No announcement yet.

Ex-christian - is there such a thing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-christian - is there such a thing ?

I may as well start this off.

When people say, "I used to be a christian" - I doubt they were ever a christian to start. We're not talking about people who backslide or "a sin which easily besets". This is about those who completely reject christianity - return to their former life of sin and disobedience - practically becoming an atheist.

Can this REALLY happen ? What say you ? (yes, that's a reference to Lord of the Rings)
    Yes
    38.24%
    No, they were never a christian to start
    41.18%
    No, but not sure how
    0.00%
    Yes, but they have lost their salvation
    20.59%

The poll is expired.

I say: yes. Because it's far too easy to say, "They were never Christian to begin with" when I've seen it happen multiple times from people were very much spiritually alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
      I say: yes. Because it's far too easy to say, "They were never Christian to begin with" when I've seen it happen multiple times from people were very much spiritually alive.
      I remember when I first read HEB 6 (4?). That terrified me because I thought the slightest little slip...then I heard a teacher put it in context saying it refers to someone who rejects Christ so completely, it would require Him to die on the cross again. Some say this is not possible today but I wonder what's different from the time this verse was written and today ?

Just like many churches with altar calls, the "rededication". For me these are people who Paul spoke of the sin that so easily besets.

I've never met an ex-christian myself -- maybe I have and didn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by markinro View Post

Can this REALLY happen ? What say you ?
        yes, it can....

I had a friend,,,, past tense as he withdrew completely when he chose this ex-Christian status
        This friend taught me about worship, how to worship in spirit and in truth....
        .... and then one day he just said to me.... I no longer can say "No" to this old behavior that stands knocking at my door.... and because he knew what it meant to be a Christian, he chose the ex~ status

So, yes, sadly it does happen.

I also find that people say: Christianity is but one of many 'religions' and since we have been introduced to them,,,, choose to believe differently and thus became ex~

Unfortunately I believe that Christians will have a LOT to answer for those we have pushed away from Christianity ..... living under the banner of being a Christian, but not bearing the fruit of one... some people become ex~ because of the treatment by Christians..

Others, can not abide by the responsibility of being a Christian, living the life expected of a Christian, and then rather choose to be an ex~... cause it gives them the freedom to live a life of sin,,,

So basically people who knows the 'rules' of being a Christian, but feel they can not live up to them..... and decide then to rather not say that they are Christian ...so that they can live a life of sin without feeling guilty for it...
        The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
        God plants in our hearts
        to remind us
        there are better things ahead.
        -Holley Gerth

Comment

Can this REALLY happen ? What say you ? (yes, that's a reference to Lord of the Rings)
          It is actually estimated that anywhere between 50%-90% of people who become Christian (i.e. have a born again experience) fall away (I think Barna even did some research).

Most of my friends became Christians while they were young, believed but gradually fell away. Some people become Christian when it is easy, and when forced to experience the difficult parts of being a Christian just left because it caused them to leave their comfort zone.

Comment

Why are we so cconvinced that people who are now ex-Christians WERE really saved in nthe first place? Don't you think all the other disciples felt Judas was one of them? They ALL said at the last supper "Is it I?" - NO ONE said "Is it him?" He appeared to all intents and purposes to have been a true disciple - he even preached the gospel with the others and was involved in "deliverance ministry" - yet all the time he was a devil...

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
              .. yet all the time he was a devil...
              Nope, not all the time Lk 22:3 Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.
              Only at at a later time did Satan take hold of him....
              The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
              God plants in our hearts
              to remind us
              there are better things ahead.
              -Holley Gerth

Comment

I must admit this scares the pants off me. I don't think I know any "ex Christians." When I was a witch I would have classed myself as an "ex Christian", although I'd never been born again, and had no idea what that meant.

But when I hear people talking about folks who love God falling away, folks who were definitely born again straying, I worry, for myself and for my son.

Then I think... hang on... my salvation isn't about me, it's about GOD, and my fears don't bring glory to Him, they just make me distrust Him. The devil simply wants me to be afraid.

So... I voted no, it's impossible to be an "ex" Christian. I may be wrong. But I sincerely hope not. Because my own strength would leave me dead in a ditch. I have to trust that He meant it when He said, "I am with you always, even till the end of the world."
                Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Originally posted by ACCM View Post
                  Nope, not all the time Lk 22:3 Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.
                  Only at at a later time did Satan take hold of him....
                  I was thinking more of this verse, which happened much earlier on in Jesus' ministry

Jesus answered them and said "Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?" Jn 6:70 NKJV

Comment

Yes I'd say it was possible. In the Pagan world I've encountered many many people who call themselves ex-Christians, and in fact described myself as the same. Some of them I suspect were never born again, but some were, and I was. I vehemently described myself as an ex-Christian. I absolutely hated Jesus with a vitriol that astonishes me now, but I had become bitter with Him and eventually walked away. I never ever thought I would come back, but He called me back. So please don't be quick to decide no 'exes' ever had a relationship with Jesus; that isn't true.

While I was still a Pagan, I encountered two evangelistic approaches from Christians. The first decided I had never been a Christian, and that infuriated me because it simply wasn't true. The second effective one took the approach 'You used to run so well; what hindered you?' It was this second approach which helped me really examine what had gone wrong, and it was done with a lot of love and patience and challenge. It bore fruit in my case.

Think of the Prodigal Son; the father never said 'I refuse to let you leave.' He allowed the prodigal son his freedom until after a period of time his eyes were opened and he remembered where he had come from. In my case it took 8 years, and in all that time I was an ex-Christian; I wasn't a backslidden Christian. As to where I'd've ended up if I'd died during that time - it was Jesus speaking to me that eventually brought me back, but He didn't speak words of comfort. They were a stern judgement and a warning to me in the midst of a coven ritual. I have to consider the possibility that I would've gone to Hell because He spoke of my choosing to go to a place where I would never be able to hear Him. I think there reaches a point where one's heart is so hardened that repentance is not a possibility, and undergoing initiation in the coven would've been that crossing-line for me personally, because an entity had just expressed interest in being invoked into me. If you stare into the abyss, something stares back.

I don't fear falling away again because my experiences have shown me the sheer power of grace (I don't mean by that a cavalier attitude, simply that I rely on Him because I know my own tendencies and it is He who impels me to follow Him). God's much more clever and patient than I am, and His timing is perfect. I've lived consciously without Jesus but with memories of Him, and it's not a place I intend to go to again because there is no peace for an ex-Christian. Something has changed in them by virtue of having been born again, and they walk around with an awareness of a wound that will never heal unless they come back.

Comment

I don't understand the truth behind this; but it grieves me when people come to CA and declare that they were a Christian and now are not. Yet there seems to be something in them that longs to come back.
                      Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
                      23 Guard your heart above all else,
                      for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadWarrior View Post
                        I don't understand the truth behind this; but it grieves me when people come to CA and declare that they were a Christian and now are not. Yet there seems to be something in them that longs to come back.
                        I think Bethany67's testimony is an excellent example of the experience of a true child of God who has rejected the faith for a while - I know of at least one other person on these boards who has had the same experience and know of others in my life too. However, as one preacher explained to a group of us about 20 years ago, whether someone has never been saved, is backslidden or has decided to give up - the remedy is the same for all - repent and come back to the cross!

Comment

When I was an occultist I have meet a few who have left Christ; most have done so because they see the behaviour of the church and in rejecting that they also reject Christ.
                          This group seem to carry the pain of grief. They tend to use the braodest vernicular language to describe the church but often stay short of using the same language to describe Christ.
                          A far smaller group simply find the teaching of Christ to be anethema to living how they want and they place themselves where God should be in there hearts and they do not care.

Whilst both small groups live and breathe Grace is there if they are willing to turn to Him.
                          Grace is the gift of Christ, who exposes the gulf which separates God and man, and, by exposing it, bridges it. [K Barth]

Comment

If there is not such a thing, you are going to have a hard time with "Apostasy" in the scriptures...
                            For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
                              If there is not such a thing, you are going to have a hard time with "Apostasy" in the scriptures...
                              Apostast is a turning away from holding to the faith intellectually - it's entirely possible for someone to be thoroughly orthodox in their beliefs - and yet still be spiritually dead. If so, they will likely apostasise at some stage - if not, faith without works is dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X