1 Cor. 3:16-17 Temple of God Health & Fitness Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Cor. 3:16-17 Temple of God Health & Fitness Group

16Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

I don't know about anyone else but I tend to ignore certain parts of the bible, or, well, maybe just overlook. I know it is all in God's timing. I have really let my "physical" health deteriorate over the last few years. I don't have any serious, physical illnesses(praise God)but my eating habits as well as physical activity levels are way off course. For me, it has to be my spiritual life before all other parts. So yes, reading God's Word, prayer, fellowshipping, and hey, service work are at the top of my priorities. If I keep these first, all else in my life will come 'round as well

Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

So as you can see, I started a new Social Group and I pray that if you are ready and willing to work on your physical health(eating better, exercising)you will come in and join the group Feedback, recipes, loving encouragment, bible verses, experiences with health and fitness in your life(or lack thereof like in mine) Just so you know, I am a firm believer in moderation. I am not into fad diets or cutting out certain foods like carbs etc. But balance is the ticket, I believe that. I would love to hear about experiences in these areas, good experiences and bad, to help and encourage others.

Men as well as women welcome, any age group, it's really for anyone that wants to either continue with or start getting fit. Caring for God's Temple. We can do all things through Christ Who strengthens us!! God bless and hope to see you stop by Im allllllllllll alone over 'dare so c'mon christian soldiers!!! your sister in Christ, denise

PS feedback welcome on this thread of course If you don't join right away, maybe I can talk you into it, lol!!!

I have nothing against eating correctly and taking care of your body... nourishing it.. when looking at the Scripture you posted...

that verse in the context to what it was written...

Paul was telling believers that those( unbelievers,wicked )who attempt to 'defile' the temple of the Holy Ghost.. which is the person (believer) as a whole...

defile in the Greek means to corrupt, destroy, limiit, oppose, thru ENVY.. the greek word is #5351 and those words associated with it..

Those who do that.. for God 'knows' their hearts and intents.. those who do such things.. God will destroy them...

I have nothing against taking care of your body... eating right and taking care of yourself...

For no man or woman every hates their body... but takes care of it.. nourisheth it.. even as the Lord nourishes the church..

I just wanted to clarify in the context of your first verse you quoted... Yes our body is the Temple of the Holy Ghost.. but its not what we eat that defiles us... what comes out of our mouth.. comes from the heart and that what is defiling... and God will destroy those who out of envy attempt to defile the Christian believer..

I wish you the best in your new Social Group.. and how do I sign up... let me know...
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

Originally posted by Oregongrown View Post

Men as well as women welcome, any age group, it's really for anyone that wants to either continue with or start getting fit. Caring for God's Temple. We can do all things through Christ Who strengthens us!! God bless and hope to see you stop by Im allllllllllll alone over 'dare so c'mon christian soldiers!!! your sister in Christ, denise

PS feedback welcome on this thread of course If you don't join right away, maybe I can talk you into it, lol!!!
      I'm in! I started working out and changed my eating habits back in July. I've lost 25 lbs and feel great. I did it for my health, not for looks.

My husband really motivated me. He was working out at work and lost 20 lbs. I decided to go to the doctor and get a physical. I had to confront that I had a few lbs to lose. My cholesterol was higher than it had ever been (just 204, but high for me). It just shocked me back to reality. I decided that I wasn't getting any younger, and I needed to take care of myself and set a better example for my kids. So far our family has made a lot of changes in what we eat, and the food we keep around the house. It's actually helped us to be better focused spiritually and to appreciate the bodies God gave us. AND....I have more energy to devote to God and family, instead of sitting around in a self-induced fast food coma.

One of my best friends came to me two weeks ago and asked me to help her eat better and train her (work outs). She is overweight and health challenges are right around the corner for her. After a week of calorie reduction and cardio/weight training, her pants are already loose and she has tons more energy. If I can inspire just one person to live a healthier lifestyle, then it's all worth it.

God didn't intend for us to be gluttons. Being overweight and unhealthy due to our own habits will impact our lives negatively in many ways. Today I watched Dr. G. Medical Examiner's show on How Not to Die (prematurely). The #2 cause of premature death in the U.S. is obesity caused conditions. Obese people shorten their life span an average of 20 years. That's 20 years that God could use someone to further His Kingdom!

Basically all I did was reduce my calorie intake and work out 6 days a week (3 days cardio, 3 days weight training). It truly is the 'balance' that works. When you only allow yourself a certain number of calories per day, you learn to get the most out of them. The fact is most low calorie foods are the healthy ones. The bonus is this: you get one free day a week! I picked Sunday (since it's a day of rest) and I eat ANYTHING I want all day long. So it helps with the cravings I have during the week. I got that idea from Body for Life by Bob Phillips.

Comment

Heathly it takes work!

Hi, Oregangrown! The body is God's temple. We need to take care of it because it will allow us more time on this earth to be productive Christ followers.

I started jogging and eating better about ten years ago. My doctor at the time basically said you will change or die. I am about 55 pounds lighter and much more fit.

I have a lot of ups and downs on my journey. I keep telling everyone that asks recently that I am going to write a book: How to lose weight the easy way? STRESS! I would not recommend this method, however, it has seemed to allow me to lose those extra 10-15 pounds!

Honestly, it has to do with consistent eating habits. I believe it is more about eating regularly and less meat, more water or water type drinks.

I would recommend you set an excersise goal. Like to run a marathon, walk around the block, do 30 pushups or whatever. My goal is to run a half-marathon and marathon before I turn 50.

If you work at it you will amaze yourself especially if use the time to get in touch with yourself and God. I spend a good part of my time on my long runs praying, talking, complaining, crying out to God!! I use David as a model in prayer, he was not afraid to say anything. God was not afraid to correct Him, what a relationship!!

I would also make the suggestion that the older you get, the more you take time to rest in between days of excerise. I have just recently started to do it and I have mantained my weight and feel better!!

Come on people join my friend!!

Comment

I got so excited today. At this womens conference I attended, they are planning a 10k & 5k run to raise money for a children's ministry. I've never been a good runner (endurance), so I'm going to work hard to get ready for this marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by Oregongrown View Post
            So as you can see, I started a new Social Group and I pray that if you are ready and willing to work on your physical health(eating better, exercising)you will come in and join the group

And would this group advocate or be against offering pork in the temple?

Comment

Chapter three is a reference to the body of Christ as a whole (local body). Chapter six has a reference to the individual's physical body. Might wanna change it.
              For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Not that I have anything against exercise, but Paul did state . . .

1 Timothy 4:8
                For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.
                "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                  Not that I have anything against exercise, but Paul did state . . .

Amen, lets start a "let your body go" group

Comment

Great! I've been waiting for a social group like this! I'd love to join. But, how do I join? I'm still kinda new here...

Comment

I agree with Vertical aswell,

But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come. 1 Tim 4:7-8.

Actually I haven`t read or put attention to this verse before is new for me.

And bearing in mind the world today isn`t that similar to the time it was written, e.i.: There are some people who are almost all day working before a PC, so if one doesn`t exercise then one `d become a coach potato.

BE good
                      Stay healthy

"Think white and get serious"

sigpic

Comment

Oregongrown,

As a backslidden exerciser, I'll take a leap and join up.
                        You may have to kick me out though, 'cause I don't have
                        any recipes and I don't have an apron.

God bless.
                        "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

{ Psalm 46:10 }

Comment

Working...
                        X