I have officially switched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have officially switched

I was once a big fan of NKJV, then I adopted the NASB preference ... and after a while, I balanced the NASB with the ESV almost equally.

My wife just got an NIV given to her and I find myself borrowing her bible all the time! I used to dismiss the NIV because I *thought* it was a bogus translation, but ya know what? It's more fluid and a lot easier to read than the NASB! And I can't really tell much of a difference in overall content.

Granted, for deeper study I would probably go to the NASB, since it is more word-for-word, whereas the NIV is more a thought-for-thought concept. But I always end up looking into the original languages anyway ...

Anywhoo ... just thought I'd share that with y'all

What do you guys like?
    If we doubt or do not believe that God is gracious to us and is pleased with us, or if we presumptuously expect to please Him only through and after our works, then it is all pure deception, outwardly honoring God, but inwardly setting up self as a false [savior].... (Part X. XI) Excerpts from Martin Luther, Treatise Concerning Good Works (1520).

I prefer my widemargin NASB
    Originally posted by Job 34:19
    God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Comment

widemargin? What's that all about?
      If we doubt or do not believe that God is gracious to us and is pleased with us, or if we presumptuously expect to please Him only through and after our works, then it is all pure deception, outwardly honoring God, but inwardly setting up self as a false [savior].... (Part X. XI) Excerpts from Martin Luther, Treatise Concerning Good Works (1520).

Comment

Originally posted by humbled View Post
        widemargin? What's that all about?
        You can take a look here. As you can see from the little picture there is a boatload of room in the margin for note taking!
        Originally posted by Job 34:19
        God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Comment

I have officially switched

Whew! I thought you were going to announce that you were now an Arminian.
          My Blog

Comment

I see ...

I don't like to write in my bible really. The occasional highlight is one thing .. but if I'm taking notes, it's in a notepad or even better - on the computer.

That way I can switch versions and still keep the notes .. or if I lose the bible, I've lost my notes. Can't have that! I've looked back on some of my older notes and really enjoy seeing how much I've grown, and sorta laugh at myself for some previous interpretations.

Comment

Originally posted by Whispering Grace View Post

Whew! I thought you were going to announce that you were now an Arminian.
              I kinda thought that would happen to a few of ya

lol .. nope. Still a staunch Calvinist ... moreso in fact!

What about you, incidentally? Since you bring it up ... are you still no longer a Calvinist?

Comment

I see ...

I don't like to write in my bible really. The occasional highlight is one thing .. but if I'm taking notes, it's in a notepad or even better - on the computer.

That way I can switch versions and still keep the notes .. or if I lose the bible, I've lost my notes. Can't have that! I've looked back on some of my older notes and really enjoy seeing how much I've grown, and sorta laugh at myself for some previous interpretations.

My practice is to take notes within my bible and then buy a new bible ever two or three years and transcribe the notes again.... Those notes that still make sense I keep.... Those notes that I find confusing - I withdraw or clarify.... You'd be surprised how having both the notes within the margins and then the rewrites have helped my memory and thus focus....

To me it's the best way I can study afresh and find joy in remembering the when I wrote it and the why....
                "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
                Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
                ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
                Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
                1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
                Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Comment

Here is something from another thread from this forum.
                  Originally Posted by dara
                  iv heard that the niv new international version it is not good since some pasages have been changed in meaning
                  there were people like Virginia Mollenkott “In 1978 Mollenkott co-authored the book entitled Is the Homosexual My Neighbor?, Dr. Mollenkott, one of the literary consultants for the NIV translating committee, is a professed homosexual.
                  too cut it short do a research on her u will find that her views have influenced pasages of niv

here is one

KJB - Thou shall not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination.

NIV - Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman: that is detestable.

abomination and detestable does not mean the same thing

SOLD OUT: Oohhhh, that is good information! I'm going to look that up. We had a discussion about NIV translation one night and upon further research, the translators (Westcott/Hort) weren't even saved!!!

Think about it. TADDY
                  Last edited by taddy; Apr 30th 2007, 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

I'm a NKJV gal myself.

Don't know why, really. Perhaps because it was the first Bible I got after my conversion.

Now I collect 'em. I think I have about 10 NKJV Bibles.

I tend to stick to one translation because I like to memorize Scripture and reading various translations confuses me in that department.
                    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by taddy View Post
                      Here is something from another thread from this forum.
                      Originally Posted by dara
                      iv heard that the niv new international version it is not good since some pasages have been changed in meaning
                      there were people like Virginia Mollenkott “In 1978 Mollenkott co-authored the book entitled Is the Homosexual My Neighbor?, Dr. Mollenkott, one of the literary consultants for the NIV translating committee, is a professed homosexual.
                      too cut it short do a research on her u will find that her views have influenced pasages of niv

here is one

KJB - Thou shall not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination.

NIV - Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman: that is detestable.

abomination and detestable does not mean the same thing

SOLD OUT: Oohhhh, that is good information! I'm going to look that up. We had a discussion about NIV translation one night and upon further research, the translators (Westcott/Hort) weren't even saved!!!

Think about it. TADDY
                      Hmmm ...

Main Entry: abom·i·na·tion
                      Pronunciation: &-"bä-m&-'nA-sh&n
                      Function: noun
                      1 : something abominable
                      2 : extreme disgust and hatred : LOATHING

Main Entry: de·test·able
                      Pronunciation: di-'tes-t&-b&l, dE-
                      Function: adjective
                      : arousing or meriting intense dislike : ABOMINABLE
                      - de·test·able·ness noun
                      - de·test·ably /-blE/ adverb

I suppose in semantics it is different, but they seem to get the same point across. At least as far as I can tell. According to m-w.com they even appear to be synonymous.

Thanks for your input

Comment

From Strongs, to think about: Nick
                        abomination
                        1) a disgusting thing, abomination, abominable
                        a) in ritual sense (of unclean food, idols, mixed marriages)
                        b) in ethical sense (of wickedness etc)

detestable
                        1) detestable thing or idol, abominable thing, abomination, idol, detested thing
                        "Don"t get caught in the activity trap, give your life to that which counts for eternity."

Comment

I started out as a KJV guy because I loved the poetic, almost mystical, style of the language and that is what I had when I first became a believer.

I have used the NKJV over the last few years but have liked the NIV also for reading purposes and the NASB and Young's literal for study purposes.

A friend of mine was recently singing his new love for the ESV and all the reasons he prefers it, saying it gives him the best of the NIV (easy, flowing read) and the NASB (close translation to the original) worlds combined.

Humbled, do you find the NIV reads easier to you than the ESV? What are your thoughts on the ESV?
                          WDJD - what DID Jesus do

He died on a cross for our sin and rose from the dead,
                          securing, for all who believe, eternal life and forgiveness of sin

Toolman

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
                            Humbled, do you find the NIV reads easier to you than the ESV? What are your thoughts on the ESV?
                            I do! It's the easiest flow for me .. at least right now. The ESV is easy ... easier than the NASB and NKJV, but there was just something in the NIV that clicked with me over the last month or so. I really, really enjoyed reading more using it than I had before. Maybe it was the translation, maybe it was the energizing of the Spirit. But either way, I've just loved the Word more than "usual" lately. I give at least partial credit to the easy flow of the NIV

How ya been, brother?

Comment

I was once a big fan of NKJV, then I adopted the NASB preference ... and after a while, I balanced the NASB with the ESV almost equally.

My wife just got an NIV given to her and I find myself borrowing her bible all the time! I used to dismiss the NIV because I *thought* it was a bogus translation, but ya know what? It's more fluid and a lot easier to read than the NASB! And I can't really tell much of a difference in overall content.

Granted, for deeper study I would probably go to the NASB, since it is more word-for-word, whereas the NIV is more a thought-for-thought concept. But I always end up looking into the original languages anyway ...

Anywhoo ... just thought I'd share that with y'all

What do you guys like?
                              I read KJV, NKJV & Amplified. I usually compare all three. I love to look up scripture in it's original language too.

You might want to do your own independent study regarding the NIV translators. I recently did one, and was quite shocked at what I read concerning Westcott & Hort.

Comment

Working...
                              X