Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe it necessry that a translator believes in Genesis account of creation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe it necessry that a translator believes in Genesis account of creation?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. No I do not, neither do I believe in the Genesis account of creation.
    Yes I do.
    53.85%
    No I do not.
    23.08%
    No I do not, nor do I believe in it.
    23.08%
    Last edited by rejoice44; Oct 5th 2012, 02:58 AM.

Re: Do you believe it necessry that a translator believes in Genesis account of creat

Originally posted by rejoice44 View Post
    1. Yes I do.

2. No I do not.

3. No I do not, neither do I believe in the Genesis account of creation.
    The question is valid of course, but a translator is one who has the command of languages, not revelation of scripture. The great King James Bible has the word "Easter" used for the word "Passah" because the translators went according to (their) revelation and not language. Maybe a better question would be, "should a Teacher of scripture believe in the Genesis account of creation?" After all, it is he that sets forth doctrine.

Comment

Re: Do you believe it necessry that a translator believes in Genesis account of creat

Originally posted by Walls View Post
      The question is valid of course, but a translator is one who has the command of languages, not revelation of scripture. The great King James Bible has the word "Easter" used for the word "Passah" because the translators went according to (their) revelation and not language. Maybe a better question would be, "should a Teacher of scripture believe in the Genesis account of creation?" After all, it is he that sets forth doctrine.
      The question is worded correctly. You have the option of yes or no. I take it you voted no.

Comment

The question probes deeper than the one you asked. What if the Genesis account is not communicating what you think it is? Secondly, I believe the pronouns in the voting options are incorrect; should not they be "he/she should not" instead of "I do not"?

Comment

Originally posted by MarleVVLL View Post
          The question probes deeper than the one you asked. What if the Genesis account is not communicating what you think it is? Secondly, I believe the pronouns in the voting options are incorrect; should not they be "he/she should not" instead of "I do not"?
          Why do you want to revise my question? The question is simple, and pertains to the beliefs of translators, and whether anyone feels it is relevant to the way a translator applies himself to his translation. It is not a hard question, nor do I have any desire to go deeper than the question itself.

Comment

The question isn't hard to understand.
            I'm a walking paradox, No I'm not.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein

"rest assured, that with a heart that's pure, we'll be victorious and not let our hate get the best of us" - Stick to Your Guns

Comment

You are right, I did not word it correctly. It should have been 1. yes, 2. no, & 3. no, and I do not believe in the Genesis account myself.

Comment

I have no idea what your personal theology is, but I suspect if you are going to reject a translation because of a theological disagreement with one or more of the translators you're going to have a tough time choosing.

Comment

Yes, yes I do...

Comment

Originally posted by crawfish View Post
                    I have no idea what your personal theology is, but I suspect if you are going to reject a translation because of a theological disagreement with one or more of the translators you're going to have a tough time choosing.
                    Does it matter if the translator is the editor of the translation committee?

Comment

Does it matter if the translator is the editor of the translation committee?
                      I'm not concerned at all, as long as the translator is intent on creating an honest translation. I'd be more worried about a translator with an agenda, regardless of their beliefs.

Comment

I believe that a translator's task is to translate the words into what the foreign language phrases mean. The requirement for a translator is honesty, not theology. It should not matter what the translator believes in really, unless he is doing a paraphrase translation.

He does not have to agree with the content of those phrases in order to translate them - if it is to be ultimately and word-for-word translation. When that is done, nobody will actually know what is meant unless the translator knows the intent of the words. He does not have to agree with the teaching, but he has to pass it on honestly.

However, if it is to be a thought-for-thought translation, he has to understand the ideas behind the phrases. He has to know the thoughts in the work. He cannot do an accurate job without the understanding that comes with knowing the lesson being taught, or he'll screw it up. A simple word change can cause a flood of argument.

Many doctrines come about because people believe that they know the truth - regardless of what the sentence says.
                        Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
                        George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Comment

I'm not concerned at all, as long as the translator is intent on creating an honest translation. I'd be more worried about a translator with an agenda, regardless of their beliefs.
                          If a person doesn't believe in the biblical account of Adam, they would have no probem with a translator who doesn't believe either. What amazes me is the number of heads of translation committees that don't believe in the Genesis account of Adam. If the head of the department of theology at, say Yale or Princeton, doesn't believe in the biblical account of Adam, then it is likely that the graduates from those institutions woudn't believe either.

Comment

If a person doesn't believe in the biblical account of Adam, they would have no probem with a translator who doesn't believe either. What amazes me is the number of heads of translation committees that don't believe in the Genesis account of Adam. If the head of the department of theology at, say Yale or Princeton, doesn't believe in the biblical account of Adam, then it is likely that the graduates from those institutions woudn't believe either.
                            Which interpretation of the account of Adam should they have? Even among those who hold a young-earth view, there is some wide discrepancy in the details they believe. For instance: some believe in no death at all for any animal, some accept animal death.

Comment

Which interpretation of the account of Adam should they have? Even among those who hold a young-earth view, there is some wide discrepancy in the details they believe. For instance: some believe in no death at all for any animal, some accept animal death.
                              Why confuse the issue? The issue is whether one believes the words of Genesis. If you believe Adam had an ancestor you don't believe the bible. If you don't believe the bible you are an unbeliever and without faith.

Comment

Working...
                              X