jesus is resurrected and sitting at God's right hand. But if it is as an identity symbol, then I wouldn't refer to it as a idol.
                Who worships Jesus on the cross? and why do you think that kissing the cross is idolatry, unless you know what's in their hearts how can you say that it's bad?
                I'm not totally disagreeing with you but just interested in the thinking behind your reply.

Comment

I can name one religion who worships a "Christ" on the cross. It seems that His resurrection and accession is completely forgotten.

What purpose does kissing a cross bring? Its placing ones faith on an image or object that has no power to it.

Why is what I said such a sore spot?
                  Amazzin

Comment

So the mentioned scripture in the OP is to be understood as not prohibitive of the manufacture or acquisition of objects in the form of any created things? Examples could include children’s toys or home decor.
                    sigpic

Comment

I think also when you start believing there is a certain power or protection granted that is being emitting from said object; cross, bible, picture. . . LOL favorite socks.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_no_one View Post
                        So the mentioned scripture in the OP is to be understood as not prohibitive of the manufacture or acquisition of objects in the form of any created things? Examples could include children’s toys or home decor.
                        That prohibition was to the Jews and was included in Moses' law...which Christians are not under. We do fulfill it, but we are not subject to rules and regulations contained therein. Even the scriptures, or ministry, can be an idol...

W
                        Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Comment

Originally posted by amazzin View Post
                          I can name one religion who worships a "Christ" on the cross. It seems that His resurrection and accession is completely forgotten.

What purpose does kissing a cross bring? Its placing ones faith on an image or object that has no power to it.

Why is what I said such a sore spot?
                          It's not a sore spot at all, I was only asking what your thinking was behind your answer, I didn't know that they're were only people who believe in the Crucified Christ, and I kiss a lot of things if I'm happy or grateful, kids and husband included, doesn't mean I idolise them. Now if as Toner 44 says above, the footballer kisses his cross because he thinks it's the cross that helped him score that point then it's definitely a no no but if he's kissing it because he's grateful to the Lord for his skills then what's the problem? My point is idolatry is only an issue if what's in your heart is askew. Too many of us are so quick to condem others when we don't even know what's in their hearts. The original questioner was even asking about statues of dogs and frogs in the house, so they've obviously heard some weird advice about that sort of stuff. I think if your hearts right with God then you can have as many pictures as you like, you know what and who your worshipping! Our houses would be pretty boring without visual stimuli. So my picture of Steve Mcqueen is definitely staying on the wardrobe door!
                          So I am not sore! I thought what this site was about was discussion. Have a happy day! I'm off to the dentist.. doubt wether I will be kissing much by the end of the day

Comment

Isa 42:17 They shall be turned back, they shall be greatly ashamed, that trust in graven images, that say to the molten images, Ye are our gods.

Who or what is the trust put in? The art form, or God. A picture can remind a person of a bible story, or an attribute of God, and that can lead to worship of God.
                            The kids toys can be used for demonstration of the same thing. To show a moral, or lesson of a story. It is where the faith and worship is placed that makes
                            it an idol.

If the mindset is such that God cannot be found other than through pictures, or carved statues, or prayer beads, then there is idolatry. Anything or anyone
                            confidence is placed in above God is idolatry of the heart. That can be any mammon, which is more than only money.

G3126
                            μαμμωνᾶς
                            mammōnas
                            mam-mo-nas'
                            Of Chaldee origin (confidence, that is, figuratively wealth, personified); mammonas, that is, avarice (deified): - mammon.

Comment

Originally posted by claybevan View Post
                              Too many of us are so quick to condem others when we don't even know what's in their hearts.
                              And THAT'S probably the biggest problem right there. And not just about idols, but about a great many things.

Well said.
                              This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Working...
                              X