Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Witch of Endor

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Witch of Endor

    1 Samuel 28 11-13

    Then the woman asked, "Whom shall I bring up for you?"
    "Bring up Samuel," he said.

    When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out at the top of her voice and said to Saul, "Why have you deceived me? You are Saul!" The king said to her, "Don't be afraid. What do you see?"
    The woman said, "I see a spirit [a] coming up out of the ground


    Why did the witch react the way she did when she conjured Samuel? Why was she scared? I thought being a witch who speaks to/with Spirits that she would be accustomed to them? Maybe she practiced evil witchery and this was the first time something happened. If so, it must have been from God. But then this brings up another question. Why would God allow this to happen when He says not to?

    Dueteronomy 18:10-11

    10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in [a] the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.

    2 Chronicles 33:6

    6 He sacrificed his sons in [a] the fire in the Valley of Ben Hinnom, practiced sorcery, divination and witchcraft, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, provoking him to anger.

    btw I wasn't sure if I should've put this in the New in Christ section since I'm newbie.

  • #2
    Wait......no Ewoks in this story?

    I believe she was scared because: A. she didn't know it was Saul, and B. Saul had outlawed this pratice.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by David161099 View Post
      Wait......no Ewoks in this story?

      I believe she was scared because: A. she didn't know it was Saul, and B. Saul had outlawed this pratice.
      saul already explained to her he wouldn't kill her, in fact he disguised himself because he didn't want to be recognized. sorry i forgot to quote that earlier, so i dont think she was scared because of that. as for a. she didnt know it was saul, i didnt catch that. thanks for bringing that up. why would she not know it was saul? saul was there the whole time. im kind of lost with this whole thing the more i think about it. is samuel speaking through this woman and who's seeing who?

      Comment


      • #4
        I was thinking that for the most part they were just using tricks and wit to get paid for doing "magic". And when they rarely saw a miracle from God they were just as suprised as anyone.

        Comment


        • #5
          yeah thats make sense i was thinking along those lines too, that the witch was getting by with her little tricks, nothing real just for spooks that sorta thing, until she met with Saul and saw Samuel. so, this was really samuel speaking and this is God's doing. Why? i thought God had forbidden such things as witchery and sorcery?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by HisLove View Post
            Why? i thought God had forbidden such things as witchery and sorcery?
            It's also possible the lady knew what she was doing I guess.
            But seams to me Saul breaking down and going to the so called witch was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. Which caused Samuel to rise and give word again that he was to step down as king.

            Either way I bet the word got out quick about that little get together and Sauls stubbornness was about to come to a end.

            Comment


            • #7
              She didn't know that it was Sual, because he had disguised himself. When she cast the spell his identity was revealed to her by the spirit.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by David161099 View Post
                She didn't know that it was Sual, because he had disguised himself. When she cast the spell his identity was revealed to her by the spirit.
                I guess its possible yea which spell is that ? lizard toes and slug brains?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by David161099 View Post
                  She didn't know that it was Sual, because he had disguised himself. When she cast the spell his identity was revealed to her by the spirit.
                  bingo! i re-read it again. yes, it seems she didn't know it was saul. since saul had disguised himself, he didnt reveal himself to her until she saw samuel. well, saul didn't purposely reveal himself, she found out. and this explains why she was scared. because she saw king saul who was against evil practices. she was scared of saul, not really the spirit of Samuel.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by David161099 View Post
                    Wait......no Ewoks in this story?

                    I was disappointed also

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by HisLove View Post
                      1 Samuel 28 11-13

                      Then the woman asked, "Whom shall I bring up for you?"
                      "Bring up Samuel," he said.

                      When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out at the top of her voice and said to Saul, "Why have you deceived me? You are Saul!" The king said to her, "Don't be afraid. What do you see?"
                      The woman said, "I see a spirit [a] coming up out of the ground


                      Why did the witch react the way she did when she conjured Samuel? Why was she scared? I thought being a witch who speaks to/with Spirits that she would be accustomed to them? Maybe she practiced evil witchery and this was the first time something happened. If so, it must have been from God. But then this brings up another question. Why would God allow this to happen when He says not to?

                      Dueteronomy 18:10-11

                      10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in [a] the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.

                      2 Chronicles 33:6

                      6 He sacrificed his sons in [a] the fire in the Valley of Ben Hinnom, practiced sorcery, divination and witchcraft, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, provoking him to anger.

                      btw I wasn't sure if I should've put this in the New in Christ section since I'm newbie.

                      because she was fake, as are all soothsayers, when Samuel manifested, she was afraid she had actually conjured up his spirit and to find out that it was Saul in disquised and and knowing the law that was put before him made matters even worse.
                      It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X