Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do all dogs go to heaven? ... "like the beasts, are perishing..."

Have you seen the poplular children's film, "All Dogs Go to HeaVen?"

Theologically challenged program, to say the least. LOL.

But what are we to make of these passages?

Psalm 49:11-13, 19-20

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

11 Their inner thought is that their houses are forever
    And their dwelling places to all generations;
    They have called their lands after their own names.
    12 But man in his pomp will not endure;
    He is like the beasts that perish.

13 This is the way of those who are foolish,
    And of those after them who approve their words.
    ... 19 He shall go to the generation of his fathers;
    They will never see the light.
    20 Man in his pomp, yet without understanding,
    Is like the beasts that perish.
    2 Peter 2:12-16

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

12 But these, like unreasoning animals, born as creatures of instinct to be captured and killed, reviling where they have no knowledge, will in the destruction of those creatures also be destroyed, 13 suffering wrong as the wages of doing wrong. They count it a pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are stains and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions, as they carouse with you, 14 having eyes full of adultery that never cease from sin, enticing unstable souls, having a heart trained in greed, accursed children; 15 forsaking the right way, they have gone astray, having followed the way of Balaam, the son of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness; 16 but he received a rebuke for his own transgression, for a mute donkey, speaking with a voice of a man, restrained the madness of the prophet.
    i don't get the sense the writers are speaking of the Beast from Revelation.

So, what is the fate of our pets and all animals?

I know that if they take a human life, they won't go unpunished.

Genesis 9
    5 Surely I will require your lifeblood; from every beast I will require it.
    Well, help me out here.
    “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
    that we may observe all the words of this law."
    Deuteronomy 29:29

Re: Do all dogs go to heaven? ... "like the beasts, are perishing..."

Originally posted by Eyelog View Post
    Have you seen the poplular children's film, "All Dogs Go to HeaVen?"

Theologically challenged program, to say the least. LOL.

But what are we to make of these passages?

i don't get the sense the writers are speaking of the Beast from Revelation.

So, what is the fate of our pets and all animals?

I know that if they take a human life, they won't go unpunished.

Well, help me out here.
    Man and the animal are tripartite beings. They have body, soul and spirit. The Body is the vessel or tent, the soul is the creature and the spirit is that part that enlivens or gives vitality. Man is different to the beast in that he is created in the image of God. So Ecclesiastes Chapters 3 and 12 give the sequence at death. Both the man and the animal's body go back to the earth. But at death the spirit of the beast goes to the earth whilst that of the man returns to God to wait resurrection. The soul of a man goes to place called Hades under the earth to wait resurrection when the body, soul and spirit are united (Eccl.3:19-21, 12:7; 1st Ki.17:22; Lk.8:55).

If you kill a beast willfully or accidentally you have not done anything in the grand scheme of things and the beast ceases to exist. Thus you may "kill and eat" at the command of God (Act.10:13). If you kill a man your blood is to be required of you because you struck a blow at the image of God (Gen.9:5-6).

By the way, there are approximately 293 verses in the New Testament containing the word "heaven", "heavens" and "heavenly." Not one of them says that man's destiny is heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post
      Man and the animal are tripartite beings. They have body, soul and spirit. The Body is the vessel or tent, the soul is the creature and the spirit is that part that enlivens or gives vitality. Man is different to the beast in that he is created in the image of God. So Ecclesiastes Chapters 3 and 12 give the sequence at death. Both the man and the animal's body go back to the earth. But at death the spirit of the beast goes to the earth whilst that of the man returns to God to wait resurrection. The soul of a man goes to place called Hades under the earth to wait resurrection when the body, soul and spirit are united (Eccl.3:19-21, 12:7; 1st Ki.17:22; Lk.8:55).

If you kill a beast willfully or accidentally you have not done anything in the grand scheme of things and the beast ceases to exist. Thus you may "kill and eat" at the command of God (Act.10:13). If you kill a man your blood is to be required of you because you struck a blow at the image of God (Gen.9:5-6).

By the way, there are approximately 293 verses in the New Testament containing the word "heaven", "heavens" and "heavenly." Not one of them says that man's destiny is heaven.
      Do animals have a spirit ?, I have alway thought that the difference was that unlike us they were only body and soul.

Comment

Horses are in heaven. Yeshua's coming back on one.
        Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

The bible seems pretty clear that animals will exist in the new earth/the world to come but it does not say that, for example, my old dog Razor (Who was an excellent dog in every way) will be brought out from the grave to be there with me or not.
          I've read discussions of this topic on many forums and heard it discussed by many Christians over the years and the final consensus is usually always pretty much the same.

There just isn't enough said in scripture to tell us one way or the other.
          "Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back that is an outrage."

Comment

Originally posted by claybevan View Post
            Do animals have a spirit ?, I have alway thought that the difference was that unlike us they were only body and soul.
            I suppose it depends on what you mean by "spirit", "soul", and if these two words mean different things.

Outside of the human species, we see that the higher species, especially other mammals, have individual personalities and are sentient. If that's not "soul" or "spirit", I don't know what is.
            If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. - John 8:36

Comment

Not all dogs will be in heaven. I am particularly interceding ona few in my neck of teh woods to be excluded.
              Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW View Post
                The bible seems pretty clear that animals will exist in the new earth/the world to come but it does not say that, for example, my old dog Razor (Who was an excellent dog in every way) will be brought out from the grave to be there with me or not.
                I've read discussions of this topic on many forums and heard it discussed by many Christians over the years and the final consensus is usually always pretty much the same.

There just isn't enough said in scripture to tell us one way or the other.
                It's one of those cool things you'll get to find out one day.
                Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Templar View Post
                  I suppose it depends on what you mean by "spirit", "soul", and if these two words mean different things.

Outside of the human species, we see that the higher species, especially other mammals, have individual personalities and are sentient. If that's not "soul" or "spirit", I don't know what is.
                  I'm not brilliant at explaining what I think but it's what this guy says below.

The spirit is always referred to as the immaterial part of man. Man is not a spirit, he has a spirit. I believe the soul (psyche) is just what the greek word implies... the makeup of man. You are different from every other person. The thing that makes Raymond Raymond is the soul. The soul is how you relate to others and how you understand yourself. The spirit is how you relate to God. When you are reborn, you are born of spirit (John 3:5-6). The spirit is part of the soul, much like the mind is part of the soul. It is the soul, though, that comprises who you are.

Animals don't have a spirit per se- they don't seek God. Plants have a body, animals have a body and soul (they are capable of relating to man and other animals), but only man has a spirit. Both the soul and spirit pass when man dies, thus you will be recognizable as Raymond in the coming resurrection (ref Matt 17:3) and you will as a believer forever be able to fellowship with God. You will be given a new body (1 Cor 15:51-55), but you will be you.

Read more: http://www.comereason.org/theo_issue...#ixzz20MEx3Zmq

Comment

I realize many posters belong to that small percentage of the world's population that, for their pleasure, keep, feed and give animals medical benefits over and above what the rest of peoples of the world get for themselves. And the interest among this small percentage of the world's population, having invested so much emotionally and fiscally, is great, especially when it comes to their pet's death. But as this is "Bible Chat" we observe from the bible (verses given above) that after the flood God gave man EVERY MOVING THING THAT LIVES to eat except their blood. We also observe that if God says that the SPIRIT of a beast goes to the earth in the same verse as He deals with the SPIRIT of a man, that (a) these two are similar, and (b) they are different from the body which goes to the earth. Thus the question of a beast having a spirit similar to a human is answered for us. So is its destiny. It might be nice to speculate that your favorite poodle or horse went to heaven, but the fact of the matter, at least in that grand Book, the bible, is that dear poodle has no more future than the lamb or calf that is being slaughtered right now for human consumption.

The answer that there must be horses in heaven as Christ comes upon a horse in the Book of Revelation was the only answer from the bible and as such a good one. But consider this. The very first verse of Revelation tells us that what John was shown was "signified". Vine tells us that this word means "shown by signs." Thus, the horse, being a sign of strength in other parts of the bible (Job.39:19; Ps.33:17), is most likely a sign. Strength to this argument is added when we see that the other horses carrying famine and death and even Hades (Rev.6:8) also were observed from or in heaven.

Comment

Isaiah 11 (NIV)

11 A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
                      from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
                      2 The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him—
                      the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
                      the Spirit of counsel and of might,
                      the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord—
                      3 and he will delight in the fear of the Lord.He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,
                      or decide by what he hears with his ears;
                      4 but with righteousness he will judge the needy,
                      with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.
                      He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth;
                      with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.
                      5 Righteousness will be his belt
                      and faithfulness the sash around his waist.

6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
                      the leopard will lie down with the goat,
                      the calf and the lion and the yearling[a] together;
                      and a little child will lead them.
                      7 The cow will feed with the bear,
                      their young will lie down together,
                      and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
                      8 The infant will play near the cobra’s den,
                      and the young child will put its hand into the viper’s nest.
                      9 They will neither harm nor destroy
                      on all my holy mountain,
                      for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord
                      as the waters cover the sea.

10 In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his resting place will be glorious. 11 In that day the Lord will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the surviving remnant of his people from Assyria, from Lower Egypt, from Upper Egypt, from Cush,[b] from Elam, from Babylonia,[c] from Hamath and from the islands of the Mediterranean.
                      12 He will raise a banner for the nations
                      and gather the exiles of Israel;
                      he will assemble the scattered people of Judah
                      from the four quarters of the earth.
                      13 Ephraim’s jealousy will vanish,
                      and Judah’s enemies[d] will be destroyed;
                      Ephraim will not be jealous of Judah,
                      nor Judah hostile toward Ephraim.
                      14 They will swoop down on the slopes of Philistia to the west;
                      together they will plunder the people to the east.
                      They will subdue Edom and Moab,
                      and the Ammonites will be subject to them.
                      15 The Lord will dry up
                      the gulf of the Egyptian sea;
                      with a scorching wind he will sweep his hand
                      over the Euphrates River.
                      He will break it up into seven streams
                      so that anyone can cross over in sandals.
                      16 There will be a highway for the remnant of his people
                      that is left from Assyria,
                      as there was for Israel
                      when they came up from Egypt.

I believe that this scripture is speaking of Christ's millinium reign on earth.
                      It seems like the animal kingdom ceases to be a Dog eat Dog world.

That's not to say that "Dogs go to heaven". For example if your dog dies today it ceases to exist. However, there will be animals in the New Jerusalem.
                      I didnt know the link didnt work

Comment

I realize many posters belong to that small percentage of the world's population that, for their pleasure, keep, feed and give animals medical benefits over and above what the rest of peoples of the world get for themselves. And the interest among this small percentage of the world's population, having invested so much emotionally and fiscally, is great, especially when it comes to their pet's death. But as this is "Bible Chat" we observe from the bible (verses given above) that after the flood God gave man EVERY MOVING THING THAT LIVES to eat except their blood. We also observe that if God says that the SPIRIT of a beast goes to the earth in the same verse as He deals with the SPIRIT of a man, that (a) these two are similar, and (b) they are different from the body which goes to the earth. Thus the question of a beast having a spirit similar to a human is answered for us. So is its destiny. It might be nice to speculate that your favorite poodle or horse went to heaven, but the fact of the matter, at least in that grand Book, the bible, is that dear poodle has no more future than the lamb or calf that is being slaughtered right now for human consumption.

The answer that there must be horses in heaven as Christ comes upon a horse in the Book of Revelation was the only answer from the bible and as such a good one. But consider this. The very first verse of Revelation tells us that what John was shown was "signified". Vine tells us that this word means "shown by signs." Thus, the horse, being a sign of strength in other parts of the bible (Job.39:19; Ps.33:17), is most likely a sign. Strength to this argument is added when we see that the other horses carrying famine and death and even Hades (Rev.6:8) also were observed from or in heaven.
                        I am sure that there will be animals in heaven and probably amazing creatures we have never seen, I just don't think they will be our dead pets or animals that have lived on earth and died.
                        I do believe they have souls, that's quite evident in many animals but as you say they do not have a spirit and that sadly counts them out of joining us in heaven.

I

Comment

I am sure that there will be animals in heaven and probably amazing creatures we have never seen, I just don't think they will be our dead pets or animals that have lived on earth and died.
                          I do believe they have souls, that's quite evident in many animals but as you say they do not have a spirit and that sadly counts them out of joining us in heaven.

I
                          I know that sometimes things get missed among all the writing on these forums, but just to be clear on what I said above in posting #2, and what Ecclesiastes says, animals DO have a spirit. It is what enlivens them or gives them life. It is just that at death the spirit of the beast goes to the earth while that of a man goes back to God to wait for the resurrection (Eccl.3:21; Gen.2:7, 6:17, 7:15, 22; Job.33:4).

God Bless

Comment

I know that sometimes things get missed among all the writing on these forums, but just to be clear on what I said above in posting #2, and what Ecclesiastes says, animals DO have a spirit. It is what enlivens them or gives them life. It is just that at death the spirit of the beast goes to the earth while that of a man goes back to God to wait for the resurrection (Eccl.3:21; Gen.2:7, 6:17, 7:15, 22; Job.33:4).

God Bless
                            Sorry Walls, me not reading properly again. Rash female at it again
                            God bless you too.

Comment

If my holy Father is going to bless me with eternal life, a seat at a table with Jesus, a spot with the angels to sing praises to my Savior, and everything that is heaven, would He refuse to allow the animal friends I have loved here to join me there?
                              Just one more reason to love Him.

Comment

Working...
                              X