Purgatory ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purgatory ?

I do not believe purgatory is in the bible !

I also do not believe in purgatory!

What is your thinking on this ?
    Eph. 2:8
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Re: Purgatory ?

Purgatory is a Catholic invention and I hear the Vatican might be changing their view on it.
    I know what I know
    I know what I don't know
    I don't know what I don't know.

Comment

I Corinthians 3
      14 If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.
      15 If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

I think this is the scripture the Roman Catholic church used to build their doctrine.

I do not know exactly WHAT the Catholic church teaches about purgatory but I would guess it has man-made thoughts added to scripture.
      I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
      - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Purgatory isn't in the Bible...its in Colorado-->snow skiing area.
        Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Comment

Originally posted by Watchman View Post
          Purgatory isn't in the Bible...its in Colorado-->snow skiing area.
          If that's your idea of Purgatory what is heaven like?
          I know what I know
          I know what I don't know
          I don't know what I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
            Much, much better!
            Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Comment

Originally posted by grams View Post
              I do not believe purgatory is in the bible !

I also do not believe in purgatory!

What is your thinking on this ?
              No such place as purgatory, which is an imaginary place Catholics paid money to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

Making it through Purgatory without pulling a Bono.
                Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Comment

It may not be a place to stay but something happens as St. Paul alluded to in Scripture with burning up but we are still saved.

Comment

I personally feel that most of the passages seem to have more to do with how we will experience heaven and rewards we will get there, not a third end. I'm not Catholic, and the Eastern Church has no teachings on purgatory that I am aware of, so I really don't understand this doctrine well enough.
                    ďA human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.Ē
                    -R.A. Heinlein

Comment

In a way the Orthodox does, it's called toll houses. http://orthodoxinfo.com/death/tollhouse_pomaz.aspx. I can't see that in the verse but we all have opinions

Comment

Originally posted by whitetiger View Post
                        In a way the Orthodox does, it's called toll houses. http://orthodoxinfo.com/death/tollhouse_pomaz.aspx. I can't see that in the verse but we all have opinions
                        Point taken (sort of), I maintain it's a tad bit different, but it could be that my understanding of purgatory is off.
                        ďA human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.Ē
                        -R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Vhayes View Post
                          I Corinthians 3
                          14 If any manís work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.
                          15 If any manís work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

I think this is the scripture the Roman Catholic church used to build their doctrine.

I do not know exactly WHAT the Catholic church teaches about purgatory but I would guess it has man-made thoughts added to scripture.
                          In 1 Corinthians 3:15, the Catholic Catechism interprets "the fire" as cleansing and purifying, the soul suffers to make expiation for sin (Catechism, paragraph 1031). However, Paul is speaking about the testing of works and says nothing about the suffering of souls. He is simply teaching that in the Day of Judgment, the works of every Christian will be tested "the fire will test each one's work" and everyone will be rewarded accordingly.

Catholics also use 2 Maccabees 12:38-46 to support purgatory, but the book of Maccabees is apocryphal and is not part of the inspired Scriptures.

You are accursed by the Roman Catholic Church for denying the doctrine of purgatory - If any one says, that, after the grace of Justification has been received, to every penitent sinner the guilt is remitted, and the debt of eternal punishment is blotted out in such wise, that there remains not any debt of temporal punishment to be discharged either in this world, or in the next in purgatory, before the entrance to the kingdom of heaven can be opened to him; let him be anathema (Council of Trent, Session 6).

God's Word says - "Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him" (Romans 5:9). We shall be saved from God's wrath THROUGH HIM, and not because we have personally suffered for our sins in purgatory. The blood of Christ cleanses us from ALL sin (1 John 1:7). Not just some or most of our sins. I completely reject the doctrine of purgatory because it denies the sufficiency of Christ's atonement for sin on the cross.
                          Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

Catholics also use 2 Maccabees 12:38-46 to support purgatory, but the book of Maccabees is apocryphal and is not part of the inspired Scriptures.
                            Maccbees is a part of the Roman Canon and Eastern Canon but not a part of the Protestant Canon.

Comment

Originally posted by mailmandan View Post

Not exactly, it's been part of our canon for millenia, why do you believe it is uninspired?
                              -R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X