• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mans Makeup (flesh, soul, spirit)

What is the makeup of man?
    What happens when you die?
    What happens on resurrection?

Re: Mans Makeup (flesh, soul, spirit)

1. Body of dust and spirit / breath of life make a living soul.

2. Body returns to dust, the spirit / breath returns to God.

3. God restores spirit to the body, the body comes to life, and stands in the judgment.
    To This Day

Comment

The body is made up of many parts - billions if you count the cells individually.

The soul is made up of three parts;
      1. Mind - the thinking organ
      2. Emotions - the feeling organ
      3. Will - the deciding organ

The spirit is also made of three parts
      1. The conscience
      2. Intuition
      3. Fellowship

The heart (not the physical one, but the one we must love the Lord with with all power) is made of three parts of the soul and one of the spirit
      1. The mind
      2. The emotions
      3. The will
      4. The conscience

When you die your three parts are torn from each other. The spirit returns to God (Eccl.3:21, 12:7; Lk.23:46; Jn.19:30), the body returns to the elements (Eccl.3:20) and the soul goes to Hades under the earth to await resurrection (Matt.12:40; Eph.4:9-10).

At resurrection your soul ascends (rises - from which we get the word resurrection) from Hades, your spirit return from God, and they both meet a renewed body on the surface of the earth (1st Ki.17:22; Lk.8:55).

Hope this helps

Comment

My question might be, if taken literal, what might a disembodied soul look like upon death?

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
        24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Revelation 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
        Revelation 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

From these passages alone, we could conclude the following. Disembodied souls have eyes, tongues, and fingers according to Luke 16:23-24. According to the Revelation passages, they have hands and can be clothed with robes.

This is assuming all of this is meaning in the literal sense. But if none of this is meaning in the literal sense, then exactly how are some envisioning disembodied souls after they have left the body? And if disembodied souls all already have literal eyes, tongues, fingers, hands, and literal robes they can be clothed with, why do they still need a body in the future as well?

Don't ask me. I can't help but ponder these things every now and then. Kind of makes me wonder at times, some of the things we believe, whether it really makes a lick of sense afterall, after thinking thru things a little deeper?

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Really helped.

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post

Don't ask me. I can't help but ponder these things every now and then. Kind of makes me wonder at times, some of the things we believe, whether it really makes a lick of sense afterall, after thinking thru things a little deeper?
            Can i ask what your faith is resting on, if you are so easily shaken by such a vague topic. Seems you are leaning towards a naturalistic worldview or at least starting to ?

Asking out of concern my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by wb380 View Post
              What is the makeup of man?
              What happens when you die?
              What happens on resurrection?
              You have asked three questions pertaining to three different things according to scripture. The makeup of Man is Spirit Soul and Body...that is the only answer there is for question. Question 2 What happens when one dies??????? your Spirit goes back to God who owns it and is not in heaven b/c God is everywhere. Question 3 What happens on resurrection????? we get a GlorifiedBody like Jesus had when He arose again after three days.
              Answers to question 1 are simple to follow in scripture. Answers to questions 2 and 3 take a very deep and time consuming study in scripture.

God Bless,

Dave
              In Christ Love

BCF

2 Peter 1:20-21:

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation. For prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

Search and believe the Scripture, before you believe anything man tells you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
                Can i ask what your faith is resting on, if you are so easily shaken by such a vague topic. Seems you are leaning towards a naturalistic worldview or at least starting to ?

Asking out of concern my friend.

Why do you assume I'm easily shaken by this topic? I'm simply saying the majority of us, including myself, believe souls either go to heaven or hell when they die, awaiting resurrection and judgment. According to those passages I provided, if taken literal about departed souls, this means they have body parts, such as tongues, fingers, etc. Why should that cause you concern if I choose to ponder things like that? No way do I believe souls have body parts. So my point would be, maybe souls don't go anywhere after a person has died, the fact the other things mentioned about souls shouldn't be understood as literal. Who knows then, maybe they sleep afterall. But don't take that to mean that is what I'm concluding, since I'm not. But at the same time, I'm trying to make sense of it all.

Explain to me what you mean by a naturalistic worldview, since I'm not familiar with what that means. After telling me the meaning, I will then tell you if I honestly see myself fitting that profile.

As far as these ponderings...I've been reading the Bible off and on for decades now. These pondering aren't anything new with me. So it's not like I'm just now thinking thru some of this.

Comment

Why do you assume I'm easily shaken by this topic? I'm simply saying the majority of us, including myself, believe souls either go to heaven or hell when they die, awaiting resurrection and judgment. According to those passages I provided, if taken literal about departed souls, this means they have body parts, such as tongues, fingers, etc. Why should that cause you concern if I choose to ponder things like that? No way do I believe souls have body parts. So my point would be, maybe souls don't go anywhere after a person has died, the fact the other things mentioned about souls shouldn't be understood as literal. Who knows then, maybe they sleep afterall. But don't take that to mean that is what I'm concluding, since I'm not. But at the same time, I'm trying to make sense of it all.

Explain to me what you mean by a naturalistic worldview, since I'm not familiar with what that means. After telling me the meaning, I will then tell you if I honestly see myself fitting that profile.

As far as these ponderings...I've been reading the Bible off and on for decades now. These pondering aren't anything new with me. So it's not like I'm just now thinking thru some of this.
                  I share your sentiments to a degree. The Lord has erected a barrier between the living and the dead and when He erects a barrier it is a barrier. Consider the following;
                  • The Law of Moses called for the death of a Necromancer
                  • The single result of calling Samuel up was death within a day for Saul
                  • The various people who were resurrected in scripture are not recorded in their views
                  • Our Lord Jesus never spoke about His stay in Hades
                  • Paul states that to report on his trip to Hades was "unlawful"

So it is clear that The Lord wants this great gulf between the living and the dead. But what little information He does allow, especially that of Lazarus and the rich man, produces information and produces speculation, because nobody actually can report what it is like to be in Hades. What we can experience though, now in this life, is the tremendous power of the soul to feel, calculate and decide (emotions, mind and will). From the simple actions of working through our day to the power of suggestion that top athletes use, the soul is multifunctional and very real. So maybe we, in our lack of experience of Hades, underestimate the abilities of the soul when it has been sundered from the body and spirit. Could it be that it is actually "liberated" in a sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post
                    From the simple actions of working through our day to the power of suggestion that top athletes use, the soul is multifunctional and very real. So maybe we, in our lack of experience of Hades, underestimate the abilities of the soul when it has been sundered from the body and spirit. Could it be that it is actually "liberated" in a sense?
                    Let me add here something that helped me a little in these ponderings. The sense that a soul is "liberated" is a dualistic notion. Dualism holds that the material world (that which is made of matter and exists in this universe) is bad or imperfect or imperfectable; so the soul thus is trapped within a material body (a body of matter) and death fixes the condition by separating the perfectable from imperfection. But the Bible tells us that while death promotes us to a new state, a state that is desirable (for the Christian), it also is a temporal state waiting for the reunification of our soul to a quickened body in the resurrection to become complete, or perfected. This stands apart from dualism which places no value on a perfected eternal body, soul, and spirit; but rather finds completion, or "liberation" in the event of death.
                    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

No probs, as i said it was out of concern not an attack. I assumed you were easily shaken by these words you wrote " Kind of makes me wonder at times, some of the things we believe, whether it really makes a lick of sense afterall, after thinking thru things a little deeper?"

If when you think things through a little deeper they dont make a lick of sense, how can you say your faith is not shaken ? Are you ok with believing things that dont make a lick of sense to you....is that even possible ?.

Seemed to me that you were having trouble, but if i got that wrong ...sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                        Let me add here something that helped me a little in these ponderings. The sense that a soul is "liberated" is a dualistic notion. Dualism holds that the material world (that which is made of matter and exists in this universe) is bad or imperfect or imperfectable, so the soul thus is trapped within a material body (a body of matter) and death fixes the condition. But the Bible tells us that while death promotes us to a new state, a state that is desirable (for the Christian), it also is a temporal state waiting for the reunification of our soul to a quickened body in the resurrection to become complete, or perfected. This stands apart from dualism which places no value on a perfected eternal body, soul, and spirit; but rather finds completion, or "liberation" in the event of death.
                        Yes. I ran the risk of that one by musing. That is why I put "liberated" in inverted commas. You are absolutely correct. 2nd Corinthians 5 clearly shows what you have said above. I meant what I said more from the point of view that it is the sundered soul of man that can experience either "paradise" as did the criminal on the cross, or suffering as did the rich man in Luke 16. No matter how good (in the sense of bliss) a life one has on this earth, the bible never even comes close to saying that it could be paradise. Yet in the sundered condition of death the soul can (and does in the case of believers) experience "paradise" in Hades (Lk.23:43).

But your comments also show how narrow the margin is between speculation and false doctrine. I'll be even more careful in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post
                          But your comments also show how narrow the margin is between speculation and false doctrine. I'll be even more careful in the future.
                          I mention it because I have been guilty and likewise glad to try to be more careful in my words on the subject.
                          Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

There are many Christians that believe man is composed of spirit, soul and body.

There are just as many Christians that believe man is composed of body and soul.

The debate goes on ad nauseum.

Here's what we should all agree on.

Man is composed of a corporeal (flesh) component, and a non-corporeal (non-flesh) component. Whether the non-corporeal part is divisible further is academic. At death (as we understand it), the corporeal part dies and the incorporeal part goes somewhere. If we believe the teachings of Jesus and Paul, that incorporeal part goes immediately into the presence of Jesus.

At the resurrection of the dead, the two parts will be reunited, although the corporeal part with be gloriously changed into an immortal body like that of Jesus'.

Anything else is, for the most part, either a design of our own self-delusion or speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                              There are many Christians that believe man is composed of spirit, soul and body.

There are just as many Christians that believe man is composed of body and soul.

The debate goes on ad nauseum.

Here's what we should all agree on.

Man is composed of a corporeal (flesh) component, and a non-corporeal (non-flesh) component. Whether the non-corporeal part is divisible further is academic. At death (as we understand it), the corporeal part dies and the incorporeal part goes somewhere. If we believe the teachings of Jesus and Paul, that incorporeal part goes immediately into the presence of Jesus.

At the resurrection of the dead, the two parts will be reunited, although the corporeal part with be gloriously changed into an immortal body like that of Jesus'.

Anything else is, for the most part, either a design of our own self-delusion or speculation.
                              While I applaud your attempt at conciliation, I must say that these parts of man are dealt with comprehensively in scripture. What their destiny is, is vital to our Christian walk. For instance in 1st Peter 1:9-10; "... receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls. Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you."

What happens to the body is equally important because the bodies of Christians make up the Body of Christ (1st Corinthians 6:15, 12:12, 18). If the body has no future, Christ's Body has no future. That is why our Lord said in Matthew 16:18; "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." The Gates of Hades keep the souls of dead men locked away. And as long as they are locked in Hades the Church suffers loss as the bodies of men are but dust, not "living stones" for this House (1st Pet.2:5). Added to this, in Romans 8:23 we are constantly groaning for the redemption of our bodies. This scripture gives us hope that our anguish will one day be stilled.

Comment

Working...
                              X