Forgiveness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgiveness?

Does forgiveness require an acknowledgement of an offense? In other words do I have to say I'm sorry before I can be forgiven?

Re: Forgiveness?

Originally posted by nimblewillsgrace View Post
    Does forgiveness require an acknowledgement of an offense? In other words do I have to say I'm sorry before I can be forgiven?
    What you are required to do is this if "you" offend another:

Matthew 5:23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

So, to answer your question... the answer is YES, say you're sorry to them and God can accept your offerings at your church. Now, whether or not the offended person reconciles or forgives you... you did what God asks of you.
    Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
      What you are required to do is this if "you" offend another:

Matthew 5:23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

So, to answer your question... the answer is YES, say you're sorry to them and God can accept your offerings at your church. Now, whether or not the offended person reconciles or forgives you... you did what God asks of you.
      So if I offended you, you couldn't forgive me until I admitted an offense?

Comment

I think to God yes....

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Comment

If to man... it depends. If I knew what you did and you knew what you did and you apologized, I would forgive. But some folks are more sensitive and perhaps there are times we have to eat some humble pie in order to not cause strife within the body.

Comment

From that perspective I would consider what Matthew 6:14-15 has to say on the matter.

Matthew 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
            15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

The way it looks to me, we are expected to forgive others, regardless, if we expect the Father to forgive us. If you offend someone, but do not seek forgiveness, and that the person refuses to forgive you until you do, it seems like that person is just as guilty as you are, but in another sort of way.

Comment

No... I can forgive you anytime but you see, God has a plan to assist those who are unforgiving. If I am unforgiving and WILL not forgive you until you have approached me FOR forgiveness, God has established a means for this to happen to help us all out.

Forgiveness is THAT important... so important that God makes the offender GO TO the person they offended and reconcile with them. Saying "sorry" is a very simple beginning to get this forgiving ball rolling.

Pride prevents this ball from even beginning to roll as the offenDER refuses to put their gift down at the altar due to pride and also pridefully continues to offer it to God despite what God has said. Only pride would make a Christian rebel against these scriptures WHEN they KNOW they hurt someone and they ignore those who they hurt.
              Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by LandShark View Post
                I think to God yes....

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
                Well.... Not the initial one.... If so, I'd still be confessing after 30 years
                Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
                  From that perspective I would consider what Matthew 6:14-15 has to say on the matter.

Matthew 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
                  15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

The way it looks to me, we are expected to forgive others, regardless, if we expect the Father to forgive us. If you offend someone, but do not seek forgiveness, and that the person refuses to forgive you until you do, it seems like that person is just as guilty as you are, but in another sort of way.
                  This was the next part I was about to raise too.

Concerning the "Lord's Prayer" or ideal prayer... only the portion about forgiveness is raised by Jesus as a block of instruction. WHY?

Because forgiveness is that important. ALL... ALL those who I've ministered to over the years who have had a life full of misery as if the devil himself had a wide open door to do whatever he wanted to make them miserable and NOTHING could stop his freedom in inflicting all he wanted... it boiled back to unforgivness. When the person finally broke down and forgave, even forgave a person dead many years but had "offended" them long ago... soon as they forgave them, they began to experience less and less misery. They began to experience a closer relation with God. They began to heal from whatever was afflicting them. I can go on, and on.

Why?
                  Slug1--out

Comment

No... I can forgive you anytime but you see, God has a plan to assist those who are unforgiving. If I am unforgiving and WILL not forgive you until you have approached me FOR forgiveness, God has established a means for this to happen to help us all out.

Forgiveness is THAT important... so important that God makes the offender GO TO the person they offended and reconcile with them. Saying "sorry" is a very simple beginning to get this forgiving ball rolling.

Pride prevents this ball from even beginning to roll as the offenDER refuses to put their gift down at the altar due to pride and also pridefully continues to offer it to God despite what God has said. Only pride would make a Christian rebel against these scriptures WHEN they KNOW they hurt someone and they ignore those who they hurt.
                    What if the offender has died?

Comment

What if the offender has died?
                      I replied to Dave about this in #9.
                      Slug1--out

Comment

I replied to Dave about this in #9.
                        So it sounds like you are saying that a person can be forgiven without acknowledging that they have done something wrong. But in your first post........................?

Comment

So it sounds like you are saying that a person can be forgiven without acknowledging that they have done something wrong. But in your first post........................?
                          They can... but God ENSURES this process is helped by informing the offenDER, they go and seek for reconciliation. A Christian who KNOWS they hurt another and they ignore this... only their pride is stopping them from doing what God wants them to do.

Pride also makes them weasel around the scriptures and they justify to themselves that they DON'T have to go seek reconciliation with those who they hurt.
                          Slug1--out

Comment

No, because it would be impossible to forgive someone unless you had contact with them and this is not always the case.
                            「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
                            撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

I look at it this way. I have to forgive others, but to have relationship with them again if they sinned against me there needs to be something on their part that happens to reconcile.

Does God forgive those I forgive...without them asking Him for forgiveness?
                              Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 1:30

Comment

Working...
                              X