What do you think about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about this?

A Church has a thing called a "friendship Register". You fill your name, adress, phone number, etc on the register each week you attend Church. This is information gets added to the Churches computer and you are then considered a "member"/ Not an official member, but they keep it for reference nonetheless. They've existed for about 6 years, but then have decided to take everyones information and make it public to the Church community on their website. Anyone who attends the Church can go on the website and see this information. Personally I find it appauling. So much that I asked to be removed from their website, to no longer be sent mail or recieve phone calls from them. Basically I left. Not just because of that, there was also the hypocrisy, deceit, lies and so on, but that ticked me off quite a bit. They claim their privacy policy saysn something about it, but they dont make it public for anyone to read, and it says nowhere on the form that it will be published on their website. Pretty dispicable.

Why are you posting this again? You already posted this exact same thing once before on October 12th, 2008 at 5:57pm right here:

Originally posted by 365_days_gone View Post
    A Church has a thing called a "friendship Register". You fill your name, adress, phone number, etc on the register each week you attend Church. This is information gets added to the Churches computer and you are then considered a "member"/ Not an official member, but they keep it for reference nonetheless. They've existed for about 6 years, but then have decided to take everyones information and make it public to the Church community on their website. Anyone who attends the Church can go on the website and see this information. Personally I find it appauling. So much that I asked to be removed from their website, to no longer be sent mail or recieve phone calls from them. Basically I left. Not just because of that, there was also the hypocrisy, deceit, lies and so on, but that ticked me off quite a bit. They claim their privacy policy saysn something about it, but they dont make it public for anyone to read, and it says nowhere on the form that it will be published on their website. Pretty dispicable.
    ----------------------------------------------
    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
      Why are you posting this again? You already posted this exact same thing once before on October 12th, 2008 at 5:57pm right here:
      1. no responces.

2. more suitable forum.

Comment

Originally posted by 365_days_gone View Post
        1. no responces.

2. more suitable forum.
        Well, at least you got a response this time.
        ----------------------------------------------
        When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
          Well, at least you got a response this time.
          Thanks.
          Do you have an opinion about it?

Comment

Hello 365;

It reminds me of this story:

Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. Matthew 25:1-4.

So there is no perfect church, till both parts be separated IMHO.

Fareyewell
            Stay healthy

"Think white and get serious"

sigpic

Comment

Does it violate God's laws? doubtful? Does it violate man's laws concerning privacy? maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Veretax View Post
                Does it violate God's laws? doubtful? Does it violate man's laws concerning privacy? maybe.
                The Mosaic Law contains a building statute concerning guardrails on the roof. The principle behind this statute is the concern property owners should have with regard to the safety of those living with them. Putting a guardrail where people are in danger of suffering injury or death demonstrates a property owner's care for the welfare of others.

To put someone's name and personal information on the internet is akin to removing all the guardrails. It puts the welfare of the church members at risk of identity theft, which can lead to financial ruin. To share this information without a person's consent is criminal, I think. But if not, it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by BroRog View Post
                  The Mosaic Law contains a building statute concerning guardrails on the roof. The principle behind this statute is the concern property owners should have with regard to the safety of those living with them. Putting a guardrail where people are in danger of suffering injury or death demonstrates a property owner's care for the welfare of others.

To put someone's name and personal information on the internet is akin to removing all the guardrails. It puts the welfare of the church members at risk of identity theft, which can lead to financial ruin. To share this information without a person's consent is criminal, I think. But if not, it should be.

I'm not saying I agree that they did it, my initial reaction since its not my church is, more of a puzzle than anything. Personally I'd be against it on my church, not without certain securities. However, how many churches have membership books complete with birthdays, ages, addresses etc that are freely available to anyone who walks in and picks one up? How is that different than this?

Comment

Originally posted by Veretax View Post
                    I'm not saying I agree that they did it, my initial reaction since its not my church is, more of a puzzle than anything. Personally I'd be against it on my church, not without certain securities. However, how many churches have membership books complete with birthdays, ages, addresses etc that are freely available to anyone who walks in and picks one up? How is that different than this?

1. I worked at two churches and there is no way they allowed anyone to receive info about another member or guest. I would not trust any church that did allow it.
                    2. You are not very anonymous if you go in and request information. No crazy will walk into a church and request info on another person, however, it would be easy enough to pull info off the net.

Comment

Working...
                    X