Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contacting the blood of Jesus

Originally posted by someone in another thread
    In every account, people are baptized so that they can come into contact with the blood of Jesus. Baptism is essential to baptism. That is what the Scriptures teach.
    I've heard this for years, yet do not find it in scripture. Where in scripture is the teaching that one contacts the blood of Christ in water baptism?

Thanks,

Watchman
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Re: Contacting the blood of Jesus

Originally posted by Watchman View Post
    I've heard this for years, yet do not find it in scripture. Where in scripture is the teaching that one contacts the blood of Christ in water baptism?

Thanks,

Watchman
    Hello, "someone from another thread"

Romans 6:4 (KJV)
    4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

As Christ was raised from the dead through the glorious strength of God to a new life, we were raised to walk no more in the sins that have been put off in baptism, but were raised [from the watery burial with death between us and the old life of sin] to walk in the new life in Christ. He is still showing why we cannot sin that grace may abound.

Colossians 2:12 (KJV)
    12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

The putting off the body of the flesh or the true spiritual circumcision was effected by being buried with Him in baptism. This means that they were dead to sin through faith in Christ.

We were also raised with him in baptism. In this act the sins were removed, as by circumcision the flesh was cut off. The language is taken from the coming up out of the water which is associated with the fact of Christ's resurrection, which is referred to. Christ went down into the grave, but came up again.

So the believer disappears under the waters of baptism. This is a side not presented in circumcision. In baptism there is an exhibition of the fact that we are born anew. This new life we get in union with Christ. The working of God is displayed in raising Christ from the dead. It is to he taken in connection with the removal of sin which operated in Christ's death. Christ rose from the dead possessor of a new and endless life.

If we take as the object of our faith the working which raised Christ from the dead, we shall become sharers with him in the same new and endless life,
    through faith in the working of God. They were both buried and raised with Christ in baptism, by the working of faith in God. Baptism means nothing without faith. It is only as faith recognizes a risen Savior that the act of baptism becomes of spiritual significance, and rising with Christ becomes an actual spiritual experience. who raised him from the dead. God's working is here set forth as the object of the believing, not as the cause.

The truth about baptism is that when we are baptized for the forgiveness of our sins, we are coming in contact, spiritually speaking, with the blood of Jesus Christ. In Ephesians 1:7 the Bible says, “In Him,” talking about Christ, “we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins according to the riches of His grace.” It's through the precious blood of Jesus Christ that we can be forgiven, and it's at baptism that we are contacting the blood of Jesus Christ spiritually speaking. Colossians 1:14 says, “In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.”
    All scripture quoted from KJV

Comment

Scripture does not say this.

The clearest exposition on the meaning of baptism (aside from 'repent and be baptized') is Romans 6, where Paul speaks of how baptism is communion with Jesus' death and resurrection, a symbol of our 'death to sin' in the present and resurrection in the future. A few other, briefer statements suggest baptism brings us into communion with the Church as a whole (since it is the 'body of Christ').

At no point is baptism said to bring us 'into contact with the blood of Jesus'.

But I would point out... unless I'm mistaken, this someone in another thread appears to be saying that baptism is necessary to 'come into contact with the blood of Jesus'. The quote doesn't actually say they come into contact with the blood at the time of​ baptism.
      To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
        Scripture does not say this.

The clearest exposition on the meaning of baptism (aside from 'repent and be baptized') is Romans 6, where Paul speaks of how baptism is communion with Jesus' death and resurrection, a symbol of our 'death to sin' in the present and resurrection in the future. A few other, briefer statements suggest baptism brings us into communion with the Church as a whole (since it is the 'body of Christ').

At no point is baptism said to bring us 'into contact with the blood of Jesus'.

But I would point out... unless I'm mistaken, this someone in another thread appears to be saying that baptism is necessary to 'come into contact with the blood of Jesus'. The quote doesn't actually say they come into contact with the blood at the time of​ baptism.

Romans 6:3 (KJV)
        3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

By being "baptized into Christ" we become, as it were, one with Him; so whatever He did, we do. When He died, we died with Him. We are, then, dead to our former state. Burial always signifies existing death, as only the dead are literally buried. When people yield themselves to obey the gospel of Christ, they die to sin, cease to love and practice sin, and, are dead to sin when buried with Christ in baptism.

Christ died for our sins and when dead was buried in the grave. So we are buried in baptism just as Christ was buried in the grave. We are buried with Christ into a fixed state of death to sin and at the same time into a state of life in relation to Christ. So the death spoken of is death to sin, a state of relationship in which we are dead to our former lives of sin, as Christ was forever dead to his former life of suffering from the moment He died on the cross.

As Christ arose to a new life, never more to die, so Christians, when raised from a watery grave, should shun lives of sin. He says: "Even so reckon ye your selves to be dead unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ Jesus." (Verse 11.) And while Christians are to continue in a state of death to sin, they must also continue in a state of life to Christ.

Comment

Yeah...

I agree with all of that, I think. But I don't see where it says baptism means 'coming into contact with the blood of Jesus'.
          To This Day

Comment

I'll add my later today, or tomorrow. I want to choose my words prayerfully and carefully, though. Some here have gotten the idea that I despise the Churches of Christ. I do not. I do passionately disagree with some of their teachings, but I love the people. They are my sisters and brothers in Christ. 'Nuf said. I'll be back later.

W

Comment

Actually, the only thing I might add to what has already been written is this: yes, we are cleansed by the blood of Christ. Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sins. No, we don't ever 'contact' His blood in water baptism. This is not taught in scripture. I've heard it taught by one group only, but that doesn't mean it isn't taught by anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Watchman View Post
                Actually, the only thing I might add to what has already been written is this: yes, we are cleansed by the blood of Christ. Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sins. No, we don't ever 'contact' His blood in water baptism. This is not taught in scripture. I've heard it taught by one group only, but that doesn't mean it isn't taught by anyone else.
                Hey Andy, I know you're thrilled to see me back, once again. .

Would you not agree that you can't separate Christ from his blood? Gal. 3;26-27 says we put on Christ in baptism. Rom. 6:3-4 mentions being buried with him in baptism. If we are buried with him and put him on in baptism how can that not include His blood?
                "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness : That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. II Tim. 3:16,17.

Comment

Put on Christ spiritually. Show me the blood of the spirit, we'll talk.
                  Putting on Christ, is quite different than putting on the BODY of Christ.
                  Who is Jesus Tony?
                  God incarnate. The body of man, Spirit of God.
                  When we put on Christ, spiritually, no body, no blood.
                  It goes hand in glove with the other catch phrases being tossed around in this thread so casually.
                  Death, burial and resurrection.Show me the verse that has these three connected.

Watery grave is my favorite.

Jesus was not buried at sea. He wasn't even buried, He was entombed, above ground.

He was entombed physically, buried Spiritually.
                  Still, no watery grave. Dry cave.

You want a physical baptism for receiving the Holy Spirit? Do it in a DRY cave.

Taking on Christ is taking on Christ the Son, not Christ the man.
                  Last edited by TomH; Feb 2nd 2013, 05:41 AM. Reason: Edited to add
                  Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Originally posted by TomH View Post
                    Put on Christ spiritually. Show me the blood of the spirit, we'll talk.

Putting on Christ, is quite different than putting on the BODY of Christ.
                    Of course it's spiritual. You can't physically contact the blood nor can you physically contact the body. That's what Gal. 3:26-27 is all about. When we submit to baptism, we put Him on Spiritually.

Originally posted by TomH
                    Who is Jesus Tony?

God incarnate. The body of man, Spirit of God.
                    OK

When we put on Christ, spiritually, no body, no blood.
                    I answered this above. See also Dillegence's comments above on this subject.

Death, burial and resurrection.
                    Show me the verse that has these three connected.
                    1Co 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
                    1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
                    1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
                    1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Watery grave is my favorite.
                    Jesus was not buried at sea. He wasn't even buried, He was entombed, above ground.

You want a physical baptism for receiving the Holy Spirit? Do it in a DRY cave.

Taking on Christ is taking on Christ the Son, not Christ the man.
                    I really believe you are missing the point here Tom, or possibly I'm missing your point.
                    "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness : That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. II Tim. 3:16,17.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Cross View Post
                      Of course it's spiritual. You can't physically contact the blood nor can you physically contact the body. That's what Gal. 3:26-27 is all about. When we submit to baptism, we put Him on Spiritually.
                      Okay Tony, you moonwalk better than Michael Jackson.

Let's go back to your post #8
                      Would you not agree that you can't separate Christ from his blood? Gal. 3;26-27 says we put on Christ in baptism. Rom. 6:3-4 mentions being buried with him in baptism. If we are buried with him and put him on in baptism how can that not include His blood?

Comment

I think I posted this before but when we are baptized we are in direct connection with Jesus' death. Jesus died a bloody death on the cross. We were baptized into his death to sin, became partakers of his death, and so died to sin as he did, and, as members of the body of Christ, we cannot live in sin. Romans 6:3-4

The union with Christ, into which we enter by baptism, is more closely defined as union with his death. This is clearly stated in the following words: "The death that he died to sin once." (6:10.) His death is viewed as the final and complete deliverance from a life, in which, for our sakes, he had been subject to conditions imposed by our sins, and this sense exactly corresponds with the thought which led to the mention of Christ's death. By being "baptized into Christ" we become, as it were, one with him. So whatever he did, we do.

When he died, we died with him. We are, then, dead to our former state. Burial always signifies existing death, as only the dead are literally buried. Christ died for our sins and when dead was buried in the grave. So we are buried in baptism just as Christ was buried in the grave. We are buried with Christ into a fixed state of death to sin and at the same time into a state of life in relation to Christ. So the death spoken of is death to sin, a state of relationship in which we are dead to our former lives of sin, as Christ was forever dead to his former life of suffering from the moment he died on the cross. As Christ arose to a new life, never more to die, so Christians, when raised from a watery grave, should shun lives of sin. He says: "Even so reckon ye your selves to be dead unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ Jesus." (Verse 11.)

Comment

Originally posted by TomH View Post
                          Okay Tony, you moonwalk better than Michael Jackson.
                          Good one Tom, I'll have to try that one on my wife sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilligence View Post
                            Hello, "someone from another thread"

Romans 6:4 (KJV)
                            4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

As Christ was raised from the dead through the glorious strength of God to a new life, we were raised to walk no more in the sins that have been put off in baptism, but were raised [from the watery burial with death between us and the old life of sin] to walk in the new life in Christ. He is still showing why we cannot sin that grace may abound.

Colossians 2:12 (KJV)
                            12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

The putting off the body of the flesh or the true spiritual circumcision was effected by being buried with Him in baptism. This means that they were dead to sin through faith in Christ.

We were also raised with him in baptism. In this act the sins were removed, as by circumcision the flesh was cut off. The language is taken from the coming up out of the water which is associated with the fact of Christ's resurrection, which is referred to. Christ went down into the grave, but came up again.

So the believer disappears under the waters of baptism. This is a side not presented in circumcision. In baptism there is an exhibition of the fact that we are born anew. This new life we get in union with Christ. The working of God is displayed in raising Christ from the dead. It is to he taken in connection with the removal of sin which operated in Christ's death. Christ rose from the dead possessor of a new and endless life.

If we take as the object of our faith the working which raised Christ from the dead, we shall become sharers with him in the same new and endless life,
                            through faith in the working of God. They were both buried and raised with Christ in baptism, by the working of faith in God. Baptism means nothing without faith. It is only as faith recognizes a risen Savior that the act of baptism becomes of spiritual significance, and rising with Christ becomes an actual spiritual experience. who raised him from the dead. God's working is here set forth as the object of the believing, not as the cause.

The truth about baptism is that when we are baptized for the forgiveness of our sins, we are coming in contact, spiritually speaking, with the blood of Jesus Christ. In Ephesians 1:7 the Bible says, “In Him,” talking about Christ, “we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins according to the riches of His grace.” It's through the precious blood of Jesus Christ that we can be forgiven, and it's at baptism that we are contacting the blood of Jesus Christ spiritually speaking. Colossians 1:14 says, “In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.”
                            I disagree very much with this interpretation of Romans 6. Where do people come up with these interpretations? I'll get back to this later.

Comment

Two questions I have for the water baptism people.
                              You say it's following In the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus.

John 19:29-31
                              New International Version (NIV)
                              29 A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus’ lips. 30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

31 Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath. Because the Jewish leaders did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down.

John 13:32-34
                              New International Version (NIV)
                              32 If God is glorified in him,[a] God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once.

33 “My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come.

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

One, Jesus gave up His Spirit on the cross. Where did His Spirit go?
                              The body of Christ was removed from the cross.
                              Who was in contact with His body and His blood?

Can we follow Jesus in death? Most certainly. It is assigned to man to die once.

Jesus also told His disciples that where He was going, they could not follow.

Here's where your water baptism gets messy.

Jesus' body was entombed. (not buried) He gave up His Spirit (His Spirit was buried, where we cannot follow)

Jesus' body remained above ground in a dark cave. (some symbolism there, at least fit me)

After three days, His Spirit returned to the body in the cave. (from a place we could no follow)

He entered His body, an for a lack of a better term, jump started it, (think Lazarus) Jesus was alive again, both physically AND Spiritually. (again, think REBORN)

So, what can we associate ourselves with with His Spiritual burial?
                              Jesus died for the sins of the world. He took our sins with Him, to the place we cannot follow to forever be buried and forgotten. Jesus conquered death. He returned free of the sins He died for. Was resurrected SIN FREE.

We, as Christians follow Jesus. The sequence of events vary a little.
                              jesus' body saw no decay when His body was entombed. But we will receive NEW bodies upon OUR resurrection. So yes, same, same.

We ARE reborn spiritually, as Jesus was from His resurrection.
                              When we are, through faith, born again, we receive Jesus' baptism of the Holy Spirit.

So, when we repent (turn away from our sins) He is fair and just to forgive us our sins (cleans, or wash us of our sins) symbolically reenacted by water baptism, and baptizes us with the Holy Spirit. Again, REENACTED SYMBOLICALLY, by some faith based churches, with ANOTHER water baptism.

Of course the must ignore the fact that Jesus said, "Where I go, you cannot follow."

Folks, use all the symbolism and reenactment you want, but recognize, and identify it for what it is. Physical symbolism of Spiritual actions.

"Watery grave"? No thank you!

Follow His commandment?
                              Yes I did. Spiritually. And Spiritually, He fulfilled His promise.

Comment

Working...
                              X