Prosperity Preachers and Financial Gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prosperity Preachers and Financial Gain

Greetings all! I would encourage you to read this article, you can read some below I am just posting a little snip of it, if you would like to read the whole article click below, it is long, but so worth the read, pass it on! Blessings from Mexico.
    http://www.cristianismobiblico.com/prosperity.htm

-Lina Urban

Prosperity Preachers and Financial Gain

By Josef Urban

A Scriptural Examination of the Modern Doctrine of Financial Prosperity

...PROSPERITY PREACHERS VS. THE WORD OF GOD

The message of the Bible stands in direct contrast to what these prosperity preachers are saying…

The prosperity preachers are telling us to get more for ourselves, but Jesus told us to get rid of what we already have (Luke 12:33). Who’s right –them or the Lord Jesus?

The prosperity preachers are telling us that God wants us to be rich, but the Apostle Paul said that those who desire to be rich fall into many temptations and snares and foolish hurtful desires which drown men in destruction (1 Timothy 6:9). Who’s right –The prosperity preachers or the Apostle Paul?

The prosperity preachers are telling us not to be content with what we have but to command God to give us more, but the Bible commands us to be content with what we have (Hebrews 13:5). Who’s right –Them or the Word of God?

The prosperity preachers are telling us that God wants us to have the best that this world has to offer, but the Apostle John told us that if we live like the world and love the things of the world then we’re not even saved (1 John 2:15). Who’s right? Are we to believe them or the Apostle John?

The prosperity preachers are standing up in front of worldwide audiences and boasting about how much silver and gold they have, but the Apostle Peter had to say to a poor beggar that he didn’t even have any money to give him (Acts 3:6). Surely Peter wasn’t lying. He actually had no money! Who’s right –the prosperity preachers or the Apostle Peter?

The prosperity preachers have stood in the midst of the Church and used the things of God to accumulate mass monetary gain for themselves, but when Jesus entered the house of God, He did the opposite, He made a whip and cleared out those who were in it to make money (Mark 11:15). Has the Lord changed His mind? –Never! He’s the same yesterday, today and forever!

The prosperity preachers are telling us that God wants us to be rich, increased with goods, and have need of nothing, but the Lord Jesus said that those who are such make Him want to vomit (Revelation 3:16-17).

The prosperity preachers are telling us to serve them and to give to their ministry, but the Lord Jesus came to serve us and gave all that He had (Mark 10:45).

The prosperity preachers are telling us to give to their ministries and that in return we will be extraordinarily blessed by God, but when a man in the Bible tried to give money to the Apostle Peter in return for the blessing of the Holy Ghost, the Apostle rebuked and condemned him (Acts 8:18-23).

The prosperity preachers are telling us that they deserve to be rich because of their great anointing and that we must give to them, but the man of God Elisha wouldn’t even accept an offering from a man healed under his ministry, and furthermore, when his servant went and collected the offering afterwards without Elisha’s consent, Elisha rebuked him and the Lord cursed him and his descendants forever (2 Kings 5).

The prosperity preachers are telling us that the world should love us because of our prosperity and desire to be like us as a result, but the Lord Jesus pronounced dreadful sorrows on those who are spoken well of by the world (Luke 6:26).

The prosperity preachers are telling us that Jesus came to give us life more abundantly and that this means that we are to have an abundance of the material things that we possess, but the Lord Jesus said that this abundant life is Eternal Life and that life doesn’t consist of the material things which a man possesses (John 10:10, Luke 12:15). Should we believe these prominent wealthy preachers, or the meek and lowly Lord Jesus?

The prosperity preachers are telling us to use God to get money, that God wants us to have more money, but Jesus said that we cannot serve both God and Mammon (Matthew 6:24). The Lord said that we will either love God and hate Mammon, or else be devoted to God and despise Mammon, but that there could be no neutrality, and no aspiring after both. So should we believe them as they serve God and money at the same time (as proven by their extravagant and luxurious lifestyles), or should we believe Jesus who despised the world’s good in order to please His Father in all things?

The prosperity preachers tell us that Abraham was rich and because of this, we should be rich too. They tell us, according to Galatians 3:14, that we are to receive the “blessing of Abraham”, and therefore, since Abraham was blessed and rich, we should be too. Yet, the Scripture makes it clear that the “blessing of Abraham” isn’t earthly riches: it’s eternal life! “That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.” The blessing of Abraham is the promise of the Holy Spirit by which we’re adopted into God’s family and are saved. It is a blatant twist of Scripture to take this and turn it into a promise of earthly prosperity and riches.

Furthermore, Abraham was prosperous in this earth. That is obvious. But this doesn’t mean that every Christian should be. God had a plan to make a huge, great nation out of Abraham, and it was necessary for him to have abundance in order to fulfill the promise of God to make a great nation out of him, a nation through which the Messiah, Christ Jesus would come to save mankind from sin. Obviously God isn’t planning on making a huge and great earthly nation out of every Christian, so it isn’t necessary to give such material abundance to them. And even furthermore, it has to be remembered that Abraham didn’t even want to aim after earthly riches since he was seeking nothing of this earth, but was “looking for a city whose builder and maker is God” (Hebrews 11:10). Abraham proved that he was willing to forsake everything of this world to gain God’s approval. He despised not only Mammon for the sake of his love for God, but his own son Isaac as well, as proved by the fact that he offered him upon the altar (Genesis 22). Abraham was a holy man of God that sought God’s approval no matter the cost, and despised anything this world has to offer for the sake of inheriting the eternal city of God in the age to come.

The prosperity preachers tell us that Solomon was rich and prosperous, so therefore we should be too. –But this is completely erroneous, because Solomon was in clear disobedience to the Law of God which commanded that the king of Israel not multiply much silver and gold for himself (Deuteronomy 17:15-20). Solomon disobeyed that to such an extent that in his palace, silver was regarded as mere chump change in comparison (2 Chronicles 9:20). Solomon also took many wives for himself, over 900 in fact, which was also in clear transgression of the command of God. His heart was turned away from the Lord and he even built pagan shrines to false gods in Israel (Nehemiah 13:26, 1 Kings 11:1-8). Solomon became a backslider and for a season he was in rebellion against the Lord, seeking happiness in things of this world rather than in God –this is exactly what the book of Ecclesiastes tells us. So why on earth would we want to set up Solomon as an example for the Church to follow? Dare we aspire after earthly things like he did and have our hearts turn from the Living God? Thank God that Solomon learned his lesson and came around in the end and forsook his pursuit of earthly pleasures and riches and learned to be obedient in the fear of God (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14). May we learn the same thing from his example and not from falling into the same error ourselves!...
    TO READ THE REST GO TO:
    http://www.cristianismobiblico.com/prosperity.htm

Matthew 6:33
    But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

First believe on God and get saved recieve the HOLY GHOST and then you will prosper. Not the other way around...
    I will sing of your works & your mighty ways
    My Rock & My Salvation
    Who will hide me in the time of trouble?
    Who is like the lord, so full of gace and truth!

Comment

Originally posted by JesusReignsForever View Post
      Matthew 6:33
      But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

First believe on God and get saved recieve the HOLY GHOST and then you will prosper. Not the other way around...
      Greetings, instead of jumping back without even reading the article, why not seek God first, humble yourself, pray, study this and then respond. Grace upon you.

Lina
      www.puregospeltruth.com

Comment

Because prosperity preaching is ridiculous and I have seen it enough to know it is backwards. You cant live in sin and prosper, you cant get by with just being a good person, and that is what Prosperity and prosperity preachers teach. My opinion. First seek ye the kingdom of God and then all those things will be added. Was Jesus walking around preaching prosperity first and then get your house in order?? Absolutely Not.
        My Rock & My Salvation

Comment

Originally posted by JesusReignsForever View Post
          Because prosperity preaching is ridiculous and I have seen it enough to know it is backwards. You cant live in sin and prosper, you cant get by with just being a good person, and that is what Prosperity and prosperity preachers teach. My opinion. First seek ye the kingdom of God and then all those things will be added. Was Jesus walking around preaching prosperity first and then get your house in order?? Absolutely Not.
          Thanks for the clarification.
          People can live in sin and prosper financially, we see that all over the world. The devil prospers people as we see him tempting our Lord. I know so many rich people who are wealthy, but just as much treasure they have stored up, as much sin they have stored up in their hearts.

As far as a Christian, prosperity is not the norm for everyone, its clear in scripture. That is what the article was about, coming against the false teaching that is out there, a false greedy gospel. And focusus on the clear scriptural view about mammon and how it does and does not apply to the Christian.

Grace,
          Lina Urban
          www.puregospeltruth.com

Comment

Originally posted by New Creation View Post
            Thanks for the clarification.
            People can live in sin and prosper financially, we see that all over the world. The devil prospers people as we see him tempting our Lord. I know so many rich people who are wealthy, but just as much treasure they have stored up, as much sin they have stored up in their hearts.

As far as a Christian, prosperity is not the norm for everyone, its clear in scripture. That is what the article was about, coming against the false teaching that is out there, a false greedy gospel. And focusus on the clear scriptural view about mammon and how it does and does not apply to the Christian.

Grace,
            Lina Urban
            www.puregospeltruth.com
            My pleasure My dear sister... and I did read the article it was good.
            My Rock & My Salvation

Comment

3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Strong's definition of prosper

Euodoo (yoo-od-o'-o);
              Word Origin: Greek, Verb, Strong #: 2137

1. to grant a prosperous and expeditious journey, to lead by a direct and easy way
              2. to grant a successful issue, to cause to prosper
              3. to prosper, be successful

KJV Word Usage and Count
              prosper 3
              have a prosperous journey 1

Comment

Here are a few scriptures that might help.

(Luke 12:15 NIV) Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

(16) And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. (17) He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.' (18) "Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. (19) And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." (20) But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?' (21) "This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God."

(Mat 6:19 NIV) "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. (20) But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. (21) For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Chad

Comment

Here are a few scriptures that might help.

(Luke 12:15 NIV) Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

(16) And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. (17) He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.' (18) "Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. (19) And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." (20) But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?' (21) "This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God."
                  A good reason to sow into bountifully the Ministry, so when you are in a position to receive bountifully when you are in need.

(Mat 6:19 NIV) "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. (20) But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. (21) For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
                  Another good reason to sow into bountifully the Ministry. It's better than FDIC Insurance.

Comment

In Matt 6 Verse 24, Christ says "You cannot serve God and money". Notice Christ does not say Satan in this verse, he says money. The love of Money is the "root" of all evil, but not evil in itself.

The rest of the verses before verse 33 tell you what Christ promises his followers. Food, water, and clothing. Notice that money, big houses, fancy cars, etc.... are not on the list. All these things is food, water, and clothing, and nothing more.

Matt 6:33 is not talking about financial prosperity, but it is usually preached this way in church.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamplighter View Post
                      Verse 24. You cannot serve God and money. Notice Christ does not say Satan in this verse, he says money. Money is the "root" of all evil, but not evil itself.
                      Actually, money is not the root of all evil. It is the love of money that is the root of all evil . . .

I apologize as well, Lamplighter . . .

When I posted I hit the wrong button and edited your post by mistake. Sorry about that . . .
                      "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

In Matt 6 Verse 24, Christ says "You cannot serve God and money". Notice Christ does not say Satan in this verse, he says money. The love of Money is the "root" of all evil, but not evil in itself.

The rest of the verses before verse 33 tell you what Christ promises his followers. Food, water, and clothing. Notice that money, big houses, fancy cars, etc.... are not on the list. All these things is food, water, and clothing, and nothing more.

Matt 6:33 is not talking about financial prosperity, but it is usually preached this way in church.
                        What life style do you think god will provide for you in Heaven?

Comment

Originally posted by Prosperity View Post
                          What life style do you think god will provide for you in Heaven?
                          I won't be living in Heaven. I will be living in New Jerusalem here on Earth. You can read about it in Revelation chapters 21-22.

Oh, and the mansion you think you are getting in Heaven that you sing about in hymnal songs, are not your own personal mansions, as the songs say. The Greek word for mansion is (mone) which means family abode or resting place. It's not talking about your own personal giant mansion, it's talking about your father's house as John 14:2 says.

Comment

Hi Prosperity,

A good reason to sow into bountifully the Ministry, so when you are in a position to receive bountifully when you are in need.

An interesting idea? but I have found out lately, it's perfectly acceptable to give money to ministries and for them to take your money (No questions asked), but it seems to be too controversial to talk about how they get the money and what they do with it.

Comment

I won't be living in Heaven. I will be living in New Jerusalem here on Earth. You can read about it in Revelation chapters 21-22.

Oh, and the mansion you think you are getting in Heaven that you sing about in hymnal songs, are not your own personal mansions, as the songs say. The Greek word for mansion is (mone) which means family abode or resting place. It's not talking about your own personal giant mansion, it's talking about your father's house as John 14:2 says.
                              I guess you haven't heard the kindom of heaven has come.

So you think you will be living in a studio apartment in the city of God?

Comment

Working...
                              X