Do you need a man to teach you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you need a man to teach you?

Do you need a man to teach you? This verse should be enough to answer that question. 1Jn 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Re: Do you need a man to teach you?

You really need to read that verse within the context of 1 John and the gnostic problem that John was addressing to the Church.

It may be just a bit more substantive that is seen at first blush. For instance, look a verse or two in advance, and you will see that John is specifically addressing the dangers of false teachers that were trying to lead them astray. We know that the gnostics claimed special hidden knowledge that only they could teach to the uninitiated.

This is what John is pointing out.

Comment

Please use other thread. Not sure why but thread double posted.

Mod can you lock one and move posts?

Comment

We should be taught not by man but from the Word, if man using the Word for teaching we can learn and grow in Christ. If a man is up there teaching without the Spirit guiding him, he will not be able to teach truth.
        Live the Halleluyah life

Comment

Originally posted by atruthseeker View Post
          Do you need a man to teach you? This verse should be enough to answer that question. 1Jn 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Let's look at this from different perspectives. Before I joined this board I used to converse with Arnold Murray students. All of them were convinced Arnold Murray is the greatest Bible teacher to have graced this current age. Is it really a good thing then, that these students are being taught by man? I would say not.

OTOH, if one has good discernment to begin with, then I see nothing wrong with being taught of men, since a smart person would use discernment and check Scriptures to determine whether the teacher's teachings are lining up with Scripture. But not everyone has good discernment to begin with. Then we're back to the former, where these types could easily be led astray by the likes of Arnold Murray, etc.

The question is, what does that verse you provided mean in context?

Comment

Sorry, wrong thread. Haha.
            Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

John states here that you have no need for a man to teach you who or where God is now that God dwells in you. He does not imply that teaching and learning, such as doctrine etc, is not a necessary element of the Christian life.

Comment

Wasn't there another thread on the same subject?

God gave teachers to edify and build up the Body until we all reach the knowledge of Jesus Christ.

We all need one another and the gifts each one of us receives is FOR the Body and not for ourselves - including those who are gifted to teach. I think it's prideful to indicate we do not need one part of the Body.

Can the eye say to the hand "I do not need you"?

I wrote this in the other thread as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post

God gave teachers to edify and build up the Body until we all reach the knowledge of Jesus Christ.
                  With 'until' being the keyword, when would you conclude this knowledge of Jesus Christ is reached? Do you think this is meaning on an individual basis, or do you believe this is talking about the body of Christ as a whole?

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
                    With 'until' being the keyword, when would you conclude this knowledge of Jesus Christ is reached? Do you think this is meaning on an individual basis, or do you believe this is talking about the body of Christ as a whole?
                    No! Emphatically No!!! We, nor any of us, have reached this stature. To think so is pride.
                    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

I think it's an on-going occurrence.

What are you thoughts on it? Do you believe as I? Or have we already attained?

Comment

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post
                        No! Emphatically No!!! We, nor any of us, have reached this stature. To think so is pride.

Logically, since this is tied in with teachers, and that when Christ returns teachers will no longer be needed in the same sense they are needed now, wouldn't that then mean this knowledge of Jesus Christ would have to happen before Jesus returns? BTW, I'm just thinking out loud and asking questions here. I have not formed an opinion one way or the other as of yet, in regards to when this should occur.

Comment

I think it's an on-going occurrence.

What are you thoughts on it? Do you believe as I? Or have we already attained?
                          If it's an ongoing experience, wouldn't that mean no one ever comes to the knowledge of Jesus Christ? Not saying it isn't an ongoing experience, basically pondering by asking questions like this.

Comment

If it's an ongoing experience, wouldn't that mean no one ever comes to the knowledge of Jesus Christ? Not saying it isn't an ongoing experience, basically pondering by asking questions like this.
                            No, there will be a point in which we all reach it. If you continue on the verse it says we will attain to the full measure of Christ, so until that happens it will be ongoing.

Comment

No, there will be a point in which we all reach it. If you continue on the verse it says we will attain to the full measure of Christ, so until that happens it will be ongoing.
                              Could you remind me which passage we are discussing so that I can look at it in context? I'm familiar with the passage, except I can't recall exactly which passage it is offhand. I tend to lose focus these days. Maybe from all the extra stress in my life?

Comment

Working...
                              X