81.25%
    No
    12.50%
    view poll (me only please)
    6.25%

The poll is expired.

I didnt know the link didnt work

Re: Are you required to forgive someone

Forgiveness is for you...not for the other person. Do you wish to hold on to a wrong someone has committed against you? If so, then unforgiveness is the perfect path...and it leads to bitterness, resentment, and anger (which is likened by Jesus to murder.) Your call. You want to forgive them? Gitterdun!

blessings,

Watchman
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Comment

Are you required to forgive someone who hasn't asked? No. In fact, there are times when such forgiveness is inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Watchman View Post
        Forgiveness is for you...not for the other person. Do you wish to hold on to a wrong someone has committed against you? If so, then unforgiveness is the perfect path...and it leads to bitterness, resentment, and anger (which is likened by Jesus to murder.) Your call. You want to forgive them? Gitterdun!

blessings,

Watchman
        Indeed so, forgiveness sets you free
        The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
        God plants in our hearts
        to remind us
        there are better things ahead.
        -Holley Gerth

Comment

Originally posted by Watchman View Post

blessings,

Watchman
          Ah, yep!!!

Great post, Watchman!
          I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
          - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

No. In certain extreme cases it can even bring the Lord's judgment (i.e. correction) toward yourself.ter

But as mentioned earlier as a matter of your own heart yes.
            "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
            C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
            "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
            "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
            "Our Hope is unchanged"
            "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
              Are you required to forgive someone who hasn't asked? No. In fact, there are times when such forgiveness is inappropriate.
              Would you draw a distinction between forgiveness and reconciliation?

Comment

Originally posted by BroRog View Post
                Would you draw a distinction between forgiveness and reconciliation?
                You can't reconcile with someone who doesn't want to.

If someone is your enemy and is actively trying to harm/injure/kill you, you have no obligation to forgive them for their past attempts. Worse, forgiving them may enable them to do more damage.

I thought those people running around "forgiving" OBL after 9/11 were behaving in a most inappropriate manner.

OTOH, if someone cuts you off in traffic, yeah, let it go.

It's important to draw distinctions between the two situations.

Comment

Forgiveness is simply giving up my right to get even. It in no way justified or ratifies the action that created the wrong. It also has nothing to do with whether I thereafter work for justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
                    You can't reconcile with someone who doesn't want to.

If someone is your enemy and is actively trying to harm/injure/kill you, you have no obligation to forgive them for their past attempts. Worse, forgiving them may enable them to do more damage.

I thought those people running around "forgiving" OBL after 9/11 were behaving in a most inappropriate manner.

OTOH, if someone cuts you off in traffic, yeah, let it go.

It's important to draw distinctions between the two situations.
                    Yes, I fully agree. Our forgiveness, if given, should not be interpreted as approval. I think a willingness to forgive, if not yet given, leaves the door open for peace. I think Israel should be commended for that attitude. Sadly, I think she will eventually be forced by her enemies to close that door. It isn't easy to know when, whether we are talking about interpersonal relationships or international ones.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                      Forgiveness is simply giving up my right to get even. It in no way justified or ratifies the action that created the wrong. It also has nothing to do with whether I thereafter work for justice.
                      Totally agree and this is a good point to remember. Thanks.

Comment

How about this...can you forgive someone but still hope he is burning in hell? I've forgiven my father (I think) but I also seek comfort knowing he is paying an eternal price for his wrongs (there were many of them).
                        I know what I know
                        I know what I don't know
                        I don't know what I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Realist1981 View Post
                          Who hasn't asked for forgiveness?
                          Jesus discussed this issue with His Disciples...

Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.
                          {Luke 17 KJV}

Comment

Originally posted by ndibari View Post
                            How about this...can you forgive someone but still hope he is burning in hell? I've forgiven my father (I think) but I also seek comfort knowing he is paying an eternal price for his wrongs (there were many of them).
                            Interesting question. If Rabbiknife is right, and I think he is, forgiveness is giving up your right to seek retribution or revenge. Would it have been okay with you if God had done the same thing? That is, what if God also forgave your father?

I'm not going to judge either way. I'm just askin'

Comment

Originally posted by ndibari View Post
                              No, you can't.

Forgiveness is giving up your right for vengance. Vengance is God's, not ours.

As long as we "hope" or "seek comfort" in the eternal torment of someone else, we are saying to God "You're justice is not enough for me. I demand my pound of flesh."

It is, purely and simply, rebellion.

Comment

Working...
                              X