Following the Judges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following the Judges

I don't know if you all had the same experience, but growing up I was taught in Sunday school about how great the Judges were and that we should follow their example. A few questions come to mind:

Is this a correct way to teach about the Judges?

Why does the author of Judges choose to elaborate about the ones he does? (e.g. Othniel, Ehud, Deborah, Gideon, Abimilech, Jephthah, Samson)

What should be our view towards the Judges and how should we teach about them?

What is the purpose of the book of Judges?

How is all of this shaped by Hebrews 11?

I'll post my opinions later, but I want to know how you think.

Happy Posting,
    Levin
    “The Bible is essentially an open, artistic, imaginative narrative of God’s staggering care for the world, a narrative that will feed and nurture into obedience that builds community precisely by respect for the liberty of the Christian man or woman.”

-Walter Brueggemann

Deleted..........
    Last edited by HisLeast; Oct 16th 2008, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
      I don't know if you all had the same experience, but growing up I was taught in Sunday school about how great the Judges were and that we should follow their example. A few questions come to mind:

Is this a correct way to teach about the Judges?

Why does the author of Judges choose to elaborate about the ones he does? (e.g. Othniel, Ehud, Deborah, Gideon, Abimilech, Jephthah, Samson)

What should be our view towards the Judges and how should we teach about them?

What is the purpose of the book of Judges?

How is all of this shaped by Hebrews 11?

I'll post my opinions later, but I want to know how you think.

Happy Posting,
      Levin
      Is this a correct way to teach about the Judges? I don't think it is appropriate to teach any age group that one should emulate all the Judges. On the other hand, the Judges are a rich source of the human side of faith. Judges shows that people, no matter how flawed, have a spark of God in them and God can use them.

Why does the author of Judges choose to elaborate about the ones he does? (e.g. Othniel, Ehud, Deborah, Gideon, Abimilech, Jephthah, Samson) Since we do not know who wrote Judges I don't know we can explain why certain Judges were given "more press" than others.

What should be our view towards the Judges and how should we teach about them? As mentioned above, Judges is a rich source of showing the human side of faith.

What is the purpose of the book of Judges? Most likely to show that the period after the Exodus the tribes were too fractured except in time of emergency. Judges seems to lay the groundwork for justifying a monarchy starting with Saul.

How is all of this shaped by Hebrews 11? I think your reference to Hebrews 11 deals with these verses: 32And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, 33who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. 35Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection. 36Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. 37They were stoned; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— 38the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.

The author of Hebrews appears to be saying the Judges operated on faith. That interpretation may be right or it may be flawed. Much depends on whether you agree with the author of Hebrews.

Now that I've presented my views, what is your understanding of the book of Judges?

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Comment

Firstly, I never went to sunday school because I didn't have Christian parents, so I can't say much about that.

I have to think about some of your other questions.

I once heard a speaker say that the period of the judges epitomizes the philosophy of postmodernism. What do you think about that?
        "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Working...
        X