Do christians still sin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Do christians still sin?

Recently I met a christian who claimed he does not sin anymore. He said if you really take these verses in the bible which speak about crucifying the flesh and not fulfilling the carnal desires anymore seriously then you can do it.
    Personally I think that everybody who thinks he doesn't sin anymore is totally deceived.
    But the problem is that there are really a lot of verses in the bible which are problematic because they sound as if you don't struggle with sin anymore when you're a christian because your old man is dead and you've put the flesh to death and so on. These things are simply written there but it does not say HOW.
    And I have also listened to sermons where I got the impression that as a real christian you can't have any problems with sin anymore at least not with huge sins and if you don't make progress then you can't be a christian. But what do you do if you don't make progress?
    I was also told by a christian that as a real christian you cannot sin habitually and that you only sin every now and then. Every now and then? Like every month?
    It's basically the whole carnal christian debate. If carnal christians cannot exist then this means everybody who is carnal and struggles with sins can't be a christian.

I f we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (1 John 1:8 KJV)

If we were able to live a sinless life, there would be no need for Christ to have sacrificed.

We are a tripartate being. We have a spirit, soul and body. In spirit, we are raised up with Christ in heavenly places upon salvation, and thus, in spirit, we cannot sin.

But that says nothing of our soul or body. The fact is, every one of us, from the pastor to the toilet cleaner, is a sinful man, and there is absolutely no hope for any of us, outside of Christ and what HE did in our place. We are in the position of ABSOLUTE DEPENDANCE upon the blood of Christ. Without it, we will perish.

Our soul goes through a lifetime of learning, and that learning involves failure. When we learn one lesson, we move on to the next. Little by little we are refined.

For gold to be made pure, it requires going through the fire. The fire melts the gold, and the dross rises to the top, where it is scraped off. Hotter the fire, the more dross is removed.

As we go through the 'fires' of life, when things 'heat up' for us, that is when our 'dross' is scraped away.
    Gradually we learn to walk in authority over our own emotions and desires, but it is a long, slow process.

Comment

Luke 15:7
      "I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance."

When I enter repentance I go so far as to repent the things that I haven't done. And all the times when I could of done better or should of done better but was slack.

But if the person is without sin and they truely do what they are capable of then praise be to them. I would encourge them and take notice but to boast of it isn't to bright.

Comment

I need Christ everyday.
        If you say the lords prayer daily, you ask for forgiveness daily.

Paul didnt find it easy it seems, but he kept running.

For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.
        15 For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.
        16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good.
        17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
        18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.
        19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.
        20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.

21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.
        22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man,
        23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.
        24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?
        25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.
        And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

It is my beleif that once we become Christians that we sin less but are not sinless. When we become Christians we are filled with the Holy Spirit and so being we are convicted by the Holy Spirit when we do something that is not in accordance with God's teachings. I agree with you that someone who thinks that they don't sin because they are a Christian is being decieved. I have also heard Christians who claim that they are without sin.

I like Kahtar's example of the gold. I do think that is how it works.

Comment

I will believe it once I meet a Christian who does not sin....

Comment

I'm not sinless, I just sin less.

Comment

We will never be perfect because we can sin in thought, however I think if we really try, we can be pretty much free of sin from physical standpoint. Everything we do starts with a thought and every thought starts in the mind. We think about sin before we do it. So, if we decide not to do it the we will not sin. There will always be instances beyond our control that may cause sin, but the vast majority of sin we commit could be avoided.

Comment

There's a fancy name for becoming more like God. It's called sanctification.

Whatever you want to call it, I believe to know if you are truly abiding in Christ is to see and know improvement and maturity in your spiritual walk with God, and to have a genuine hatred of sin.

We can't be freed if we still love our sin. And we can't hate our sin unless we ask God to cleanse us. So be honest with God and God will do the work in your heart to help you seek Him and see things through His perspective.

I used to get tripped up in 1 John a lot because it says that true Christians do not sin. If you realize what that means, it's a powerful book. It's actually one of my favorites. True Christians have crucified the sinful nature with Christ which means that they do not WANT to sin. It still happens sometimes but there's victory in Christ!

Comment

Originally posted by JesusMySavior View Post
                    There's a fancy name for becoming more like God. It's called sanctification.

Whatever you want to call it, I believe to know if you are truly abiding in Christ is to see and know improvement and maturity in your spiritual walk with God, and to have a genuine hatred of sin.

We can't be freed if we still love our sin. And we can't hate our sin unless we ask God to cleanse us. So be honest with God and God will do the work in your heart to help you seek Him and see things through His perspective.

I used to get tripped up in 1 John a lot because it says that true Christians do not sin. If you realize what that means, it's a powerful book. It's actually one of my favorites. True Christians have crucified the sinful nature with Christ which means that they do not WANT to sin. It still happens sometimes but there's victory in Christ!

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
                    And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Revelation 22:17)

Comment

I'm a christian, I struggle with sin, I pray, I read God's word, the Holy Spirit convicts my heart, I can't say the Holy Spirit is in me, but I know I'm a christian who struggles with sin and I know through the Grace of God and the priceless gift of Jesus Christ, my sins are forgiven.

Comment

I believe that christians can sin after they have repented of sins.

If you believe that once you have repented of your sins (And it counts for past, present and any future sin), then surely anyone can just say the sinners prayer and then live any sort of life they want to. It doesn't matter becuase thier present and future sins are already forgiven and will be forgiven.

To me thats like, you say a sinners prayer once and then thats it for the rest of your life? No, I just can't get my mind to accept that.

Chad.

Comment

Everybody sins. Christians have the additional misery of knowing it.

Comment

Absolutely! We are still sinner saved by grace.
                            I will sing of your works & your mighty ways
                            My Rock & My Salvation
                            Who will hide me in the time of trouble?
                            Who is like the lord, so full of gace and truth!

Comment

Originally posted by JesusReignsForever View Post
                              Absolutely! We are still sinner saved by grace.
                              Notice saved is in the past tense.

Comment

Working...
                              X